iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Aug 1, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #1,591 of 2,153
Got mine in the mail! First impressions the sound is amazing through my CHI-FI SE846's 5BA...i dont remember them sounding this smooth and yet detailed out of my X5ii. Excited to try them from the balanced output when i get the cables..also when the device gets a chance to break in. Are we supposed to burn in the balanced output and standard output separately for 100 hours each?

The earth brown is simply beautiful and luxurious it doesn't even look brown more like a rich beige titanium color, the screen is also sharp and responsive which really exceeded my expectations. Its larger and heavier than i would have thought but somehow has a premium classy feel to it. It really makes my X5ii feel cheap in comparison and very dated. My only initial complaint is the delay between switching tracks, i can live with that though. Its a very simple device with nothing extra...and i love it!

Glad to hear you got yours! For burn-in just use the provided burn-in cable in the balanced output for the 100hrs. No need to do it thru the 3.5(std) output. I myself went with the blue color, but I just love blue :) I was tempted by the earth brown however...pics would be nice.

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #1,592 of 2,153
My DX120 shows firmware 2.4.56 but why don't I see that in the firmware downloads. I see 2.3.53 which came before and 2.4.59 which supposedly came after.

Anyway....is it worth upgrading from my current 2.4.56 to the latest 2.5.68?

I believe it was mentioned before that there was a typo from iBasso regarding the name of that firmware. I received mine from the factory in June with the 2.4.56 FW installed so I think the .59 is the typo and should have been labeled .56

Though I haven't done it yet myself, several users here have commented positively about the latest FW(2.5.68). I will try it very soon.

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #1,594 of 2,153
I've also read before that after choosing the gapless playback you need to re-scan the library and turn off/on the device. The only time I've encountered that gapless doesn't work is when I have a whole-album FLAC file.

That's my issue than...I hate those whole album flac files...they are a pain to play in groove music with windows 10 also.

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #1,595 of 2,153
IMG_20190801_181510.jpg
IMG_20190801_181456.jpg
IMG_20190801_181444.jpg
IMG_20190801_181431.jpg
IMG_20190801_181416.jpg
IMG_20190801_181408.jpg
Glad to hear you got yours! For burn-in just use the provided burn-in cable in the balanced output for the 100hrs. No need to do it thru the 3.5(std) output. I myself went with the blue color, but I just love blue :) I was tempted by the earth brown however...pics would be nice.

Too lazy to take out the DSLR...cell phone pictures should be good until I get a review going in the future.

I'm done with Fiio, I even bought the X1ii for the wife and it was complete garbage...borderline not usable. The scroll touch wheel was worse than a 15 year old iPod. Fiio can continue to release their M series with wifi and Bluetooth and a bunch of mainstream useless features at the expense of sound quality...the older x7/X5 were their last decent models. Ibasso really hit a home run with this one and I'm happy for them to take my money if they keep up products like these, lol.

At any rate it's clear ibasso has leveraged years of R & D to bring the cost down on the DX120, meanwhile fiio is catering to the masses...selling their souls in the process lol

Btw just discovered another cool feature if anyone is not aware...when switching from headphone out to line out the volume remembers it's last setting in each mode...no more blasted headphones when unplugging from line out the next day...cool!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #1,596 of 2,153
Yes, I think I hear a slightly more spacious and layered sound. This latest update firmware seems more stable so far, the shuffle mode now works well.

To my ears their latest FW sounds even better then free filedizer version, that is an excellent upgrading, i used to listen through my home amplifier LO output to get the better sound then the SE port, but with this latest FW the LO doesnt sound any upgade at all for me, well just back to simple SE output. i love them, great job paul & the engineers.. .

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #1,598 of 2,153
To my ears their latest FW sounds even better then free filedizer version, that is an excellent upgrading, i used to listen through my home amplifier LO output to get the better sound then the SE port, but with this latest FW the LO doesnt sound any upgade at all for me, well just back to simple SE output. i love them, great job paul & the engineers.. .

cant comment on the sound change but the shuffle mode does work really well, scanning on 2x128gb cards is surprisingly quick and the best part is you can still select and play music though "directory" while the cards are scanning.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #1,602 of 2,153
the announcement of upcoming DX160 (a possible DX-150 successor) seemed more suited to a DX150/200/220 thread than DX120.

:wink:But i dont really know ...so here it is again lol

-no amp modules?
The fact that there are no amp modules and the fact that when you add 40 to dx80...you get dx120...add 40 to dx120 and you get dx160. I believe it might very well be the dx120's successor. Cirrus logic chips though...Hmm my fiio X3ii has a Cirrus logic 4398 chip.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #1,603 of 2,153
The fact that there are no amp modules and the fact that when you add 40 to dx80...you get dx120...add 40 to dx120 and you get dx160. I believe it might very well be the dx120's successor. Cirrus logic chips though...Hmm my fiio X3ii has a Cirrus logic 4398 chip.

it head to head to hiby R5, they come with the same dual chip dac, let's wait & see how it go with dx160.

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #1,605 of 2,153
DX120FW-v2.6.94

Improvements with this firmware:
1. When deleting a song from a playlist, now only the song is removed from the playlist. The song will not be deleted from the Micro SD card.
2. Rectified the bug that a playlist that was created but had no songs added could not be accessed.
3. Added a current playing music indicator to the playlist view.
4. Rectified the bug that higher resolution WV files were not supported.
5. Rectified the bug that cue file name can't have some special symbols.

Instruction For Firmware update:
1. Extract the zip file and copy the update.img onto a micro SD card root folder.
2. Insert the micro SD card into the SD card slot2. Make sure there is no Micro SD card placed in Slot 1.
3. Select Settings-Advanced-System update (the system update option appears only after the update.img is detected).
4. Click OK to start the firmware update.
5. The DX120 will reboot after the firmware update is completed.
6. Select Settings-Advanced-Factory Reset to reset the DX120. This is to avoid conflicts with residual settings from the previous firmware.
7. Delete the update.img from the micro SD card.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back