iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Oct 27, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #707 of 2,153
That was what I already tried.but the next folder still did not play after the first folder ended. I even rebooted the device.
Is there a play through folders in the settings?

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #709 of 2,153
Oct 27, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #710 of 2,153
Btw did you resolve your issue of not being able to use folder play?

Not yet but I have not tried again. I had already done what Paul said to do. At the moment I am letting it rest until I get that loose screw out of it. Waiting for an amazon delivery of a small tool I need for that. It is out for delivery today.I want to do it exactly as shown in the video that Paul provided.

Folder play is not essential but I do want the option to work and I will use it. My Opus and my Hidizs do not have it but my Cayin N3 does. So does my little Ruizu A50 but that one only does folder play... no way to choose to stop after one album.

I do actually like the little Ruizu for sleeping though because it is small, inexpensive, does folder play through and has 20 hours of battery life. I will also choose it if I have a lot of garden work to do because it is so small and light and sturdy. I would not recommend it as an only dap though for someone who has more than simple needs.

I could easily recommend the DX120 as an only DAP (unless the user needs wifi, android, bluetooth). With its form factor, two card slots, the UI, it is a perfect dap (to me). I am not going to try to compare the sound with my other daps. I do not do that. I try sometimes with headphones, iems or buds but not with daps, dacs amps etc. At that point my brain just gets tangled up. All I want to do is enjoy my music! Which I was doing using the DX120 with my Zen LL balanced the other night.

If someone does not need balanced output, physical line out, or two card slots I would still easily recommend the Cayin N3.

I bought the DX120 because I love the look of it, the fact that it has two slots and that it is a pure music only player... plus having a separate physical line out which the Cayin and Opus do not (just software settings). I had never gotten around to trying balanced with the Opus but I am with the DX120. Only have a balanced cable on one of my iems and two of my buds though.

The DX120 seems to combine my favorite features from my different daps into one really nice package.

Oct 27, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #711 of 2,153
Here are a couple of my thoughts. I bought this player to replace my Fiio X3mkii, which I thought sounded great but had the worst screen of any player ever. So that being said, this is my personal player that I shelled out350 euros for. I am mostly using Etymotic ER4S IEMs, a 17 year old pair at that. I'm also using Beyerdynamic DT-990s, and sometimes a JDS Labs O2 amp. I've had a few days to play with my DX120, and I have to say that so far my experience has been very good!

The sound is fantastic, a definite upgrade to anything else I've ever owned. I can only describe it as sublime- I listened to Jon Hopkins' Singularity this morning through my Etymotics, and it was magical, like floating through a sphere of sound.

The UI is easy to use and makes sense, and in general is pretty snappy. The UI also looks super classy!

The only fault I had with build quality was a loose screw inside the player, but I was able to fix that in a few minutes using the video provided by Paul. Disassembly was very easy (and the insides were super clean and well built!) It has a beautiful design and a nice heft.

You must have good recordings for this player, as it reveals everything. As could be expected, I am suddenly hearing details that were previously undetected or muddled.

Battery life is awesome so far, charges up quickly using my phone charger, and having USB-C is freaking awesome!

Buttons respond well, volume/output power is more than adequate to drive my ER4s, and my DT-990s.

DAC works very well on the computer, but with Windows 10 I of course had to change my settings to allow an unsigned driver to run (why can't they sign their software?) Comes with a glass screen protector, and the cables provided are thick and nice. The screen is BEAUTIFUL!

I have the brown one. It's not ugly brown like the microsoft zune. It's more of a golden bronze that looks really, really, really good! It's an extremely classy looking piece of gear. However, I really wish the back panel was the same matte aluminum and not the shiny black panel they used.

One thing I thought was super fantastic- the ability to update the library on each card separately. So, when I load an album onto a card, I only have to update that card's library, instead of having to rescan ALL of the files on the player. Of course you can scan both cards at once too!

Customer service was great! Paul responded to me within minutes of my emailing him. Nice that they trust their customers to be competent to fix minor issues!

All in all, am I happy with this player? Yes, very much.
Would I trade it for anything else? At this price point, not a chance.
What about streaming and wi-fi? I can use my tablet, phone, and computer for that. My internet sucks, so no big loss here.
Is the sound really that good? Yes.
Why should anyone trust what I say? They shouldn't. They should try this player out and then they will be believers.
How's the soundstage? I'm using Etymotics, soundstage doesn't exist.
Would I recommend this player? WIthout a doubt!

EDIT- I wrote a small list of problems that I experienced with the player in this post. Two days later, a new firmware came out that addressed the problems I experienced! OUTSTANDING!!! So, I've got no negatives to report! It's a great player!!!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #712 of 2,153
This stop the itch.hehe.

