iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Nov 21, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #526 of 612
Well you know how it goes. . . . Tough to look out at the bay and watch the boats go by or go eat mangos or fresh bananas or coconut or . . . 

You know, that boredom can be a real motivating force. . . :^)

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #527 of 612
HA. HA. HA. 
biggrin.gif
 It is cold here, although the change of seasons is nice and it really makes me appreciate the warm months. On a topic more related to the thread's title, I won some Cardas balanced Beyer DT880 250 05s at a local meet (the White Plains one.) I have gathered by now that the Toucan would drive them wonderfully, but I am eyeing a desktop solution- the Einar audio VC01i desktop balanced amp. This would definitely be a better amp, right? it lists an output of 700mW at 60 Ohms and 380 at 300 Ohms in balanced. I may be able to get a deal on it in which case the price would be close top the Toucan's. It is a desktop component, so I would naturally expect it to sound better. Your input would be appreciated.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #528 of 612

I personally like the small footprint of the Ibasso amps, I listen mostly at my desk but that can be in my home office, my office office or bring these little things to my buddy's house...I like the desktop sound and the ability to easily transport...I use mine with the HD650s and have zero issues, it is more than adequate for those difficult to drive phones...

Quote:
HA. HA. HA. 
biggrin.gif
 It is cold here, although the change of seasons is nice and it really makes me appreciate the warm months. On a topic more related to the thread's title, I won some Cardas balanced Beyer DT880 250 05s at a local meet (the White Plains one.) I have gathered by now that the Toucan would drive them wonderfully, but I am eyeing a desktop solution- the Einar audio VC01i desktop balanced amp. This would definitely be a better amp, right? it lists an output of 700mW at 60 Ohms and 380 at 300 Ohms in balanced. I may be able to get a deal on it in which case the price would be close top the Toucan's. It is a desktop component, so I would naturally expect it to sound better. Your input would be appreciated.

Nov 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #530 of 612
has anyone tried this amp with the hifiman he6s (or 5s or 5les)?  given all the attention that the hifiman can is getting these days i'm wondering if this might be a cost effective solution to power it.

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #533 of 612
It just sounds too good to be true. I've been thinking a lot about the HE-6 lately and I will definitely buy it. Will use my HDP initially but I have understood from lot of reading that a new amp/dac-combo is needed for the HE-6. I really can't believe that the Toucan/Boomslang could be a contender!

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #534 of 612

Quote:
It just sounds too good to be true. I've been thinking a lot about the HE-6 lately and I will definitely buy it. Will use my HDP initially but I have understood from lot of reading that a new amp/dac-combo is needed for the HE-6. I really can't believe that the Toucan/Boomslang could be a contender!

I am sure the Toucan/Boomslang would do well with the HE-6 if it can drive the K1000s. However, I heard Ray Samuel's new SR71B balanced amp driving the HE-6s and I have to say I was quite impressed. He had the whole thing fully balanced, running it from his Meridian CD player. The soundstage was huge and immersive. Keep in mind that amp is going to be around six hndred dollars, almost three times the Toucan while only improving a little bit. It is much smaller, however. There currently is no other balanced portable DAC on the market other than the Boomslang, but rumor has it that Ray is working on one. 

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #535 of 612
iBasso is also working on a 2nd generation Toucan with more power.   They have stated to me that they intend to be THE industry leader in balanced portables.  

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #536 of 612
Hiflight, that sounds great! Ibasso's products all have great value. Any details on release date, specs, price or anything like that? I was going to buy a desktop balanced amp, but this might change things for me. 

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #538 of 612
No timeline or details yet, but it should be fairly soon.  They are also designing a desktop unit but that is months away yet.  They are usually pretty quite about new products until they are ready for shipment to avoid PR issues if last-minute changes are required. 

Quote:
Hiflight, that sounds great! Ibasso's products all have great value. Any details on release date, specs, price or anything like that? I was going to buy a desktop balanced amp, but this might change things for me.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #539 of 612
Aha, so the upcoming new version of Toucan is not their desktop amp? That's what I first thought when you mentioned it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back