IBasso Audio IT03
Oct 31, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #976 of 3,344

I also had comparison to A83 and other 3way hybrids in my review, scroll down to Comparison section: http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-it03/reviews/17016

sir i have read your comparison of the IT03 with Fodue A83... i am not familiar with those terms about sound, what do you mean exactly that the A83 sounds more organic? does that mean that it sounds more natural than IT03? how aboit the thickness of the mids? i know a83 sound much thinner and distant.. i hope u could enligjten me on this area. thanks

I'm actually glad you asked me about it because I just went back to do a/b listening of IT03 and A83.  When I took my listening notes, some were taken awhile back even before I reached full suggested burn in time, I remember hearing upper mids (vocals) in A83 to be smoother and more organic (natural) in comparison to IT03 (IT03 was brighter at first).  Now, I'm listening to both and hear them sound equally natural but IT03 has more body in lower mids in comparison to A83, making its (A83) mids sound thinner and a little more out of my head (you can call it a bit more distant).  While I have been testing other DAPs in the last month, I had IT03 on a "burn in" as a load, so now have over 200hrs on it.  I'm still very impressed with an impact of the bass, but the sound is more balanced and more coherent.  What is interesting, I have been listening to quite a few totl flagships lately, and usually you can hear a noticeable difference in sound going from TOTL to other "budget" IEMs, but IT03 sound still holds up!

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #977 of 3,344
Hi guys, i'm planning on buying a new hybrid iem. I came across this and i'm kinda worried about its impedance, since it's so low the sound would be completely different depending on the source used (as most of you stated as well).

I have a FiiO X1, has anyone tried with it? I heard it needs a warm source, and i consider the X1 warm but i don't know if it's warm enough. What do you guys think? I haven't decided if i'm going with these or not, but i'm considering.

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #983 of 3,344
Usually i follow the 1/8 rule, but a little over it shouldn't hurt. The X1's output impedance is < 2 Ohm.

Depending on how the IEM is configured, it's my understanding that even an output impedance as low as 2 ohms could impact frequency response with multi-BA IEM.

And of you can, I'd recommend trying out the new Shanling M1. It's tiny, has Bluetooth, and I bet it sounds as good or better than your X1.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #986 of 3,344
Anyone else pairing the IT03 with the Mojo? Kind of want to see what other people think.

OK. Tried it. Shanling M1 -> Mojo -> IT03. Sounds good to me. Bass is under control. Good mid presence. Nice sparkle up top. Spacial cues are good.

I listened with Shanling M3 for comparative purposes. Bass was still under control. Mids were a bit fuller. Top end was sharper with more sibilance exposed in the recordings. Spacial cues weren't as good.

I'll give a listen with Mojo vs Shanling M5 in the near future and report back since the M5 is currently my favorite pairing with IT03.

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #987 of 3,344
I don't suppose anybody has heard the IT03 and the Unique Melody Martian. I'm trying to decide between them as my next universal IEM. If anyone can post a comparison, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Nov 1, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #988 of 3,344
I don't suppose anybody has heard the IT03 and the Unique Melody Martian. I'm trying to decide between them as my next universal IEM. If anyone can post a comparison, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I have both. They are on par with each other as far as performance goes.

The IT03 has a much stronger bass and sub bass response, a bit more emphasis in the upper mid and lower treble regions and a relatively more V shaped frequency response.

The Martian's bass is leaner but more detailed, the mid range has more emphasis in the lower and middle mid regions, lower treble is more tamed while the upper treble has a good deal more sparkle, and the overall frequency response is somewhat W shaped. 

The Martian's presentation appears a tad more layered and holographic to my ears but the IT03 is no slouch either. Lastly the IT03 does much better in terms of tone and timbre, and overall a much better value in my opinion. 

If you have any other specific question just let me know! 

Nov 1, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #989 of 3,344

The IT03 has a much stronger bass and sub bass response, a bit more emphasis in the upper mid and lower treble regions and a relatively more V shaped frequency response.

The Martian's bass is leaner but more detailed, the mid range has more emphasis in the lower and middle mid regions, lower treble is more tamed while the upper treble has a good deal more sparkle, and the overall frequency response is somewhat W shaped. 

The Martian's presentation appears a tad more layered and holographic to my ears but the IT03 is no slouch either. Lastly the IT03 does much better in terms of tone and timbre, and overall a much better value in my opinion. 

Agreed on all counts.
I would also add: I find the IT03 way more comfortable than the Martian. It's lighter with a slightly narrower nozzle and the semi-custom housing has more pronounced shapes than the Martian making it stay in place better (at leat in my ears)

Nov 1, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #990 of 3,344

The W shape of UM Martian is relatively flat in my opinion, at least when compared to IT03's V shape.
The Martian's bass is detailed but almost polite to say the least (I really wondered if the second dynamic driver was missing the first time I heard them).

Not being judgemental here, but they don't sound similar at all if people are hesitating between both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back