I just received my RS1i today...
Mar 17, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #46 of 111
Quote:
So why did you even buy them?

Needed an opportunity to create a "I hate grado" thread?

How do you know he bought them? ... you don't need to buy a headphone to create a hate thread.

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #47 of 111
Well he took a chance that the RS1 would really wow him and it (predictably) didn't. We live and learn.

Lots of company's flagship models are grossly overpriced, and it wasn't that long ago that the $700 RS1 was the flagship.  But people bought them. So then Grado made a new flagship, a minor tweak of the same design and charged another $300 and people bought them. Then Grado made another new flagship, and yet another small tweak of the same design, and charged another $700.  And still people bought them.  I can't wait for the Grado (insert 2 random letters)1000 that is $2500 and has the same sound and design as the rest......but with a little sterling silver plated brass button on the grille.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #48 of 111
ok I think this thread has gone past ridiculous.  I'm not sure if this more wide spread than the RS-1i (since I don't keep up to date on this forum), but the SNR with regards to the RS-1i has really gone through the roof between comments by Katun and kite7.

Katun, you may feel that the design is cheap and the sound quality poor and you can express that to us as your opinion.  But you don't need to repeat it over and over again as if it is fact.

As I've mentioned before the cost to produce an RS-1i would among the highest in commonly available headphones and certainly higher than any headphone in your sig.  As to sound quality, this may be an area where you are just unable to appreciate subtleties. On the other hand you may have decided to take advantage of a lenient return policy to test out a high end headphone and convince yourself it's not worth it, leaving us to watch the psychological process unfold in this thread.

I think you're doing a real disservice to Headfiers, and obviously Grado, by making outlandish statements as if they are fact.  This last sentence applies likewise to kite7.  Kite7 you seem to equate treble to resolution ...I don't know what else to say really.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #49 of 111

Quote:
ok I think this thread has gone past ridiculous.  I'm not sure if this more wide spread than the RS-1i (since I don't keep up to date on this forum), but the SNR with regards to the RS-1i has really gone through the roof between comments by Katun and kite7.

Katun, you may feel that the design is cheap and the sound quality poor and you can express that to us as your opinion.  But you don't need to repeat it over and over again as if it is fact.

As I've mentioned before the cost to produce an RS-1i would among the highest in commonly available headphones and certainly higher than any headphone in your sig.  As to sound quality, this may be an area where you are just unable to appreciate subtleties. On the other hand you may have decided to take advantage of a lenient return policy to test out a high end headphone and convince yourself it's not worth it, leaving us to watch the psychological process unfold in this thread.

I think you're doing a real disservice to Headfiers, and obviously Grado, by making outlandish statements as if they are fact.  This last sentence applies likewise to kite7.  Kite7 you seem to equate treble to resolution ...I don't know what else to say really.

OMG that is the mantra of every butt-hurt fan boy I ever heard.  Anytime someone states a negative opinion about said fan boys "precious" its "stop stating things as if they are facts".
    Most people with two functioning brain cells to rub together understand that statements like this are opinions.

Here are two examples:

Head-fier A:  "that model has cups made of inexpensive plastic".

That is a fact.  Plastic is inexpensive by all standards.

Head-fier B:  "that model has cups that are made of inexpensive plastic and it's a ripoff to charge that much for them"

That is an opinion.

If someone thinks build quality is low, relative to an asking price, nobody of sound mind and judgment would take that as a fact.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #50 of 111
to each their own

the rs1i for me had better resolution and detail than the 325 - and noticably better than the 225 - it's a matter of preference but i prefer it to the HD800, and tesla beyers, which list for considerably more

the ATH i've never cared for - even the woodies

i think there's a couple of things going on here 

in general, the last 10% is much more expensive than the first 90%, whether grado, senn (hd 600 vs. 800), beyer (880 vs tesla), or ATH (900 vs. woodies)

that's also true for source and amp

the other thing is that the last 10% is not really noticable unless you're running a system in balance (eg a killer source compared to a low/mid fi source when using low/mid fi cans and amp will will be even less obvious than the typical diminishing returns)

running an rs1i with an ECSS and pico it's not massively different than the 325, stepping up a meier opera, it's more obvious, moving to a benchmark and modded bottlehead SEX, it's much more obvious - from a portable (even a cowon), it's very subtle at best

same thing with the Senn 650 & 800, Beyer 880 vs. Tesla, etc.

