iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Sep 2, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #1,741 of 2,153
I've just tried to do so now. Is this a shortcut to change screen brightness? It looks like the brightness is changing, but the screen itself just displays black. I've also tried to do a restore through the batch tool to no avail
It is possible the screen requires replacement. Have you contacted the distributor for your area or if bought directly, please contact me at paul@ibasso.com.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Sep 2, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #1,742 of 2,153
I installed the latest firmware and it has the same issue as the previous version which is that all tracks for a certain artist are combined together and just one album is shown per artist rather than several??

I am using apple lossless rips.

I'm having the same problem in "My Music->Album", but with FLAC files. Before anyone asks, I have done a factory reset twice and rescanned the SD cards many times. This bug is particularly annoying in that the songs for the albums are mixed together.

Album 1 Track 1 = Track 1
Album 2 Track 1 = Track 2
Album 3 Track 1 = Track 3
Album 1 Track 2 = Track 4
Album 2 Track 2 = Track 5
etc.

For instance, I bought the Steve Wilson Yes remixes from HDTracks. You can imagine the track order for that! Do I really have to create playlists just to listen to the albums themselves?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #1,743 of 2,153
I'm having the same problem in "My Music->Album", but with FLAC files. Before anyone asks, I have done a factory reset twice and rescanned the SD cards many times. This bug is particularly annoying in that the songs for the albums are mixed together.

etc.

For instance, I bought the Steve Wilson Yes remixes from HDTracks. You can imagine the track order for that! Do I really have to create playlists just to listen to the albums themselves?

Why not use folder view? Should be fine as long as the tracks are numbered and gapless is turned on.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #1,744 of 2,153

etc.

We found out what the problem is and this will be resolved in the next FW update.

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,746 of 2,153

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,747 of 2,153
Do you have an example of CUE files with gapless implemented?

Gapless isn't a cue implementation as far as I know. When you have one flac file and accompanying cue it should play gapless as if the one flac file was split into separate tracks. That's what the cue is for... It worked fine a few firmwares ago and it's been broken for the last 4 or 5 at least.

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #1,748 of 2,153
So i didnt post a proper review of the DX120 sound, if anyone is wondering i sold my Fiio X5ii so i didnt get a chance to compare. Using an AB selector i compared the sound to my X3ii, the x3ii in comparison sounded more conjested and had more noise with a smaller soundstage. The CS4348 DAC in the X3ii also added sparkle at the top which made it sound slightly fatiguing and unnatural, cymbols and the general upper registers of the graph were the most noticeable, everything sounded tinny or metallic in comparison like listening to music in a steel box. I believe its tuned this way to give the impression of detail when in effect it made the x3ii sound strange in comparison and notes had a longer decay with less separation on complicated tracks. Again i would not have likely noticed this without directly comparing to the DX120 since i always thought the x3ii sounded pretty good. The DX120 basically showed me what music should sound like. The DX120 was very noticeably quieter, cleaner and natural sounding and now i dont think i will really enjoy the x3ii anymore.

Next i compared to my Asus xonar d2 soundcard with objective 2 amp, while older has quad Burr Brown PCM1796 DAC's and EMI shielding around the card. For reference the X5ii which i just sold has a single Burr Brown PCM1792A. When selected i honestly could not tell the difference apart, i would have to test it on more tracks. The only real immediate difference i was able to notice was more background noise on some silent tracks like Norah Jones on the soundcard... similiar noise to using the balanced output on the DX120. With most music i doubt i would be able to tell the difference in a blind test between the soundcard and the DX120. I guess that means im keeping the soundcard since its already pretty good and i dont feel like im missing anything from the DX120.

I used the my hifiman 400i for testing, than repeated the procedure with my NAD HP50's and my EE846's (5BA's) (Knockoff shures SE846) just to eliminate any potential power issues with the 400i's between all players. The balance output was not used in the DX120. I tested the soundcard by itself with and without the objective 2 amp, i couldn't tell the difference since i have no way to quickly do an A-B switch. The noise levels with and without the amp to the soundcard seem about the same.

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #1,750 of 2,153
For example, two rip versions (1. splitted tracks and 2. one image+CUE) of this album - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1K5L7yUpQMLrYg0PoV2mwZKNN4dKxfo5V

etc.

Please email me at paul@ibasso.com and I will send you a firmware to try.

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,753 of 2,153
Looking for a no frills, good SQ DAP. Since iBasso DX120 fit the bill I read all the pages.
I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to these devices and a bit put off by the software issues.
I only intend to load full albums and play them as such.
Would I encounter any of the glitches with this kind of usage?

Sep 15, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #1,754 of 2,153
Looking for a no frills, good SQ DAP. Since iBasso DX120 fit the bill I read all the pages.
I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to these devices and a bit put off by the software issues.
I only intend to load full albums and play them as such.
Would I encounter any of the glitches with this kind of usage?

It's a great player and has great sound quality. Just rip your albums into individual flac files and keep the artwork 900x900 max. I do around 500x500. If you do that you shouldn't have any issues.

Sep 15, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #1,755 of 2,153
It's a great player and has great sound quality. Just rip your albums into individual flac files and keep the artwork 900x900 max. I do around 500x500. If you do that you shouldn't have any issues.

Thank you.
I can do without the artwork completely if possible. Was debating between the DX 120 and Plenum D or D2. Due to being faster I would prefer the ibasso if no glitches showed.
Couldn't find much comparison sound wise, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back