iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Dec 9, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #556 of 612
Dec 9, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #557 of 612
man, i wish they'd use the connector that RSA uses. a whole bunch of folks bought cables to run with the Protector (and very soon the SR71b). Ray's set up is compact and secure and seems to work well, as well as being cost effective. who wants to reterminate their cables or buy new sets?! come on ibasso, don't complicate this!  since there's a viable solution on the market that a bunch of us are using tap into that rather than complicating the matter!  (btw HiFlight, how do you reach the ibasso folks).

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #558 of 612
Having used both I much prefer to use the hirose plug than the kobiconn plug, easier to solder and not forced into a right angle.  I find it easier to stick a portable into my pocket and adjust the volume with it oriented vertically than horizontally... especially when I need to have another thing in that pocket playing music usually rubber banded to the amp :O

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #560 of 612

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i repurchased a toucan yesterday.  not exactly sure why, i mean it does sound good but the only balanced headphones i have are my t1.  wonder if i could get a jh16 cable balanced into a hirose connector... has anyone else done that with the jh16?

One of my TWag OM cables I have is balanced/Hirose terminated for use with the PB1.  JH16s sound great with it, but I usually prefer the JH13s with the iBasso PB1/DB1 combo.

Why is that? Is it the bass? I preferred the 16s because of the bass when I demoed the 5s and 16s. 

No, it's not the bass.  It's that the JH13s have a little bit higher impedance than the 16s, so it's easier to pair with such as powerful amp as the PB1 even at its lowest gain setting.

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #562 of 612

Quote:
Quote:
considering that moon audio cable.  how do you think the cable terminated to a mini 4 pin would be? then id get adapters with mini 4 pin to hirose

I'm sure it would work, but I can't say how it compares to the TWag, because I haven't auditioned them yet.

i guess my real question is how are the mini 4 pins? they should sound the same as 3 pin or normal 4 pin right? dont have much experience iwth mini 4 pins.

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #563 of 612

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
considering that moon audio cable.  how do you think the cable terminated to a mini 4 pin would be? then id get adapters with mini 4 pin to hirose

I'm sure it would work, but I can't say how it compares to the TWag, because I haven't auditioned them yet.

i guess my real question is how are the mini 4 pins? they should sound the same as 3 pin or normal 4 pin right? dont have much experience iwth mini 4 pins.

Are you talking about min XLRs or the Protector 4 pin balanced connectors?   Sorry, I'm slower than usual today on the pickup.

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #564 of 612
The mini xlr's sound fine to me, if you go with the rean ones they are brass with gold plating which is about the same as any other connector.  The switchcraft mini xlr has arguably a slightly worse locking mechanism (I don't really think it matters), but if it is important to you they can come with silver pins.  To get better connector material you would have to be spending quite a lot for fancy full sized xlrs so I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Almost no matter what you are going through some silver or brass & gold or nickel contacts coming out of your amp, and I doubt if the length of silver or brass introduced in a mini xlr connction is going to make a big difference in audible quality when your cable already has something similar on at least 1 end, both if they are detachable cables.  The only time I would say you really need to avoid them is if you are dying to use 20awg or thicker wire.

Consider this, the lcd2 requires 1 4 pin mini xlr for each ear connection, they can't possibly  screw up the sound that bad if they do at all ;p.

In my experience this is the case anyhow, YMMV.

Also, there isn't even a boutique full sized 4pin xlr in existence that I know of, so for better connector material you're generally talking dual full sized 3 pin xlrs for a balanced connection.  The pins themselves are roughly 22awg I think.

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #566 of 612
i don't know if it 's right thread ,which combo sounds better the iriver h140>ibasso toucan>boomslang>ue t10 or hifiman h 602 >ue t 10. i am wondering
i may take the hifiman h 602 ,just to know 

Dec 11, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #567 of 612

Quote:
i don't know if it 's right thread ,which combo sounds better the iriver h140>ibasso toucan>boomslang>ue t10 or hifiman h 602 >ue t 10. i am wondering
i may take the hifiman h 602 ,just to know 

Will you use ue 10 with balanced cable? I have no idea, but I suppose it is important for the answer.

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #569 of 612
I am pretty sure the Boomslang DAC outperforms the HM-602's DAC. It is much bigger, and it is balanced. With the H140, you can put Rockbox on it and tweak the EQ to sound however you like, so it is very versatile. Keep in mind that is three boxes, however.

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #570 of 612

Quote:
I am pretty sure the Boomslang DAC outperforms the HM-602's DAC. It is much bigger, and it is balanced. With the H140, you can put Rockbox on it and tweak the EQ to sound however you like, so it is very versatile. Keep in mind that is three boxes, however.

yea the size of portable setups these days are getting a little out of hand.  i look at the pb1/db1 combo more as  a portable desktop/laptop combo rather than a DAP combo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back