same thing with and amp and source - running a grado 225 and meier stepdance an hrt II+ isn't so different than the hrt pro, etc. - using the rs1i or hd 800 and a bottle head or GS-1, it's more obvious

all that said, the rs1i is a particular flavor, much more so than the 800 or tesla - on par with the 701 but in the opposite direction

and it's also a matter of priority - few hundred more bucks for the last 10% of a headphone, not worth it to some - same thing for computer performance, photography, motor-sports for others

and finally, not just opinions, but literally how individuals hear (not just sensitivity but via ear shape) is different 

so if your system, priorities and hearing have you happy with a rig - by all means stay there and count yourself lucky

if you're reading others' opinions and considering how they apply for yourself, consider the above

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #51 of 111
Don't forget that Grados are made in Brooklyn.  Where are ATs, Sennheisers, et al made?  My guess is that the majority are made in China.  I would wager that if Grado outsourced their production, their prices would fall more in line with other brands.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #52 of 111
Hey guys,

I think you should take it easy on Katun.  I personally love the RS1 and find them with the RA1 incredibly fun to listen to.  I sold that setup a few years ago and I'm kicking myself for it.  They definately need some burn-in time.  Try playing them over night for a few nights and that should help.  Also try flipping the bowl pads around(kinda mimics flats) and situating the headphones on your head so that they are a bit forward and down on your ear.  This should help the soundstage quite a bit, add bass and get rid of some of the shrill.  As for comfort, they do get quite a bit more comfortable when you get used to them.  

The thing I loved most about the grados were it's sweet mids and punchy bass and being able to hear the layers of music like no other headphone I've ever heard.   Give this a try, and if you still don't like them send them back.  I wouldn't give up so easily on this headphone.  Give it a chance to get used to its signature and it might grow on you quite a bit. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #53 of 111

Quote:
Don't forget that Grados are made in Brooklyn.  Where are ATs, Sennheisers, et al made?  My guess is that the majority are made in China.  I would wager that if Grado outsourced their production, their prices would fall more in line with other brands.

My HD580 was made in Ireland FYI.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #54 of 111
Quote:

Brooklyn means nothing. Many ATs are made in Japan. Also, I'm not sure about the other brands but I don't understand your logic about Chinese production. Cheaper production means what? Lower quality? Hardly since Grado has some of the lowest quality control I've seen and some of the cheapest materials. So the argument "Grados are made in Brooklyn" simply makes Brooklyn look incompetent.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #56 of 111

Quote:
Brooklyn means nothing. Many ATs are made in Japan. Also, I'm not sure about the other brands but I don't understand your logic about Chinese production. Cheaper production means what? Lower quality? Hardly since Grado has some of the lowest quality control I've seen and some of the cheapest materials. So the argument "Grados are made in Brooklyn" simply makes Brooklyn look incompetent.

All I'm saying is that Grados are made where labor costs are high.  Moving production overseas would result in lower prices.  Chill.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #57 of 111

Quote:
OMG that is the mantra of every butt-hurt fan boy I ever heard.  Anytime someone states a negative opinion about said fan boys "precious" its "stop stating things as if they are facts".
    Most people with two functioning brain cells to rub together understand that statements like this are opinions.

Maybe next time you can try to respond as an adult and also try to ease up a little on the condescension.  Regardless of what you feel the "mantra of every butt-hurt fan boy" is, an observation that turns out to be correct is not diminished by a straw man.  As it turns out I do have two functioning brain cells as well as a short term memory:

Quote:
the AD900 had more energy, was more engaging, and also more exciting that the Grado. On top of that, the highs were MUCH smoother, and the soundstage was much more spacious and wide. Obviously comfort and build are far superior as well, not to mention price. The only thing the RS1i had on the AD900 was bass, but pretty much any headphone beat the AD900 out in that...

Quote:
 I would still be weary to keep them due to their awful price/performance ratio.

I'm referring to comments like these being repeated many times over, but honestly I don't feel the need to make a case to you.  In fact given the way you communicate I'm surprised I ever bothered to respond.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #58 of 111
Quote:
All I'm saying is that Grados are made where labor costs are high.  Moving production overseas would result in lower prices.  Chill.

I realize I came off a bit harsh. I meant to say "for the price."  I assumed it was another made in China bashing comment so I apologize for the defensiveness. 

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #60 of 111
Ah yes. I needed a reminder as to why I'd stopped coming to Head-Fi. This thread has it all; the meltdowns, the impression that reading someone else's words is the same as hearing something, the lack of tact.

Please, anyone reading from here on out: take the previous as example and do differently. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back