iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Jul 25, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #1,576 of 2,153
has anyone posted a comparison/review next to the Shanling m5S yet? The only thing preventing me from buying this right now is the whole Dual DAC thing which the shanling m5s has. Or is dual dac a marketing gimmick? I understand channel separation is better with dual dac's but its excellent on the dx120 already...far above the limit of human hearing i would think.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #1,579 of 2,153
I also find the resettting of the play mode annoying

plus i would welcome 2 additional features

1. replaygain
2. crossfeed

I do think this is the best sounding firmware (obviously subjective) it sounds wonderful through the 3.5mm se

d

Jul 30, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #1,581 of 2,153
Alright i caved...Mine should be arriving on Thursday in earth brown. Hope DHL doesn't ding me for customs but i highly suspect they will unless Ibasso took care of that. Its going to be some time before i get a review going as i need to burn it in...i also bought a 4 Conductor 2.5mm plug to solder on to my hifiman 400i's to convert them to balanced...so i need to get that done. I really only have the Fiio X5ii to compare to, perhaps that will help some of you.

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #1,582 of 2,153
Alright i caved...Mine should be arriving on Thursday in earth brown. Hope DHL doesn't ding me for customs but i highly suspect they will unless Ibasso took care of that. Its going to be some time before i get a review going as i need to burn it in...i also bought a 4 Conductor 2.5mm plug to solder on to my hifiman 400i's to convert them to balanced...so i need to get that done. I really only have the Fiio X5ii to compare to, perhaps that will help some of you.

I got mine from Ibasso directly and went thru customs with no charge/complications. Hopefully yours has the same luck.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,585 of 2,153
So i got dinged for customs from DHL, realistically though im not sure what ibasso declared on the commercial invoice but it was actually less than what GST would have been had i bought the item local...so no complaints there. For what its worth if you purchase from penonaudio they actually sell it for 230 british pounds stirling which is actually cheaper when converted to CAD than USD to CAD. I bought from ibasso direct so i guess that wasn't an option...it could be for someone else though in canada.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #1,586 of 2,153
Got mine in the mail! First impressions the sound is amazing through my CHI-FI SE846's 5BA...i dont remember them sounding this smooth and yet detailed out of my X5ii. Excited to try them from the balanced output when i get the cables..also when the device gets a chance to break in. Are we supposed to burn in the balanced output and standard output separately for 100 hours each?

The earth brown is simply beautiful and luxurious it doesn't even look brown more like a rich beige titanium color, the screen is also sharp and responsive which really exceeded my expectations. Its larger and heavier than i would have thought but somehow has a premium classy feel to it. It really makes my X5ii feel cheap in comparison and very dated. My only initial complaint is the delay between switching tracks, i can live with that though. Its a very simple device with nothing extra...and i love it!

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #1,588 of 2,153
My DX120 shows firmware 2.4.56 but why don't I see that in the firmware downloads. I see 2.3.53 which came before and 2.4.59 which supposedly came after.

Anyway....is it worth upgrading from my current 2.4.56 to the latest 2.5.68?
from what i've read no...but i did anyways. Thats the first thing i did...they improved shuffle apparently and thats good enough for me to upgrade. My x5ii shuffle mode sucked.

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #1,590 of 2,153
is gapless play switched on?
Yeah it is, works flawless unless I skip a track manually. Honestly it's fine though...we are dealing with massive flac files here so i think that's pretty understandable. The UI is actually pretty smooth all things considered. Yeah you can plop a more powerful processor but there goes your battery life. I realized all my Sade music files are just one big flac file per album and the player separates them out with an m3u playlist dumped in each folder. Those are the longest to skip/load which is understandable, the flac files that are seperate are better it seems as are MP3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back