iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Aug 20, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #1,713 of 2,153
Hey guys new to this thread, need some help.

Just bought my lg g7 and so far so good.....tought the quad dac thingy will amaze me, and unfortunately it didnt. didnt like the way it was tuned, weird eq but overall a great phone. So im asking what is the best ibasso I should buy in all of their lineups? I would prefer a neutral sound sig with a bump in sub bass, organic mids and controlled highs since I dont like treble to be too much. Thanks

Aug 20, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #1,714 of 2,153
Hey guys new to this thread, need some help.

Just bought my lg g7 and so far so good.....tought the quad dac thingy will amaze me, and unfortunately it didnt. didnt like the way it was tuned, weird eq but overall a great phone. So im asking what is the best ibasso I should buy in all of their lineups? I would prefer a neutral sound sig with a bump in sub bass, organic mids and controlled highs since I dont like treble to be too much. Thanks

The more DAC's a device has, the more they can charge. From what i've read lately alot of it is a marketing gimmick in order to charge more for the device. More DAC's makes it more complex and alot more areas to mess up in the circuit design and software/firmware. I think you would have to spend alot more to have multiple DAC's sound better, than the question remains of whether or not we hear a difference. Crosstalk, Distortion, Signal to Noise, stereo separation are well beyond what humans can hear for example. In my opinion the only reason manufacturers have been implementing dual DAC's in budget and mid-fi DAP's is because the Fiio X5iii did it so everyone had to match it for marketing reasons. For the record the X5 3rd gen sounded worse than the x5 2nd gen...more noise, less details etc. Ibasso is like a honey badger with the DX120, lol and honey badger doesnt give a S**T...single DAC it is.

With the DX120 you have control over the sound with the digital filters and sound modes. The DX120 has a nice addictive sub bass with my slightly modded hifiman 400i's, not as much when plugged into my little dot i+ with GE JAN tubes but a very mild sub bass bump in any case. The DX150 cost's alot more and with its dual DAC's based on what i read doesnt sound any better. In fact with the stock AMP for the DX150 i've read the DX120 sounds more clear and resolving and has a better battery life. Im loving the sound signature of Ibasso, the sound quality is nothing less than excellent so you really have to ask yourself what features you are looking for. I specifically wanted to avoid android, part of the reason for a dedicated music player is to be liberated from my cell phone which is otherwise an extension of work that never leaves me alone. I get calls 10:30PM and text's about work for example...so again you need to ask yourself what you want in the features. Not only this i find that if i have access to the web on a device i will google random crap instead of sleeping. The DX120 is back to the basics and has every feature you want in a device that plays local music. The DX120 re-invents the term less is more, just you and the music.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #1,715 of 2,153
The more DAC's a device has, the more they can charge. From what i've read lately alot of it is a marketing gimmick in order to charge more for the device. More DAC's makes it more complex and alot more areas to mess up in the circuit design and software/firmware. I think you would have to spend alot more to have multiple DAC's sound better, than the question remains of whether or not we hear a difference. Crosstalk, Distortion, Signal to Noise, stereo separation are well beyond what humans can hear for example. In my opinion the only reason manufacturers have been implementing dual DAC's in budget and mid-fi DAP's is because the Fiio X5iii did it so everyone had to match it for marketing reasons. For the record the X5 3rd gen sounded worse than the x5 2nd gen...more noise, less details etc. Ibasso is like a honey badger with the DX120, lol and honey badger doesnt give a S**T...single DAC it is.

With the DX120 you have control over the sound with the digital filters and sound modes. The DX120 has a nice addictive sub bass with my slightly modded hifiman 400i's, not as much when plugged into my little dot i+ with GE JAN tubes but a very mild sub bass bump in any case. The DX150 cost's alot more and with its dual DAC's based on what i read doesnt sound any better. In fact with the stock AMP for the DX150 i've read the DX120 sounds more clear and resolving and has a better battery life. Im loving the sound signature of Ibasso, the sound quality is nothing less than excellent so you really have to ask yourself what features you are looking for. I specifically wanted to avoid android, part of the reason for a dedicated music player is to be liberated from my cell phone which is otherwise an extension of work that never leaves me alone. I get calls 10:30PM and text's about work for example...so again you need to ask yourself what you want in the features. Not only this i find that if i have access to the web on a device i will google random crap instead of sleeping. The DX120 is back to the basics and has every feature you want in a device that plays local music. The DX120 re-invents the term less is more, just you and the music.

