I lost my headphone virginity and boy am I happy
Aug 12, 2011 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

z00100

New Head-Fier
Thanks to trolling in these forums I upgraded from my bose over ear headphones to ultrasone hd580s. I always thought that bose made good products but boy was I wrong.

The ultrasone opened up my mind to good sound and now I want more.

I am seriously thinking of an upgrade and want to get some advice on what choices I have.

I listen to techno, rock and lots of styles of music and really enjoy bass. Although I now realize that all out bass isn't necessarily the best and controlled bass is what I want.

So that being said, and considering that my main source of music is through my computer using flac or 320 mbps mp3 being piped through my xonar st card, what do I need to get headphone nirvana?

I would like 3 choices if possible.

1. Would be a budget choice
2. Would be a mid range intelligent choice
3. Would be no holds barred extreme end.

Looking forward to seeing all the suggestions.

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 21
Im gonna suggest an expensive option. Given that you seem to be listening indoors and I am imagining sound leak to not be too much of a problem, if you can spring for an amp the sennheiser hd650 are a good choice.

This is nowhere near all out high end but would still be an expensive option by most peoples standards. If you have friends with good cans try to borrow them.

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 21
Heya,

How long have you had your HFI 580's? Don't upgrade yet if it's recent. Spend more time with them. Figure out what you're after. You're going to find a plateau of increase in quality for the cost as you approach the mid-tier lines in the $300~$500 ranges. Also, take a look at source as well, a lot of times, just changing your DAC and source collection can have an impact on headphones you already have. Amp as well, to an extent. But don't think going overboard with source gear. Headphones should still be the primary of the budget in my opinion. But I will say, a good source goes a long way for your future headphones.

Based on the genres you said you like and the bass you want, the PRO 900 is the next logical jump from the HFI 580. It's also twice the cost.

1. You have an HFI 580, there is no budget choice once you pass this tier (entry). You're going to have to drop a solid $200~$350 basically to move up a tier. Otherwise, you're just buying more entry level. If you want a complimentary headphone to the HFI 580, it would be to seek out a headphone that does a lot of mids or is neutral. But ultimately, if you're looking for more as you said, you should be looking at going to the mid-tier headphones at this point. Otherwise, it's just more money on something you'll want to replace yet again. It's cheaper in the long run to just go for the gold in hifi, otherwise, it's a lot more spending as you climb the ladder bit by bit.

2. What does this mean?

3. What does this mean? Bass?

Ultrasone Pro 900 (closed) or Ultrasone 2900 (open) is your next jump.

Very best,

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 21
Denon AH-D7000 for really nice controlled bass, very warm sounding headphone and expensive but i think you'll like.

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 21
Sennheisser HD 650<, Sony MDR-XB100, Denon D5000 (or 7000 if you are willing to spend more) are all solid choices (1000 won't perform as good as others in metal etc. but properly amped like with digiZoid ZO you'll get maybe the deepest and punchiest bass there is).

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 21
Please realize that, like speaker monitors, the more expensive headphones cost, the more neutral the headphones get. You will lose the aggressive sound (strong bass impact and upper midrange) of the HFI 580 as you move up. I didn't think the Ultrasone PRO 900s nor the Edition 8s were as fun sounding as the HFI 580. They may be better, but more enjoyable? That's really subjective.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 21
Denon d2000 would be the best closed headphone upgrade that's not too expensive. There is no equal at it's price range.

If you can spend more then the
Denon d5000 is probably the best closed headphone ever. It's even better than the d7000.

NOTHING IS BETTER for what you are looking for. You will not only upgrade but you will never need to upgrade ever again, unless your tastes change to a less bass, more mid centric, and more soundstagey type of headphone.

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
Please realize that, like speaker monitors, the more expensive headphones cost, the more neutral the headphones get.

If you directly move to expensive headphones, headphone virginity will be nearly 100% totally lost.
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 21
Welcome to head-fi ... sorry about your wallet.

For anyone suggesting the HD650, another vote here!

I went from HD515 to HD650 and was hooked instantly. A great headphone, well priced.

However:

Caution: You will need an amp, and probably a tube amp to get the best from the HD650. I spent a year without an amp and I am gobsmacked that I managed it.
Trust me. You need an amp.

The Little Dot MK IV SE is a popular choice. I went with a WA3, as I heard its relationship to the HD650 described as "legendary" and it was available to buy.

Caution 2: Prepare to have your wallet emptied buying tubes. Convince yourself the Mullards are over-hyped :wink:

Overall, the HD650 is somewhat of a staple around here ... and you can't really go wrong with it ... but it isn't the only cost!

I enjoy everything from Chopin and Satie through Venetian Snares, Mars Volta, Bar9, Motown stuff, metal ... all sound great.

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 21
Ah aural sex, I remember my first eargasm.

In answer to your question:

1. Would be a budget choice
Best budget phones I've heard are the JVC HA-RX700 for $33, Grado SR60i are also great budget phones at $80 but soley for rock genres. Ultrasone HFI-580 as mentioned are okay for the $130 price tag, very bass dominant so it might not be what you're looking for.

2. Would be a mid range intelligent choice
A mid range phone would require an amp and source to sound there best, with the jump from budget headphones you'd be looking $1,000 for the next bump in sound quality. Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD600, Sony SA5000 are all good sounding, neutral phones.

3. Would be no holds barred extreme end.
You can spend $1500 on a headphone alone and might not prefer it too the mid-range headphones which up until a few years ago were considered flagship. You might want to look towards orthos, specifically LCD-2 if you're looking for solid bass.

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Please realize that, like speaker monitors, the more expensive headphones cost, the more neutral the headphones get. You will lose the aggressive sound (strong bass impact and upper midrange) of the HFI 580 as you move up. I didn't think the Ultrasone PRO 900s nor the Edition 8s were as fun sounding as the HFI 580. They may be better, but more enjoyable? That's really subjective.

I completely agree with this post. The higher you go up, the less of that fun coloration you get. Thats why lower end Ultrasones are intolerable to me and the higher ones are some of the best headphones around due to that.

As for headphone suggestions, Denon D2000 and up are winners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back