iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Oct 25, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #691 of 2,153
I think I have a screw rattling as well... could it hurt something? Does it mean that whatever has the screw loose is not working properly? What was the screw meant to be screwed into?
A loose screw could short out a couple of components, so best to secure it in place. It was one of the screws holding the PCB onto the aluminum front panel. Very easy fix- email Paul for the video!

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #692 of 2,153
A loose screw could short out a couple of components, so best to secure it in place. It was one of the screws holding the PCB onto the aluminum front panel. Very easy fix- email Paul for the video!

Now I am scared. I don't want to short anything out but am not confident to open it.

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #695 of 2,153
Oh wow, the sound!!! Holy...

Surely some of the credit goes to whatever you have plugged into it:)

BTW mine came with super slow roll off filter enabled and natural sound mode. I have left it like that and am happy. I was already familiar with super slow roll off as that has been my preferred setting with my Cayin N3 for over a year. The sound mode settings for the DX120 I am not sure about. I have found no explaination for what each actually does.

It's really easy, just go slow. Like, really easy, opening a deck of cards easy (almost)

I have had mine a couple of weeks.. hope I have not hurt anything by leaving it like that so long. Meanwhile, as I have no idea where my husband has the small screwdriver set I might as well wait until he gets home from work. He can do it:) I will have to get the video first so I suppose I will have to open my email program. Seem to rarely use email these days. I wonder why there is not just a link posted for it.

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #696 of 2,153
Surely some of the credit goes to whatever you have plugged into it:)

BTW mine came with super slow roll off filter enabled and natural sound mode. I have left it like that and am happy. I was already familiar with super slow roll off as that has been my preferred setting with my Cayin N3 for over a year. The sound mode settings for the DX120 I am not sure about. I have found no explaination for what each actually does.

I have had mine a couple of weeks.. hope I have not hurt anything by leaving it like that so long. Meanwhile, as I have no idea where my husband has the small screwdriver set I might as well wait until he gets home from work. He can do it:) I will have to get the video first so I suppose I will have to open my email program. Seem to rarely use email these days. I wonder why there is not just a link posted for it.

Just playing it though my 17 year old pair of Etymotic ER-4s

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #697 of 2,153
Just playing it though my 17 year old pair of Etymotic ER-4s

Wow you have gotten your money's worth out of those! I have never heard them but I know people love them.

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #699 of 2,153
Wow you have gotten your money's worth out of those! I have never heard them but I know people love them.
I certainly have, quite a good investment, even including the cost of a pack of overpriced filters every two years. They are an acquired taste, but once you get used to the sound, you can't go back. For listening to music at low volume, there's nothing else that I've found that's better. I've never found them uncomfortable, and care is easy- just gotta clean the flanges every once in a while with hydrogen peroxide, and all is good!!! I think there were a lot of the designs from a few years back were pretty good, I've still got a Rio Karma that I use regularly (although loading and unloading music onto it is quite an ordeal). Heck, I still use my Cowon J3 all the time for working out, and the battery still lasts several days on a single charge! However, my poor Fiio X3ii is in pieces on my desk, the victim of a display failure :frowning2:

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #700 of 2,153
thanks for reply. i found something about digital filters on ak4490 myself. more technical stuff and nothing about digital filter impact on sound but better than nothing. so for those interested: https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/12/07/akm-verita-4490-dac/
still no idea what those sound modes do...
It looks like they influence perception of the music space, guess it's some subtle acoustic voodoo into tricking our brains into thinking there's distance between us and the sound. I'm using etymotics, so my soundstage is approximately the width of my face and the lead singer is behind my nose!

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #701 of 2,153
Has anyone been able to get the folder play option to work? I thought that if I tick that box that my albums should continue to play one after the other like it does on my Cayin N3. I have the latest firmware.

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #702 of 2,153
Does anyone know the answer to this question?
Please go to Play Mode, check the box for Folder Play and use Loop or one of the modes indicated. Then rescan the card or cards. From there Folder Play will play.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 25, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #703 of 2,153
Please go to Play Mode, check the box for Folder Play and use Loop or one of the modes indicated. Then rescan the card or cards. From there Folder Play will play.

That was what I already tried.but the next folder still did not play after the first folder ended. I even rebooted the device.

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #705 of 2,153
I have N5ii. Which has brighter signature?
Can you say that dx120 has better sq to n5ii?
Or shall i upgrade to dx200 to notice a difference?

I did a comparison a while ago.

Finally got to demo the DX120

A comparison with my personal favourite at the $300 price point

DX120 vs N5ii

DX120-High gain, Reference sound mode, slow roll off

N5ii-High gain, slow roll off

Bass on the N5ii is more detailed and better controlled.

Mids of the DX120 are more nuanced, revealing and detailed.

Treble of the DX120 is slightly more refined and more natural.

The N5ii is more lively and dynamic sounding. Louder parts get louder, softer parts get softer.

N5ii has better instrument separation, layering and soundstage depth. DX120 is flatter sounding and a little more congested.

Both Daps have similar soundstage width

Both Daps have pitch black backgrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back