I think lg's quad dac is still good thats why some people that I know of sell their more expensive daps and settle on lg phones, its has good detail retrieval, wide soundstage, black background etc, I just dont really like how it sounds, low freq are of good quality but lacks quantity, midrange tuning is somewhat weird, and treble region lacks control. However it matches well on some of my headphones, but not all.

I think ill try the dx120, the dx200 and 220 is too expensive.

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #1,716 of 2,153
I think lg's quad dac is still good thats why some people that I know of sell their more expensive daps and settle on lg phones, its has good detail retrieval, wide soundstage, black background etc, I just dont really like how it sounds, low freq are of good quality but lacks quantity, midrange tuning is somewhat weird, and treble region lacks control. However it matches well on some of my headphones, but not all.

I think ill try the dx120, the dx200 and 220 is too expensive.

The dx120 definately does not disappoint. One has to think though that when it comes to DAP's there is a point of diminishing returns... that once you reach a point in audio that anything perceived as an upgrade is very subjective as anything that is quantified is well above what humans can hear or process. I think that's why they released dual and quad DACs just to shake up the market more than to increase sound quality. It could be argued that audio has not changed very much at all since the release of CD's, another reason multiple DAC's are a thing. Two are perceived as better than one right?. If audio advanced so quickly why do people still use HD650s as reference headphones which are 16 years old.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #1,717 of 2,153
The dx120 definately does not disappoint. One has to think though that when it comes to DAP's there is a point of diminishing returns, I think that's why they released dual and quad DACs just to shake up the market more than to increase sound quality. It could be argued that audio has not changed very much at all since the release of CD's, another reason multiple DAC's are a thing. Two are perceived as better than one right?. If audio advanced so quickly why do people still use HD650s as reference headphones which are 16 years old.
DACs are a far cry different from headphones, the technology, for one thing. But for me, I would never use the HD650 for a reference. The only way they sound decent to me, is balanced. But to DAPs compared to headphones, to that, there is no equality in changes. And two dac chips does make sense and there are plenty of papers on it. But like Paul says, the most important thing is to enjoy the music.

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #1,720 of 2,153
the M11 is $150-$200 more than the DX120.
I haven't actually read any comparisons, it depends on what you are looking for. Sound quality or features, since the DX120 subjectively sounds better than the DX150 with the stock amp and the same or better than the Hiby R6, I wouldn't be surprised if it sounds better than the M11. So again, the DX 120 you are paying for hardware and implementation which translates into sound quality whos R&D was somewhat subsidized by ibasso more expensive offerings. The fiio M11 you are paying for a full feature set and R&D. Like a Swiss Army knife... a steak knife is always going to cut steak better and for less money. Guess which DAP is the steak knife, lol. Just my opinion of course... Ibasso seems to have much better support if that means anything, my Fiio devices were never really fixed of their firmware bugs in the past. Advertised features never worked in my fiios. If that occurred with a north american based company they would have a lawsuit just like the one against NVIDIA a few years ago.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,722 of 2,153
Paul, when will the DX120 be able to play CUE without pauses?
1. We found a bug when playing cue. there is an unexpected repeat of the sound after a song is finished when playing ape. We will fix this bug.

2. Cue is for a whole recording of a CD, we can't change anything of the recording. If there is a stop between two songs then this will occur when playing the album. We haven't found a way to change this.
cleardot.gif

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 28, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,723 of 2,153
1. We found a bug when playing cue. there is an unexpected repeat of the sound after a song is finished when playing ape. We will fix this bug.

2. Cue is for a whole recording of a CD, we can't change anything of the recording. If there is a stop between two songs then this will occur when playing the album. We haven't found a way to change this.
cleardot.gif

It's not so much the stop between songs and gapless removing it. It's when albums have segues or live albums that end up with pauses that are not there. Like dark side of the moon for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back