1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Paul - iBasso, Aug 31, 2018.
Tags:
First

Back
38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58
Next

Last
  1. moracajay
    This stop the itch.hehe.

Have you tried dx200? Is it an upgrade to n5ii sq wise?

2. superuser1
    Is there a play through folders in the settings?

3. mbwilson111
    Yes there is with the newest firmware.

superuser1 likes this.
  4. superuser1
    Btw did you resolve your issue of not being able to use folder play?

5. mbwilson111
    Not yet but I have not tried again. I had already done what Paul said to do. At the moment I am letting it rest until I get that loose screw out of it. Waiting for an amazon delivery of a small tool I need for that. It is out for delivery today.I want to do it exactly as shown in the video that Paul provided.

Folder play is not essential but I do want the option to work and I will use it. My Opus and my Hidizs do not have it but my Cayin N3 does. So does my little Ruizu A50 but that one only does folder play... no way to choose to stop after one album.

I do actually like the little Ruizu for sleeping though because it is small, inexpensive, does folder play through and has 20 hours of battery life. I will also choose it if I have a lot of garden work to do because it is so small and light and sturdy. I would not recommend it as an only dap though for someone who has more than simple needs.

I could easily recommend the DX120 as an only DAP (unless the user needs wifi, android, bluetooth). With its form factor, two card slots, the UI, it is a perfect dap (to me). I am not going to try to compare the sound with my other daps. I do not do that. I try sometimes with headphones, iems or buds but not with daps, dacs amps etc. At that point my brain just gets tangled up. All I want to do is enjoy my music! Which I was doing using the DX120 with my Zen LL balanced the other night.

If someone does not need balanced output, physical line out, or two card slots I would still easily recommend the Cayin N3.

I bought the DX120 because I love the look of it, the fact that it has two slots and that it is a pure music only player... plus having a separate physical line out which the Cayin and Opus do not (just software settings). I had never gotten around to trying balanced with the Opus but I am with the DX120. Only have a balanced cable on one of my iems and two of my buds though.

The DX120 seems to combine my favorite features from my different daps into one really nice package.

superuser1 and ValSilva like this.
  6. XBTed
    Here are a couple of my thoughts. I bought this player to replace my Fiio X3mkii, which I thought sounded great but had the worst screen of any player ever. So that being said, this is my personal player that I shelled out350 euros for. I am mostly using Etymotic ER4S IEMs, a 17 year old pair at that. I'm also using Beyerdynamic DT-990s, and sometimes a JDS Labs O2 amp. I've had a few days to play with my DX120, and I have to say that so far my experience has been very good!

The sound is fantastic, a definite upgrade to anything else I've ever owned. I can only describe it as sublime- I listened to Jon Hopkins' Singularity this morning through my Etymotics, and it was magical, like floating through a sphere of sound.

The UI is easy to use and makes sense, and in general is pretty snappy. The UI also looks super classy!

The only fault I had with build quality was a loose screw inside the player, but I was able to fix that in a few minutes using the video provided by Paul. Disassembly was very easy (and the insides were super clean and well built!) It has a beautiful design and a nice heft.

You must have good recordings for this player, as it reveals everything. As could be expected, I am suddenly hearing details that were previously undetected or muddled.

Battery life is awesome so far, charges up quickly using my phone charger, and having USB-C is freaking awesome!

Buttons respond well, volume/output power is more than adequate to drive my ER4s, and my DT-990s.

DAC works very well on the computer, but with Windows 10 I of course had to change my settings to allow an unsigned driver to run (why can't they sign their software?) Comes with a glass screen protector, and the cables provided are thick and nice. The screen is BEAUTIFUL!

I have the brown one. It's not ugly brown like the microsoft zune. It's more of a golden bronze that looks really, really, really good! It's an extremely classy looking piece of gear. However, I really wish the back panel was the same matte aluminum and not the shiny black panel they used.

One thing I thought was super fantastic- the ability to update the library on each card separately. So, when I load an album onto a card, I only have to update that card's library, instead of having to rescan ALL of the files on the player. Of course you can scan both cards at once too!

Customer service was great! Paul responded to me within minutes of my emailing him. Nice that they trust their customers to be competent to fix minor issues!

All in all, am I happy with this player? Yes, very much.
    Would I trade it for anything else? At this price point, not a chance.
    What about streaming and wi-fi? I can use my tablet, phone, and computer for that. My internet sucks, so no big loss here.
    Is the sound really that good? Yes.
    Why should anyone trust what I say? They shouldn't. They should try this player out and then they will be believers.
    How's the soundstage? I'm using Etymotics, soundstage doesn't exist.
    Would I recommend this player? WIthout a doubt!

EDIT- I wrote a small list of problems that I experienced with the player in this post. Two days later, a new firmware came out that addressed the problems I experienced! OUTSTANDING!!! So, I've got no negatives to report! It's a great player!!!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  7. seanwee
    Yes but only with the stock AMP 1. Even then its an upgrade over the N5ii.

I like the sound but dislike the device. Its a lot bigger, heavier and bulkier. And it only has one microsd card slot.

IMG_20180411_191249.jpg

IMG_20180411_191229.jpg

The DX120 is just nice though.
    20181005_182234.jpg

8. mbwilson111
    The back is not plastic. It is glass with a pre-applied screen protector on it.

9. subguy812
    I have truly been impressed with the sound quality of the DX120, particularly the balanced output. Ample power to drive everything I have, which is a true bonus. It excels at what it is designed to do, play music.
    IMG_20181027_120537.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    JuanLuis91 and XBTed like this.
  10. XBTed
    Hmm, thought it was plastic. No big deal, but it's still shiny and fingerprinty! Still love it anyways!

11. Focux
    may i know what etymotic model u r using?

12. mbwilson111
    I believe it is in his profile list of gear.

13. Semper HiFi
    Which Custom Art IEM's are those?

14. subguy812
    It is a prototype from Custom Art.

15. XBTed
    Hi, I'm using the ER4S

First

Back
38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58
Next

Last