I need sound advice (pun intended)
Oct 26, 2017 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

iamatechnoob

New Head-Fier
Sorry there's no TL;DR because there's just too much details to leave out IMO ):

I
apologise in advance for the long story, just thought I should flesh out the details so people can have a clear story of what I need.

I have recently decided to replace an old & cheap Sades headset that has a broken mic. I have just started playing Rainbow 6, and with a mic it might improve the gaming experience for me.

I have did research over the past few days, and decided on a decent headset + mic combo. No strict budget but I am trying to go below $100 in total, but if there is a need I can increase.

I do not live in the US, so am trying to consolidate my purchased items into 1 shipment and ship it to my home country. So where possible I would like to make a quick decision over the next week or so.

Headset:

I have decided on the Samson SR850, after considering the Superlux 668B for the longest time, mainly due to the fact I do not have to purchase velour earpads replacement and they cost the same. I live in a tropical climate and the breathable earpads will help with the sweat situation. The only thing I am worried about is its semi-open back nature, I have yet to own one, and I am afraid when gaming/listening to music at night at average levels I might bother people in the same/next room (doors open). Any opinions on that would be good.

Mic:
I have an old Shure Beta58A (supercardioid dynamic vocal microphone) with an XLR to USB 2.0 cable. This is my first time using it even though I've bought it before. However, the pick up volume is extremely low unless I am right on top of the mic, or shouting, and even then it is still not overly loud. I am not sure if this is due to the nature of the microphone, or the lack of power from the XLR-USB cable.

Now you have my backstory, here is my 2-level dilemma:

Do I need to purchase a DAC/AMP so that I can have decent sounding music/mic pick up with my Shure mic & Samson headset? I do not think I have a soundcard, and the motherboard I am using is Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H. Not sure if this can provide decent sound with the Samson headset. I am currently using cheap speakers and headsets so can't tell, but I would like to improve my experience since I have a little bit of extra cash right now.

Do I purchase a new mic? There are a couple of cheap mics that I can clip onto the cable of the headset that seems to pick up decently as seen/heard from the Amazon reviews.

Clip on Mic options:
Neewer 2X 3.5mm Hands Free Computer Clip on Mini Lapel Microphone
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DJOIPQ/ref=ox_sc_...

and

Zalman Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029MTMQ/ref=ox_sc_...

Huge thanks to anyone who has read all the way, I very much appreciate this community.

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 5
Here is a question about the mic: does it require phantom power? Sometimes XLR mics require +48V power to operate so perhaps this is the case and you're just starving it.

As for clip on mics, I see the best feedback on the VModa one and the Mod mic.

A dac/amp won't help with microphone issues because your mic doesn't go through that gear. If anything, it would go through an audio interface like the Scarlett Solo 2, but you won't need that unless your mic needs phantom power as mentioned above. A good starter dac/amp is the Fiio E10k for 80 bucks. The next step up is a Schiit Fulla 2, and above that is the Magni 2/Modi 2 stack.

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 5
Here is a question about the mic: does it require phantom power? Sometimes XLR mics require +48V power to operate so perhaps this is the case and you're just starving it.

As for clip on mics, I see the best feedback on the VModa one and the Mod mic.

A dac/amp won't help with microphone issues because your mic doesn't go through that gear. If anything, it would go through an audio interface like the Scarlett Solo 2, but you won't need that unless your mic needs phantom power as mentioned above. A good starter dac/amp is the Fiio E10k for 80 bucks. The next step up is a Schiit Fulla 2, and above that is the Magni 2/Modi 2 stack.
The Shure Beta 58A is a dynamic mic and it doesn't need phantom power.

VModa and Mod mic are very expensive, especially the latter. I did check them out but decided against it due to the price.

Yeah I've been looking at Behringer UMC22 and although my mic doesn't need phantom power, I think it might benefit from the increased amp. Would plugging my headphones into the audio interface make it sound better than plugging directly into my mobo?

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 5
Would plugging my headphones into the audio interface make it sound better than plugging directly into my mobo?
It depends, the audio interface may be a better DAC than your mobile chip but the interfaces typically have weak amps. I honestly wouldn't expect too much improvement in sound from an audio interface unless your mobo is audibly distorting at high volumes or if you're getting any kind of electrical interference from the power cables inside your case.

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 5
It depends, the audio interface may be a better DAC than your mobile chip but the interfaces typically have weak amps. I honestly wouldn't expect too much improvement in sound from an audio interface unless your mobo is audibly distorting at high volumes or if you're getting any kind of electrical interference from the power cables inside your case.

I see. Well, thanks for the tips and advice! I'll try out using the XLR-3.5mm cable, if it doesn't work I'll probably get the Behringer UMC22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back