IBasso Audio IT03
Sep 29, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #392 of 3,344
  But this is kind of my point! Most good quality monitors with a decent tuning are capable of reproducing exactly the same details. How the are presented however is a different matter.

Is the IEM surfacing details through it's resolution? In which case everything is not immediately obvious but is actually presented in a relaxing, natural and coherent way, or is the IEM forcing the details through frequency emphasis/tuning? With the latter, when demoing IEM's it may produce an immediate wow factor and be impressive in quick comparisons but actually, something that is highly resolving may need some more time spend to truly appreciate it's technical ability.

I guess this is about the same as what I was trying to tell some time ago in the 2nd part of this post
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/803737/custom-art-harmony-8-2-flagship-ciem-reload/165#post_12785182

Back on topic: my IT03 has just been shipped => excited!!!

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #395 of 3,344
Sep 29, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #396 of 3,344
Sep 29, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #397 of 3,344

Why would he? Just staring at them in their beautiful box is part of the fun, isn't it?
tongue.gif

tongue.gif

Honestly though, these IEMs actually have me interested, I have a feeling about them. 

I especially like their physical design and appearance. Few more impressions and I might be good to jump on board..

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #398 of 3,344
First impressions weren't overly positive (though pretty good-decent); though I don't believe in burn in I'll let it run for a day or two before concluding. I was also running this via iPhone 5, which may affect the sound because it has a very low impedance of 8 ohm.

Bass is really wonderful. It extends so low, and is linear across. Subbass is just as present as midbass.

Mids are probably the weaker aspect of these. They have a slightly blunt edge to vocals, doesn't feel exceptionally sharp or crisp. Some tracks sounded a little nasally. Apart from that, the lower mids are nice and smooth.

Treble has a primary peak in the lower treble, but it extends very well and sounds smooth after that. The peak around 7-8k might feel harsh or sibilant to some listeners; I'd assume a lower zout will tame this.

Fit wasn't too great, the edges of the cymba are ridiculously sharp; but this goes from person to person.

Tips, though plenty, are the flimsy thin tips that are horrible to use. They flip inside out when pulling it out your ears... I am using Mee P1 tips on these.

The cable seems a little thin and wirey, but that's all I can say for now. I'm using my P1 cable for these!

These are just first impressions, I will update again in a few days; the sound is well worth $250 but I don't know if it's a giant killer.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #399 of 3,344
First impressions weren't overly positive (though pretty good-decent); though I don't believe in burn in I'll let it run for a day or two before concluding. I was also running this via iPhone 5, which may affect the sound slightly.

Just so everyone else is aware, iphone 5 has 4.5 ohm output impedance and IT03 are 8 ohm, not a good pairing whatsoever, IP5 will have more than just a slight effect, it will practically destroy whatever balance ibasso were aiming for with IT03. Try IT03 out of something else, otherwise your impressions are only useful to people with IP5, thanks for mentioning though.

Honestly though, these IEMs actually have me interested, I have a feeling about them. 
I especially like their physical design and appearance. Few more impressions and I might be good to jump on board..

I'm finding the overall balance lovely, they are so engaging and fleshed out, more than most iems. Tuned to perfection I must say. The mids make me melt into my chair they are euphonic, not recessed at all, right there with the treble, which is again rather euphoniously presented, and full of detail. The bass is slammin, can be a bit bombastic (yet not what I'd call overdone) only if the track has lots of sub bass, but the mid bass is never bloated, it just punches you in the face every time and disappears, leaving you a bit surprised lol. I hear no peaks or dips in the FR, it is very coherent and whole. I'm using with QA360LE, 0.075 ohms output impedance.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #400 of 3,344
Amp.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #401 of 3,344
First impressions weren't overly positive (though pretty good-decent); though I don't believe in burn in I'll let it run for a day or two before concluding. I was also running this via iPhone 5, which may affect the sound slightly.

Bass is really wonderful. It extends so low, and is linear across. Subbass is just as present as midbass.

Mids are probably the weaker aspect of these. They have a slightly blunt edge to vocals, doesn't feel exceptionally sharp or crisp. Some tracks sounded a little nasally. Apart from that, the lower mids are nice and smooth.

Treble has a primary peak in the lower treble, but it extends very well and sounds smooth after that. The peak around 7-8k might feel harsh or sibilant to some listeners; I'd assume a lower zout will tame this.

Fit wasn't too great, the edges of the cymba are ridiculously sharp; but this goes from person to person.

Tips, though plenty, are the flimsy thin tips that are horrible to use. They flip inside out when pulling it out your ears... I am using Mee P1 tips on these.

The cable seems a little thin and wirey, but that's all I can say for now. I'm using my P1 cable for these!

These are just first impressions, I will update again in a few days; the sound is well worth $250 but I don't know if it's a giant killer.

Can you elaborate more about the mids?
Are they in front, recessed?
Blunt edged meaning distant? Is it apparent on female vocals, males? Do you think the mids have a correct tonality? 

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #402 of 3,344

Just so everyone else is aware, iphone 5 has 4.5 ohm output impedance and IT03 are 8 ohm, so IP5 will have more than just a slight effect, it will practically destroy whatever balance ibasso were aiming for with IT03. Try IT03 out of something else, otherwise your impressions are only useful to people with IP5, thanks for mentioning though, good to know.

You might be right about that, afaik the twfk impedance curve suggest that the most apparent change would occur at 2khz (primary ba spike there). Which is also one of the most sensible range in human hearing.

If a capacitor was used for the crossover on that twfk to make a high pass filter, then it would be around that same range that overlap the dynamic driver skipping/taming that impedance ba spike. On the other hand Assuming the overlap is at that 2khz range it could present itself as the less coherent area...

Also taking into account the overall impedance of this IEM being 8ohm, knowing that the twfk 30017 have an impedance of 43ohm@1khz we should have a dynamic driver that have an impedance of ~10ohm. 

So we have to take into account that this is not a typical scenario of a complete balanced armature iem needing the 1/8 Zout. The change in Zout might not be that different overall because of the high Z of the twfk already.

One thing is sure we need more impressions to know how it sound with a <1ohm Zout

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #403 of 3,344

I'm finding the overall balance lovely, they are so engaging and fleshed out, more than most iems. Tuned to perfection I must say. The mids make me melt into my chair they are euphonic, not recessed at all, right there with the treble, which is again rather euphoniously presented, and full of detail. The bass is slammin, can be a bit bombastic (yet not what I'd call overdone) only if the track has lots of sub bass, but the mid bass is never bloated, it just punches you in the face every time and disappears, leaving you a bit surprised lol. I hear no peaks or dips in the FR, it is very coherent and whole.

Thanks for your impressions. These sound really impressive.
What about comfort do you have any problem? Do you find that edge filling your helix sharp? 

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #405 of 3,344
It's really wonderful to see many users here who are either using or awaiting for the IT03s.

Couple of stuffs I've did yesterday:
1. Pairing the IT03 with a third party 4 core copper cable. Slightly warmer signature with a less pronounced mids. Overall signature feels livelier and happy!

2. Fisher Audio tips (those with sponge dampers under the flanges)

Verdict: bad! Instant loss of details on the treble and over-emphasis on the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back