IBasso Audio IT03
Dec 13, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #1,381 of 3,344
well here is the final tip rolling test which took me 3 hours of testing so many different tips and diy tips

end game tips which is a real big surpirse is 

Westone star tip filled with foam that i took from kombi tips, yes the westone although is supposed to fit small bore iems but it stretches out and fits so great on ibasso it03

this will give huge tight bass, great mids and highs

if you do not try this custom diy tip really you are missing out

forget any tip from spinfits, comply, sony foam hybrids the above diy tip is the best you can ever get 

hey, may you post some photos?
I'm interested in making those tips but I can't really imagine how exactly you put it together.

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #1,382 of 3,344
hey, may you post some photos?
I'm interested in making those tips but I can't really imagine how exactly you put it together.
make a VIDEO.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,383 of 3,344
i will do a video tomorrow on how to make those combo tips ( westone star tips filled with foam from kombi tips ) as I am getting so many messages just asking how to do that

although its pretty straight forward

with the tip mod, i can honestly say I like the sound of ibasso it03 more than my previous beloved tralucent ref1, and that speaks volumes

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,384 of 3,344
  i will do a video tomorrow on how to make those combo tips ( westone star tips filled with foam from kombi tips ) as I am getting so many messages just asking how to do that

although its pretty straight forward

The westone tips look like they have a tiny bore diameter, do they even really fit? I also think they are probably not right for me anyways because they look like they are going for a long narrow shape, which would make them aiming for a really deep insertion, which I have found is the worst possible way to wear these... for me at least as it creates the most pressure points, which causes discomfort and pain.

Speaking of, I think I may have finally found a way to wear the it03 mostly comfortable for extended periods of time. Large spin fit tips give me a very very shallow fit without putting much pressure on my ears. But they are definitely not as snug as a deeper fit, and I do lost a small amount of bass punch from wearing them shallow. Plus I think over time they have a tendency to slip out just a bit making the seal less than perfect, requiring somewhat frequent adjustment. But its better than not being able to wear them at all. Still not super comfortable, but comfortable enough for now, comfortable enough not to sell them, but I will still be waiting on some others to hope for the sound I like with more comfort.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,385 of 3,344

The westone tips look like they have a tiny bore diameter, do they even really fit? I also think they are probably not right for me anyways because they look like they are going for a long narrow shape, which would make them aiming for a really deep insertion, which I have found is the worst possible way to wear these... for me at least as it creates the most pressure points, which causes discomfort and pain.

Speaking of, I think I may have finally found a way to wear the it03 mostly comfortable for extended periods of time. Large spin fit tips give me a very very shallow fit without putting much pressure on my ears. But they are definitely not as snug as a deeper fit, and I do lost a small amount of bass punch from wearing them shallow. Plus I think over time they have a tendency to slip out just a bit making the seal less than perfect, requiring somewhat frequent adjustment. But its better than not being able to wear them at all. Still not super comfortable, but comfortable enough for now, comfortable enough not to sell them, but I will still be waiting on some others to hope for the sound I like with more comfort.

well the westone start tip strech on ibass it03 and fit great

i never experienced any fit issue with ibasso and i listened to it for hours with deep insertion of the ibasso using westone tips

the sound i am getting is as i mentioned even better than the tralucent ref1 which is a 1800 usd iem

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #1,386 of 3,344

i never experienced any fit issue with ibasso and i listened to it for hours with deep insertion of the ibasso using westone tips

the sound i am getting is as i mentioned even better than the tralucent ref1 which is a 1800 usd iem

Sorry, I didnt mean to try and imply that your tip combo is bad (if I did, sorry), only to clarify that with the shape of them, it looks like they will only work for deep insertion, which I personally cannot do with the IT03 due to their shape and apparently the shape of my ear.

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #1,387 of 3,344

Sorry, I didnt mean to try and imply that your tip combo is bad (if I did, sorry), only to clarify that with the shape of them, it looks like they will only work for deep insertion, which I personally cannot do with the IT03 due to their shape and apparently the shape of my ear.

westone star tip have short and long tips so I first tried the long red ones and they go really deep, then i switched to the short medium and they really amazed me in my results and in comfort, but again maybe that mod is not suitable for you if you have issues with the stock tips and comfort fit. I for one even did not have any comfort fit issue with using the long westone tips, maybe i am lucky in that. 

so this is for people to experiment with, and costs few bucks to do, so for some it will be an awesome change in sound quality and for others maybe not.

tip rolling and tip modding is always fun and i really encourage people to try tip modding with their iems and not only rely on stock tips, as the change in sound quality can be huge

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #1,388 of 3,344

That is interesting. I remember one of the top CIEM in the the industry once said confidentially, that all is really needed for a top IEM is 3 good drivers and they put out units with 4 times that. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #1,389 of 3,344
  westone star tip have short and long tips so I first tried the long red ones and they go really deep, then i switched to the short medium and they really amazed me in my results and in comfort, but again maybe that mod is not suitable for you if you have issues with the stock tips and comfort fit. I for one even did not have any comfort fit issue with using the long westone tips, maybe i am lucky in that. 

so this is for people to experiment with, and costs few bucks to do, so for some it will be an awesome change in sound quality and for others maybe not.

tip rolling and tip modding is always fun and i really encourage people to try tip modding with their iems and not only rely on stock tips, as the change in sound quality can be huge

I honestly have not hear too much of an actual sound difference in tips, just usually small shifts in quantity of the bass and high frequencies. Never anything major, just enough to either tighten the sound up a bit or add a little tiny bit extra.

