I think this is gonna be expensive...
Feb 28, 2011 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

VanCitySound

100+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]Hi everybody, I think that I have been bitten by the headphone bug.  [/size]

[size=medium]A couple months ago I decided that it was time to get some full size cans and I picked up the Pioneer SE-M390 and was blown away by the sound.  I could hear the loss in all my 196 kbps music and have spent the last 2 months re-ripping everything lossless.  I then decided to get the Koss Portapros for mobile listening.[/size]

[size=medium]I’ve listened to everything form the 1972 Decca recording of Puccini’s Turandot, to DJ Doboy’s Special Summer Editions to current Billboard stuff and a lot in between these extremes.  Everything has sounded pretty darn good on the Pioneers, and to a lesser degree, the Portapros. [/size]

[size=medium]But I’m looking for the next fix… I strongly suspect that there a few levels of “better” sound out there and want to explore this.  I’m looking for bigger, richer sound with warmth, depth and an expansive sound stage… something that will raise the hairs on my neck when I listen to a quality orchestral recording.[/size]

[size=medium]What should I be looking at? [/size]

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 23
A bigger wallet.

In all seriousness, though, it mostly depends on what your preferences are. For example, do you want open or closed headphones? Closed headphones prevents your neighbors from hearing your music and have good isolation but open headphones tend to sound more richer depending on which headphones you decide on. Will sound leakage be an issue?

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 23
Price range? What sort of headphone? Do you want an amp? Do you already have a DAC?

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 23
I started to post and then looked at my record.  You would do better not listening to my advise, unless you make about four times as much money as i do.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 23

[size=10pt]Hi, sound leakage won't be an issue for me.  As for cost I don't know if I can justify huge dollars but I realize that I may have to pay a reasonable amount to get better sound.  I don't know if $200 will translate into substantially better sound over the Pioneers which are like $60 but seem to perform at level that is better than the price suggests.  I would suspect that this is like anything else in that once you get to a certain level of cost/quality to get just a bit better quality will result twice as much money.  I’m not sure where the price point is where you start getting “diminishing returns” so to speak.[/size]

[size=10pt]I’m guess I’m open to an amp, cord etc. if it will make a substantial difference.  Right now its just the phones plugged into the sound card.[/size]

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 23
I would say that the sweet spot for headphone setups is around $600 amp+headphone. I may be completely wrong.

$200 puts you at a kind of awkward place where you could get a great headphone, that may need an amp to be played properly, or a less great (but still awesome) headphone that doesn't need an amp... 

I would suggest two things. An Amp/Dac such as a Fiio E7 or Nuforce uDac, to function as an external soundcard. And a nice $100 or so pair of cans.

Someone may suggest a better desktop anp/dac in that price range, I'm not sure.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 23
Denon D5000 + Audio-GD NFB-12
Decent mid-fi and I think most ppl can be happy staying around this level.  A little bass heavy but pretty good generalist imo, especially for stuff that gets on billboard top *.

But yeah, what is your budget?

edit: duh...   hmmphf, for $200, FiiO E7 + Audio-Technica M50 (yeah, I know they cost more now (or one of the Shure ... but reach a little ? :) )

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 23
HD600's and an amp/dac. I may be a little biased.... :D

There's tons out there in that range. What kind of sound are you after specifically? The setup above is pretty great too.

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #10 of 23
If you want to truly enjoy orchestral music without going over $500 I would recommend either the AKG k701 or the Beyerdynamic DT880. With these headphones you will experience a whole new level of analytical listening, and strings and accoustics will be on an entirely new playing field. Plus at the price point of <$300 for these headphones you could afford a decent $250 or so amp (and trust me, you will need an amp with these). I personally use the FiiO e7 dac + FiiO e9 with the k701, and I feel it's an excellent midrange setup. All together that would set you back around $450, but make sure you read up on these headphones before you make a decision, many people hate them while others (like me) simply love them.

cheers, and welcome to head-fi, we've all got the bug! 
k701smile.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 23
[size=medium]Thanks all, I found a local shop called Headphone Bar:  http://headphonebar.com/[/size]

[size=medium]Looks like they carry: Grado, Klipsch, Nuforce, AKG, Sennheiser, AIAIAI, Shure, Urbanears, Eskuche and Audio Technica.[/size]

[size=medium]I'm gonna try and go and do some listening on the weekend.  I'll let you know how it goes. [/size]

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 23

[size=small][size=small]Hi all, I did some listening and was really impressed with the HD 800 and the HD 650.  I thought that the HD 598 and the SHR840 were good.  I felt that the HD 558 was okay.  I did not particularly like the K 171 and the SR80i.[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small] [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]I bought a NuForce uDac-2 which seems to “brighten” the  M390 and sharpen the bass  by a very small amount.   It did not, however, make a big difference on my desktop which has a high end sound card.  Hopefully it will be enough for the cans I end up getting.[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]Although I only listened for a short time it seemed to me that the HD 800 wasn’t $1k better than the HD 650 (if better at all).  The HD 558 seemed similar to the M390 and costs quite a bit more.  It seems that the M390 is a bargain and can compete (at least to my ears) at least double its price, if not more.  To my tastes I would pick it over the lower end AKGs or Grados.  The SHR840 may be a compromise and I am not sure that I can live with the HD 598 after hearing the HD 650.  The HD 650 was very impressive, it had an incredible soundstage that sounded like the music was all around me, but it’s expensive.  I’d like to hear some Beyerdynamics and Denon cans. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]I highly recommend Headphone Bar to everyone in the Vancouver area looking for cans.[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]I think I need reasonable bass reproduction and a big enveloping soundstage (perhaps a tall order), any further recommendations? [/size][/size]
[size=small] [/size]

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 23
Get the HD650 with one of the entry level Audio-GD amp/dac combos (NFB-11/12, Sparrow). You'd have a pretty good dac if you decide to upgrade to a standalone amp down the track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back