iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Dec 11, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #571 of 612

Quote:
Quote:
I am pretty sure the Boomslang DAC outperforms the HM-602's DAC. It is much bigger, and it is balanced. With the H140, you can put Rockbox on it and tweak the EQ to sound however you like, so it is very versatile. Keep in mind that is three boxes, however.

yea the size of portable setups these days are getting a little out of hand.  i look at the pb1/db1 combo more as  a portable desktop/laptop combo rather than a DAP combo. 

The bigger the setup, the better it sounds. Get a Cowon, a Hifiman, or something that can be rockboxed if you want good portable sound.

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #574 of 612
I've just had my HF-2's reterminated to balanced for use with the Toucan/Boomslang.  What a difference...the HF-2's sound great balanced, more of an improvement than I've seen so far with the RS-1's.  Soundstage and imaging seem much improved, perhaps with a clarity improvement.  I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time with this combination.

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #575 of 612

Quote:
ok i understand, the combo iriver h140<toucan>boomslang>ue  tfi 10 balanced is superior to hifiman player , in terms of quality sound.but not in terms of portability.ok

sorry for the OT, but where can we get iriver h140 nowadays? i don't mind with second hand unit..

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #576 of 612

Quote:
Quote:
ok i understand, the combo iriver h140<toucan>boomslang>ue  tfi 10 balanced is superior to hifiman player , in terms of quality sound.but not in terms of portability.ok

sorry for the OT, but where can we get iriver h140 nowadays? i don't mind with second hand unit..

Used is the only way you are going to find it as they haven't been made for a few years. They used to come up on eBay with even some new old stock sold there a couple of years ago but now just do a search for a H120 the 20gb unit for the H140 the 40gb unit. I upgraded my 120 to 80gb and the 140 to 120gb but it requires an adapter that costs about 30 dollars to use the newer hard drives. I then RockBox my iRivers as it is much better software than the stock iRiver software. I have 7 iRivers. I want to make sure that I don't end up with nothing as iRiver does not repair them any longer and if certain parts fail, they aren't reparable though iBasso was able to figure out how to repair one that was considered dead and good for only parts. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #577 of 612
Any body tried the PB1 with the LCD-2?  If so, how's the result?

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #578 of 612

Quote:
Any body tried the PB1 with the LCD-2?  If so, how's the result?

Since receiving the LCD-2 on the 7th of this month and promptly balancing them I has used them most of the time with the PB1. It powers them with ease, sounds very good and throws a very enjoyable sound stage, if it is in the recording. Works great. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #579 of 612
I too have used the PB1 with the LCD-2 and I found it works fairly well.  Volume is certainly not the problem.  Sound quality is quite good all things considered, unfortunately I don't really take my LCD-2 with me anywhere so I mean it mostly gets used with my desktop rig.  Seems silly to me to use my little adapter to use my dac with the no longer portable PB1 instead of just using a B22 or something :O.  When I have used them together it was quite nice though.

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #580 of 612
I got the Toucan today. Using it with my Ipod Classic, lod and HD600/650 with iBassos balanced Senn cable. My god it sounds nice. Been listening and comparing between the Ipod/Toucan balanced HD600/650 and my Nuforce HDP with usb from my pc (stock HD600/650 cable). Soundstage is defenitely bigger with the Ipod/Toucan balanced, and also the bass from Toucan is really good! I'm really itching to buy and try the Boomslang now. I may even sell the HDP.

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #581 of 612

Quote:
I got the Toucan today. Using it with my Ipod Classic, lod and HD600/650 with iBassos balanced Senn cable. My god it sounds nice. Been listening and comparing between the Ipod/Toucan balanced HD600/650 and my Nuforce HDP with usb from my pc (stock HD600/650 cable). Soundstage is defenitely bigger with the Ipod/Toucan balanced, and also the bass from Toucan is really good! I'm really itching to buy and try the Boomslang now. I may even sell the HDP.

The Boomslang adds a little more openness, transparency and the soundstage also is a little larger. IMO. I enjoy the Toucan with or without the balanced source, it's all good. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #582 of 612

Quote:
Quote:

The Boomslang adds a little more openness, transparency and the soundstage also is a little larger. IMO. I enjoy the Toucan with or without the balanced source, it's all good. 

pb1 v sr71b. ready.... go!

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #583 of 612
Debitsohn I'm really enjoying the pb1 I bought from you. I used it today with my he-6 outside while smoking a cigar. While it doesn't drive them to their full potential, it's more than adequate. The fact that I can listen to my he-6s outside is a feat within itself. Never thought I could take them out of the house. But where it really shines is with my hd600s. It drives them to the max. I never thought I could ever say that about a portable. I've owned desktops in the past that struggled with these. I haven't tried it on my iems yet, but looking forward to see if driving my er4ps balanced would help with the bass impact without the need for an eq.

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #584 of 612

Quote:
Debitsohn I'm really enjoying the pb1 I bought from you. I used it today with my he-6 outside while smoking a cigar. While it doesn't drive them to their full potential, it's more than adequate. The fact that I can listen to my he-6s outside is a feat within itself. Never thought I could take them out of the house. But where it really shines is with my hd600s. It drives them to the max. I never thought I could ever say that about a portable. I've owned desktops in the past that struggled with these. I haven't tried it on my iems yet, but looking forward to see if driving my er4ps balanced would help with the bass impact without the need for an eq.

for the money, i would say that that thing is the best buy in portable amps balanced.  im kind of dumb, i probably spent 3/4 times that amount to get the sr71b plus all cables and will probably see a 10% increase in SQ if that.  if you have the need for a desktop/laptop DAC, i would strongly say that the boomslang is worth the money. get the balanced IC when u buy it. (notice i said WHEN you buy it, not if because i know youll be buying one soon lol) enjoy that little beast. it is quite a feat.

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #585 of 612

Quote:
Quote:

for the money, i would say that that thing is the best buy in portable amps balanced.  im kind of dumb, i probably spent 3/4 times that amount to get the sr71b plus all cables and will probably see a 10% increase in SQ if that.  if you have the need for a desktop/laptop DAC, i would strongly say that the boomslang is worth the money. get the balanced IC when u buy it. (notice i said WHEN you buy it, not if because i know youll be buying one soon lol) enjoy that little beast. it is quite a feat.

Just wait till the PB2 comes out. It should be better than the SR71B and have rollable opamps as well. Ibasso wants to be the industry leader in portable balanced amps. I am waiting for it to come out and I may well buy it if the reviews are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back