Yea, for me though, I have found I need wider tips to make these sit as far from my ear as possible. The long tips could potentially do it, but its iffy for me. I was just commenting to clarify the shape and type of insertion you get with these tips because of how much difficulty I have had finding tips for these that wouldn't hurt my ears. Audio quality is a secondary concern for me right now because it can sound great, but if it causes me pain after 15 minutes, I wont be using it.

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,390 of 3,344

I honestly have not hear too much of an actual sound difference in tips, just usually small shifts in quantity of the bass and high frequencies. Never anything major, just enough to either tighten the sound up a bit or add a little tiny bit extra.

Yea, for me though, I have found I need wider tips to make these sit as far from my ear as possible. The long tips could potentially do it, but its iffy for me. I was just commenting to clarify the shape and type of insertion you get with these tips because of how much difficulty I have had finding tips for these that wouldn't hurt my ears. Audio quality is a secondary concern for me right now because it can sound great, but if it causes me pain after 15 minutes, I wont be using it.

for me non of the stock tips worked that shows how different our ear canals are. So I had to rely on tip modding. As I mentioned this will work for some who seek better seal to enjoy the it03 to its full potential. I tried over 10 tips of different types until i found that westone start tips filled with foam gave the best results, again this is my personal finding and will not apply to everyone, but i recommend trying such tip modding for people who think they are not getting the amazing sound of ibasso it03 

anyway such tip modding is not expensive and when you own many iems, its always good to try as many tips as possible 

i will do a video tomorrow for people who are interested

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,391 of 3,344
  for me non of the stock tips worked that shows how different our ear canals are. So I had to rely on tip modding. As I mentioned this will work for some who seek better seal to enjoy the it03 to its full potential. I tried over 10 tips of different types until i found that westone start tips filled with foam gave the best results, again this is my personal finding and will not apply to everyone, but i recommend trying such tip modding for people who think they are not getting the amazing sound of ibasso it03 

anyway such tip modding is not expensive and when you own many iems, its always good to try as many tips as possible 

i will do a video tomorrow for people who are interested

Thanks, I may try them anyways as you say because they are cheap enough that its not an issue, and who knows, maybe they will work better for my ears, and if they dont work for these, they might work really well for other iems I own. Though you say that even with the really small nozzle side of the tips they are able to stretch on and fit just fine?

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #1,392 of 3,344

Thanks, I may try them anyways as you say because they are cheap enough that its not an issue, and who knows, maybe they will work better for my ears, and if they dont work for these, they might work really well for other iems I own. Though you say that even with the really small nozzle side of the tips they are able to stretch on and fit just fine?

wait for my video tomorrow and you will see

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #1,393 of 3,344
i also tried diy hybrid tips.
adding foam inside, but leaving silicone outside, helps a lot with isolation while not killing the highs (foam tips tame the highs too much, to my ears).

started using this method: http://www.head-fi.org/t/777158/flc-technology-flc8-and-flc8s-impressions-thread/4770#post_12778579
but ended using these tips to refill (straight hole is already done, and you only have to cut them to your desired length:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-5pair-Memory-Foam-In-Ear-Earphone-Ear-pads-for-JVC-Sponge-Ear-Cups-Buds-Covers/1052204391.html

now, with it03, i'm using kz star line tips (L size for me), no foam, pushed all the way down (the tube of these tips are very large).
their kind of silicone is great for isolation, and the bore diameter matches exactly the grill diameter of the it03 nozzles.
i was not able to achieve such isolation by using any of the stock tips.

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #1,394 of 3,344

Thank you for sharing your experience! Greatly appreciates it.

How to you find the weight of the cable? Is it bulky, say a general compare to the IT03 stock cable? I have tried other cables and now turn full-circle back to the stock cable as it felt lighter...

The stock cable on the ibasso is lighter than the A83 cable.  It's a bit of a trade off, I guess.  I have never been bothered by the A83 cable weight, but I also use a clip usually, if I'm mobile, which helps with feeling a cable's weight or them pulling down your iems.  The stock ibasso cable can get a bit squirrley since it can get malformed and be all tangly if you tend to roll up your cable in a little carrying case.  I don't like cables touching my face or my neck.  Takes me out of the music.  A83 cable keeps a straight shape no matter how you roll it up and is supple for the most part.  The part that goes from the ear to the Y split is actually tubed in a thin clear tubing to probably help it keep shape or keep the wind in tact.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #1,395 of 3,344

The stock cable on the ibasso is lighter than the A83 cable.  It's a bit of a trade off, I guess.  I have never been bothered by the A83 cable weight, but I also use a clip usually, if I'm mobile, which helps with feeling a cable's weight or them pulling down your iems.  The stock ibasso cable can get a bit squirrley since it can get malformed and be all tangly if you tend to roll up your cable in a little carrying case.  I don't like cables touching my face or my neck.  Takes me out of the music.  A83 cable keeps a straight shape no matter how you roll it up and is supple for the most part.  The part that goes from the ear to the Y split is actually tubed in a thin clear tubing to probably help it keep shape or keep the wind in tact.

Thank you for sharing. Have placed an order for A83 (balanced) with Penon Audio!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back