I set my EQ like this for my HD380, should I get different phones?
May 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gft

New Head-Fier
I was listening to Krystian Zimerman playing Chopin's piano concertos, and I found that I enjoyed the music much more with my equalizer set like below. I'm wondering if there is some other headphone that would sound like this without correction.

Otherwise, I love my sennheiser hd 380 phones. They are a lot more comfortable than the 280 for my big ears.

Thanks for any suggestions!

May 14, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 11
You're probably not going to like this but here goes anyway.

I listen to a lot of piano and recently auditioned new cans for with a view to replacing my HD280s. This included the HD380s. They sounded great with rock and similar genres and the bass was a great improvement on the 280s but when I auditioned using piano as my source I was disappointed. These cans changed the sound of the piano so it no longer sounded natural and I decided I couldn't live with a piano sound like that. It had a similar effect on string tones.

So I'm guessing that you are EQing thes HP because of this sound signature?

Anyway, to cut a long story short I parted with a bit more money and bought the Shure SRH840s. I've now got the 280s at work running through a small amp (PA2V2) and they are a great sounding set of phones, they just need to be driven to get the best out of them. That said they are not a patch on the Shures.

May 15, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the suggestion! I have 10 days before I can't return the hd380s, so I'll see if I can audition the shure SRH840. I imagine I'll miss the comfort of the Sennheisers.

May 15, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 11
http://aloaudio.com/fostex-tr50rp-orthodynamic-headphone-.html
+
http://schiit.com/products/asgard/

you will thank me later

OR!!!! since the fostex can handle some insane current
http://schiit.com/products/lyr/

*note an amp is not required as they sounded DAMN good out of a sony walkman out of a woo2 I was blown away for classical an piano*
I highly suggest the fostex t50rp for classical/piano, with a good amp they are even good for rock.

May 15, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 11
waitwut?!?!?!?!?!?!! do you have a bad source or what when I put them on I thought they were playing music out of some super highend monitors, it sounded like the music was all around me and super detailed and natural.

May 15, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
waitwut?!?!?!?!?!?!! do you have a bad source or what when I put them on I thought they were playing music out of some super highend monitors, it sounded like the music was all around me and super detailed and natural.

The general consensus is that they sound exactly like $80 headphones right out the box, this is why there is such a huge thread on modification. The sound was bright and detailed, however it lacked the body and intimacy I am used too with my other phones. I haven't wrote them off, I'll have another go modding them but as I say this is a requirement.

May 15, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 11
I find that I only have one or two acoustic recordings where I feel that the EQ I showed above is too strong. Now that I've thought about it, I think I know why I prefer the sound that way. I'm thinking that the EQ I showed above makes music sound like it did in my Dad's old Sony MDR-V6. Since I grew up listening to them, maybe I expect headphones to all sound like that? I can't be sure, since those headphones are long gone. Maybe the question I should be asking is: What sounds like the Sony MDR-V6, but more comfy?

I disagree that the hd380 sounds exactly like the hd280, although the only difference might be the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back