IBasso Audio IT03
Sep 28, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #376 of 3,344

I would tend to think that the detail level of Katanas is partially biaised by the flatter singature (note I didn't say flat), especially on the bass side.
Same for Andromeda.

If you like a bit more bass (as I do), you will lose some details in the lower mids even with a very good crossover. But I'm willing to accept this.
I demo-ed the last iteration of Jomo 6 today, flat as a board, you immediately spot some minor details, partially because you can also increase the volume a bit more with a flat signature.

As you say, very subjective in the end.

That's probably true, Might explain the difference in impressions.

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #377 of 3,344
Also, detail is not the be all and end all as we all know! Effortlessness, realism, tone and resolution for me are far more important aspects. There are too many products out there that artificially bring out details through flattening the image / dynamics and putting unnatural emphasis on specific frequency ranges to etch the sound (think application of sharpening tool on photoshop on a point and shoot vs. a well taken image with a highly resolving DSLR!!). 

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #378 of 3,344
  Also, detail is not the be all and end all as we all know! Effortlessness, realism, tone and resolution for me are far more important aspects. There are too many products out there that artificially bring out details through flattening the image / dynamics and putting unnatural emphasis on specific frequency ranges to etch the sound (think application of sharpening tool on photoshop on a point and shoot vs. a well taken image with a highly resolving DSLR!!). 

The point I think being made is that the original impressions indicated the it03 lacking details compared to the k10. Obviously people are hearing things differently, as some of us do not see the k10 as detailed at all, other trusted sources are saying the it03 might even be a bit more detailed than andro. So, there is enough differences in impressions that maybe the original impressions might have missed something or hearing something that the average would not hear.

Moot point until more of us get the iem.

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #379 of 3,344
But this is kind of my point! Most good quality monitors with a decent tuning are capable of reproducing exactly the same details. How the are presented however is a different matter.

Is the IEM surfacing details through it's resolution? In which case everything is not immediately obvious but is actually presented in a relaxing, natural and coherent way, or is the IEM forcing the details through frequency emphasis/tuning? With the latter, when demoing IEM's it may produce an immediate wow factor and be impressive in quick comparisons but actually, something that is highly resolving may need some more time spend to truly appreciate it's technical ability.

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #381 of 3,344
But this is kind of my point! Most good quality monitors with a decent tuning are capable of reproducing exactly the same details. How the are presented however is a different matter.

Is the IEM surfacing details through it's resolution? In which case everything is not immediately obvious but is actually presented in a relaxing, natural and coherent way, or is the IEM forcing the details through frequency emphasis/tuning? With the latter, when demoing IEM's it may produce an immediate wow factor and be impressive in quick comparisons but actually, something that is highly resolving may need some more time spend to truly appreciate it's technical ability.

After reading all of the posts hyping them up, your post is exactly why I am not listening to these and posting impressions until adequate burn in and listening session. I really want to see how these can handle different sources and different genres before really thinking about comparing/contrasting. I recently received the Jomo Audio Genesis, and that is exactly the type of IEM that develops its remarkable sound over time.

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #383 of 3,344
Hype is real. Was thinking about purchasing andromedas until I read twister's post on the thread. Anyone try it with a Sony zx2 and check hiss levels?

I just checked for a few songs. I heard slight hiss only on one track, but the quality of that track wasn't the best. It actually sounds like it will pair well with the ZX2.

EDIT: My plan was to just listen to the IT03 and the ZX2 for a few songs just to test the hiss then go back to burn in, but now I can't take them out. Really enjoying this pairing.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #384 of 3,344
Hmm, when I had the k10 I actually didn't find them very detailed. I find the andromeda much more detailed (mids for sure), and some are saying the it03 is more detailed in upper mids. I guess I will see for myself later this week.

I agree with your assessment of K10, although my listening time was brief. Perhaps if I'd had more time to go directly back and forth, of come to a different conclusion. But as it is, Andromeda struck me as more detailed yet but not flat, reference.

It looks like I'll be getting a pair of it03 soon. I'll chime in once they've burned in a bit and I feel like I've gotten to know them.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #385 of 3,344

He's done the same in at least the Andromeda and Fidue SIRIUS threads - most of his posts are purely congratulatory and have near 0 substantiation. Yet he has no insight that he's contributing (almost single-handedly) to the immense hype surrounding the product. Personally, I have to speak up against that as it just ruins the experience of coming to this forum, when 50% of all I read comes from one person restating the same opinion with little to no new information. 

when something is good, what more can you say aside from praising it.
when something is bad, what more can you say aside from criticising it.

lows: excellent subbass rumble 10/10
mids: transparent and detailed 8/10
highs: not grainy at all, well extended 9/10
soundstage:above average 8/10
details: above average 8/10
fit: for me 10/10
totl level: 9/10
price to performance ratio:10/10
impedance: low very easy to drive
case: quite wierd 7/10
stock tips: an assortment 8/10
cable: great 9/10

Excuse the large letters, but 

with what music and at what approximate listening volume (low/medium/high) out of what gear? 