Have you tried dx200? Is it an upgrade to n5ii sq wise?
Yes but only with the stock AMP 1. Even then its an upgrade over the N5ii.

I like the sound but dislike the device. Its a lot bigger, heavier and bulkier. And it only has one microsd card slot.

IMG_20180411_191249.jpg

IMG_20180411_191229.jpg

The DX120 is just nice though.
20181005_182234.jpg

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #713 of 2,153
However, I really wish the back panel was the same matte aluminum and not the shiny black plastic they used.

The back is not plastic. It is glass with a pre-applied screen protector on it.

Oct 27, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #714 of 2,153
I have truly been impressed with the sound quality of the DX120, particularly the balanced output. Ample power to drive everything I have, which is a true bonus. It excels at what it is designed to do, play music.
IMG_20181027_120537.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #716 of 2,153
Here are a couple of my thoughts. I bought this player to replace my Fiio X3mkii, which I thought sounded great but had the worst screen of any player ever. So that being said, this is my personal player that I shelled out350 euros for. I am mostly using Etymotic ER4S IEMs, a 17 year old pair at that. I'm also using Beyerdynamic DT-990s, and sometimes a JDS Labs O2 amp. I've had a few days to play with my DX120, and I have to say that so far my experience has been very good!

The sound is fantastic, a definite upgrade to anything else I've ever owned. I can only describe it as sublime- I listened to Jon Hopkins' Singularity this morning through my Etymotics, and it was magical, like floating through a sphere of sound.

The UI is easy to use and makes sense, and in general is pretty snappy. The UI also looks super classy!

The only fault I had with build quality was a loose screw inside the player, but I was able to fix that in a few minutes using the video provided by Paul. Disassembly was very easy (and the insides were super clean and well built!) It has a beautiful design and a nice heft.

You must have good recordings for this player, as it reveals everything. As could be expected, I am suddenly hearing details that were previously undetected or muddled.

Battery life is awesome so far, charges up quickly using my phone charger, and having USB-C is freaking awesome!

Buttons respond well, volume/output power is more than adequate to drive my ER4s, and my DT-990s.

DAC works very well on the computer, but with Windows 10 I of course had to change my settings to allow an unsigned driver to run (why can't they sign their software?) Comes with a glass screen protector, and the cables provided are thick and nice. The screen is BEAUTIFUL!

I have the brown one. It's not ugly brown like the microsoft zune. It's more of a golden bronze that looks really, really, really good! It's an extremely classy looking piece of gear. However, I really wish the back panel was the same matte aluminum and not the shiny black panel they used.

One thing I thought was super fantastic- the ability to update the library on each card separately. So, when I load an album onto a card, I only have to update that card's library, instead of having to rescan ALL of the files on the player. Of course you can scan both cards at once too!

Customer service was great! Paul responded to me within minutes of my emailing him. Nice that they trust their customers to be competent to fix minor issues!

Now for the negatives. I think most of these could be fixed in firmware, besides the physical stuff which are just minor gripes.

1. The screen is not particularly bright, and the dark themes don't help. Indoors, this isn't a problem at all, but outdoors it can be difficult to see. Also, the fonts are very small on the play screen. I wish there was a way to change themes, or change to a larger font. (or is that covered by the alternative firmware I keep reading about?)

2. The player emits a loud popping sound when switching between DSD files and flac/mp3/etc and vice-versa. Also, the player slowed down and was somewhat unstable when dealing with the DSD files, and crashed a couple times. I removed these files and the player works normally. I can live with avoiding DSD, just thought it would be fun to try it out.

3. When using line out, the player emits popping/static when a song is paused/stopped, skipping to the next track, rewinding, etc... This I don't like much, as I prefer to use my DT-990s with an amp.

4. Gapless tends to work well, except when it doesn't.:beyersmile: I had issues with some albums like Pink Floyd The Wall, where the last few seconds of a song would not be played, then there was a gap between songs, and the next song would play. This didn't happen all the time, but often enough for me to take notice.

All in all, am I happy with this player? Yes, very much.
Would I trade it for anything else? At this price point, not a chance.
What about streaming and wi-fi? I can use my tablet, phone, and computer for that. My internet sucks, so no big loss here.
Is the sound really that good? Yes.
Why should anyone trust what I say? They shouldn't. They should try this player out and then they will be believers.
How's the soundstage? I'm using Etymotics, soundstage doesn't exist.
Would I recommend this player? WIthout a doubt!

may i know what etymotic model u r using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back