iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 30, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #5,161 of 14,596
Those are not OpAmps, they are transistors in that package that look like OpAmps. There are transistors arrays underneath as well, and those are discrete architect

@xand mentioned the buffers would be discrete design then it would be the little guy that isn’t circled in the picture.

The Amp11 and Amp8 are totally discrete design as transistors are being used instead of an integrated chip system or OpAmp. I don’t see why calling them a discrete design is an oximoron? That is a strange statement , unless someone doesn’t know what he is talking about

An OpAmp is more than just transistors being printed on a chip and the transistors in a chip package is less than an OpAmp
While not an engineer, I understand the baisc differences between an opamp and a transistor array (and monolithic amp chips. The original poster used this phrase "Usually using discrete chips for an amplifier is superior to using op amps for an amplifier but alot depends on the exact implementation". It struck me that discrete chips was a bit confusing - and not the usualy way those terms are used.

My point was that the term 'discrete' in the two-channel world, refers to a circuit built from indivudual caps, resistors, and semicondictors (or tubes) . A chip, in the sense of a substrate with a complete circuit contained in it, is NOT discrete- it is integrated, hence the term 'integrated circuit'.

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #5,162 of 14,596
Those are not OpAmps, they are transistors in that package that look like OpAmps. There are transistors arrays underneath as well, and those are discrete architect

@xand mentioned the buffers would be discrete design then it would be the little guy that isn’t circled in the picture.

The Amp11 and Amp8 are totally discrete design as transistors are being used instead of an integrated chip system or OpAmp. I don’t see why calling them a discrete design is an oximoron? That is a strange statement , unless someone doesn’t know what he is talking about

An OpAmp is more than just transistors being printed on a chip and the transistors in a chip package is less than an OpAmp
I was not claiming that the iBasso product was not built from discrete parts (or even judging whether monolithic circuits on shared substartes were better or worse than discretes.... just that the phrase used seemed a bit self-contradictory.

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #5,163 of 14,596
I was not claiming that the iBasso product was not built from discrete parts (or even judging whether monolithic circuits on shared substartes were better or worse than discretes.... just that the phrase used seemed a bit self-contradictory.
The Amp11 has discrete output, those are built around transistors, resistors, capacitors as you mentioned, yet except the buffering stage that is using an OpAmp. I don’t see what is wrong with claiming those amp being discrete at all.

There are also tube amps that has solid state input and buffers while the output is tubes stages, and that still makes it a tube amp.

Do understand that Ibasso is working in a portable device where space limitations is a thing. The Amp8 was the very first one to carry out a discrete output stage in a portable player with Class A amplification. That still makes it a discrete amplifier

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #5,168 of 14,596
Hi,

Here: https://ibasso.cn/supports/firmware

You should give permission to your computer to download de files! Windows Defender detected as a virus! I gave permission to not consider it as a threat, downloaded and scanned it after download. There's no virus at all (of course).
I just updated it as well but this firmware is a developer version firmware, not a finalized firmware. No problem though.

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #5,169 of 14,596
Its a pure BALANCED AMP from iBasso....

Hahaha.. will be very interesting, seems iBasso is back on PURE AMP again.. hahaha..

1617160030958.png

Picture taken from FB..

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #5,171 of 14,596
178FCC4B-F47E-42AA-9941-4CAA708D1136.jpeg
from IBasso Facebook page right now

Mar 31, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #5,173 of 14,596
Though no impact is reported on SQ I find current shortages scary in terms of unlimited playground for DAP research and development and product line consistency - wasn't there just a shortage of certain DAC components leading to manufacturers changing complete DAP design? (I think it was Shanling but can be wrong...)

Maybe all is 1st world problem discussion but still...

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #5,175 of 14,596
Maybe times will come where our old dusty DAPs will increase in value as their internals cannot be reproduced....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back