Music and volume make ALL the difference. I have cheap IEMs that sound fantastic at low and medium volumes to acoustic music, and fall apart quickly after that, or sound harsh and awful with modern pop and electronica. I've asked you to state this kind of thing before. Please do so for the sake of everyone. Just "They are great" or whatever is useless. "I liked them a lot listening to such-and-such tracks at a moderate volume from my whatever." is considerably more helpful. 

Please try and post more detailed impressions. I believe there would be far less in the way of pointless arguments if we could understand better what arises to people finding gear to good, OK or bad.

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #386 of 3,344
Still liking these. The mids and treble are similarly open, separated, smooth yet detailed, the bass is thick and powerful, not slow. Enjoyable. I'm listening to trance. I just realised when I listen to other genres the bass is no longer so thick and the treble and mids jump forward, (probably as other genres have less sub bass).
So these it03 can really handle any genre well, they have a balanced sound, only when listening to genres with prominent sub bass does the sound become warmer in balance, which is actually nice, so it's like the best of both worlds heh. Easily driven, they are loud at 50 out of 150 with QA360LE. Did a quick compare to Ultrasone IQ Pro and Sony XBA-3, the IT03 walks away the winner.

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #387 of 3,344
I have been using the IT03 our of the DX80, the X7 balanced, Hugo and the Mojo. I listen at what I would consider moderate to louder volumes as I don't enjoy background music but more realistic levels of sound. I think you miss a lot when listening to low levels so sometimes, like with Almond Brothers on live music, it is around 100 on the DX80 and I don't know what db that relates to but I think it is louder than what I read some use hear (I could be wrong but I know some listen at what I consider low volumes and nothing wrong with that) and more realistic. I can understand why Ray of RSA Audio liked his music louder, I listen because I want to enjoy it at a realistic level. I have good hearing to excellent and can hear to 17khz. I can hear a snake in the grass when we hike and can hear a toad hopping. Really. I do many things to protect and preserve my hearing but as mentioned, if listening to music, I want to enjoy it. 

Listening right now to Sacred Love, Sting at a volume of 95, high gain, almost too loud but really enjoyable. Wonderful depth, separation of singers and instruments, airiness and transparency and but you can tell it is a studio recording, which is why I ultimately like well recorded live recordings but Sacred Love in DSD is good stuff! Bass impact is precise and controlled. 

At high volumes, higher than I care to listen to, the IT03 do not breakup or compress the sound. The sound field stays large or however it was recorded. Dynamics and speed (the settling of the drivers) is fast and handles complex music without a problem. 

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #389 of 3,344
  Appreciate the impressions people. I was just wondering if people find the IT03 to be a coherent sounding iem? That's my main worry when it comes to hybrids. Thanks. 

I have both BA and hybrid and to me, the IT03 integrates the dynamic driver and the BA mid and tweeter extremely well. What a person might notice, if they are used to a total BA IEM, is that the ITO3 have more bass. Not an overwhelming bass but a deeper and to me, a more natural and encompassing bass. I was concerned about it being a coherent sound as I have the Newform Research 645 speakers and that was a concern about them, as they have two totally different types of drivers but they pulled it off and the sound is excellent. The IT03 also is clean, to my ears, from the lows to the highs with no strange jump form the lower freq to mids. I suppose this is why iBasso went with a in-house design dynamic bass driver, to make this all possible in the best way possible. 

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #390 of 3,344

I have both BA and hybrid and to me, the IT03 integrates the dynamic driver and the BA mid and tweeter extremely well. What a person might notice, if they are used to a total BA IEM, is that the ITO3 have more bass. Not an overwhelming bass but a deeper and to me, a more natural and encompassing bass. I was concerned about it being a coherent sound as I have the Newform Research 645 speakers and that was a concern about them, as they have two totally different types of drivers but they pulled it off and the sound is excellent. The IT03 also is clean, to my ears, from the lows to the highs with no strange jump form the lower freq to mids. I suppose this is why iBasso went with a in-house design dynamic bass driver, to make this all possible in the best way possible. 

Aaaah. That's reassuring. Thank you. Really appreciate the comparison and explanation. I've owned four hybrid iems in my lifetime. The Astrotec AX35, Dn 2000, the ASG 1+ and UM Merlin. Of the four, I only found the Merlin and ASG 1+ to have been well implemented and coherent (to my knowledge the ASG 1+ didn't have crossovers so coherency wasn't an issue for it). So naturally the question of crossover implementation and coherency is one of great concern to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back