I think this is gonna be expensive...
Mar 5, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

[size=small][size=small]I think I need reasonable bass reproduction and a big enveloping soundstage (perhaps a tall order), any further recommendations? [/size][/size]
[size=small] [/size]

I'll suggest Beyerdynamics 600 Ohm DT880 with a decent tube amp, that will likely be just over your $500 budget. Ideally you want a good source, as that what you're amplifying and listening too with your headphones however $500 alone won't buy you that.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #18 of 23

Quote:

[size=small][size=small] [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]Although I only listened for a short time it seemed to me that the HD 800 wasn’t $1k better than the HD 650 (if better at all).[/size][/size]
[size=small] [/size]

Gotta say that after I got the HD800's I have only put on my HD650's (with the $330 Zu mobius recable) about four times.....in almost two years.  I recently tried again and they are just so dull sounding I feel like i am not hearing all the music.  How much better can it be?

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #19 of 23
I never heard HD800 but i love my HD650 and after i heard HD650 I can't go down to DT990/880 and down and while i do like DT990 but their highs are too bright and even EQ only can reduce brightness but not get rid of it that's why my pair od DT990 is in for sale forum right now

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #21 of 23
[size=small]Thanks guys, I actually just picked up the Shure 840 brand new for an out of pocket cost of $105 (on sale plus a discount).  I just couldn't say no to that price.  They are burning in as I write this and I'll give my impressions in a coupe of days.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]That means the M390 goes to the office, the Portapros stay mobile and the Shures stay at home on the PC…. but my wife needs ones for her laptop, the entertainment center needs cans and so does the stereo in the basement, so that means at least 3 more… right
wink.gif
[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]I have not tried the Pioneer SE-A1000 but they look interesting.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]I am going to try to find a place to try the DT 880 (600)… but that HD 650 is calling my name. [/size]

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #22 of 23
Spend all your money on the best headphone that you can get. The sound quality you'll gain from getting a better headphone will be much larger than if you get an amp or dac.

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #23 of 23
Spend all your money on the best headphone that you can get. The sound quality you'll gain from getting a better headphone will be much larger than if you get an amp or dac.

Totally agree to this that is exactly why i got my HD650 and now waiting for Moon Audio Blue Dragon Version 3 cable to make them even better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back