i need good headphones with monster bass to wear under a cycling helmet
Jun 11, 2010 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

g1981c

Head-Fier
i ride a bike every day for about an hour at close to maximum effort for fitness.  i listen to progressive trance and industrial mostly when i ride - i need strong bass to keep me energized.

i was using DJ headphones until now and they are great, problem is others have convinced me to start using a helmet so i can't use my DJ cans any more.

i would prefer something inexpensive like Sony but it must have at least the following characteristics:

1 - it must REALLY stay in place.  i can't afford to have it fall out at 20 mph and get tangled in the wheel.

2 - it must have MONSTER bass.  as much bass as my DJ headphones.

i understand IE8 would be good for me ?  but is there something cheaper that would do it ?

thanks in advance !

ps: my source will be iPhone 3GS, no amp.

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 7
Monster Gold, Senn IE6, Hippo VB, a-Jays, wooden IEMs, there are plenty with real monster bass, at significantly lower price than the IE8.
Since you'll be using them while biking you're not likely to need too much detail and "audiophilia", but a thumping bassline, hence, IMHO the IE8 would be overkill.

ETA,
For iphone use, take a look at Zagg Z.buds, they will not fall out of your ears and they have iphone functionality as well.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Monster Gold, Senn IE6, Hippo VB, a-Jays, wooden IEMs, there are plenty with real monster bass, at significantly lower price than the IE8.
Since you'll be using them while biking you're not likely to need too much detail and "audiophilia", but a thumping bassline, hence, IMHO the IE8 would be overkill.

ETA,
For iphone use, take a look at Zagg Z.buds, they will not fall out of your ears and they have iphone functionality as well.

i am reading reviews of IE6 on amazon and people are saying "too loud" say what ?  and "distorted" ???

i would feel safer buying sennheiser as i have had many of their cans over the years and even though none were perfect i know it is overall a good company.  but these comments on amazon make me feel uneasy about it ?

just what do they mean by "too loud" ?  two different reviewers said this.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 7
I have no idea what they mean with "too loud". The ones that I tried certainly weren't too loud, they are just as loud or silent as any other IEM.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 7
They may be referring to the fact that the IE6 is overly easy to drive, a problem common with IEMs. The IE6 is rated at 16 ohms/115db, overall very sensitive, I believe. An amp with too much gain and not enough notches to choose from would be problematic with this. I do not believe this would be a problem with an iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back