I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Dec 15, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #2,761 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Installation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I know that the fx500s were decent for bass, but was really wondering about the x/s9 comparison in that department (I have read quite a few comparisons on here btw)
biggrin.gif

And hopefully I do manage to resist upgrade urges... after this one
biggrin.gif

Hey there, and welcome to HF btw. You're already heading down a great road with your choices.

I have the S9 and X, and I'm about to try to sell the S9. For me the sound is just that extra bit better with the X. It sounds like you are addicted to your bass, just like me, and the X clearly wins out on that front. With some EQing and enhancements applied on the S9, it can come quite close, but when you listen to everything flat on both players, you really hear the extra bass depth with the X over the Cowon. I've read about Cowon players having low bass roll off, but hadn't noticed it until I compared the X and S9 both flat, as well as when I introduced the ALO Rx into the mix. Running with the S9 it really rectifed the bass situation, and when I'd remove it I could hear the rolled off sound to the low end.

Edit- Oh, for some reason I thought your post count was lower, but I'll still leave the welcome to HF out there for you, because it wasn't long ago... heh.

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #2,762 of 3,761
Hey Chris, I love your new groovytar
happy_face1.gif

FF - wma vbr does sound nicer to me than AAC, but only because I had duplicate songs in both formats for a while and was able to test them side by side. Even without critical listening, the wma files sounded more spacious to my ears. But AAC sounded fine before I'd compared them
smile_phones.gif

And to anyone who has Windows 7 - isn't it great to have video converted without having to lift a single finger??? Well, okay, you have to use a finger to drag the file over, but other than that, it does it all on its own. I love it!

I don't even watch videos on the X, but I can't resist the drag 'n' drop 'n' convert thingy!

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #2,763 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
happy_face1.gif

Thanks, Racer X would be the ultimate X owner methinks....
biggrin.gif

Edit- Racer X is now gone. ;0)

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #2,764 of 3,761
cn11:
After comparing both the S9 and the X, I agree w/ you. Except that I never did enjoy what was coming out of the S9.
biggrin.gif
It just sounded harsh and unnatural to me. Once I flipped on the X, my body went horizontal and I wasn't messing w/ any settings or anything. So my recipe for relaXin' would be:

1. Put X on flat.
2. Lie down flat.
3. Flat out enjoy your music!

Dec 15, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #2,765 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there, and welcome to HF btw. You're already heading down a great road with your choices.

I have the S9 and X, and I'm about to try to sell the S9. For me the sound is just that extra bit better with the X. It sounds like you are addicted to your bass, just like me, and the X clearly wins out on that front. With some EQing and enhancements applied on the S9, it can come quite close, but when you listen to everything flat on both players, you really hear the extra bass depth with the X over the Cowon. I've read about Cowon players having low bass roll off, but hadn't noticed it until I compared the X and S9 both flat, as well as when I introduced the ALO Rx into the mix. Running with the S9 it really rectifed the bass situation, and when I'd remove it I could hear the rolled off sound to the low end.

Edit- Oh, for some reason I thought your post count was lower, but I'll still leave the welcome to HF out there for you, because it wasn't long ago... heh.

Thanks, at least I now know what my next purchase will end up being
biggrin.gif
, now to raise the £. It also seems weird that the sony is better value for me at the moment, something I never thought I'd be typing.

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #2,766 of 3,761
The Sony is great value at the moment in the UK, and I can't complain about the SQ - it really is stunning.

My two main complaints are the slow transfer speed (2Mb/second - come on Sony, there's absolutely no excuse for this apart from you being lazy, this isn't 1999) and no gapless playback, which is horrid on mixed electronic CDs. The gapless thread about the S9 just rubs salt into the wound...

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #2,767 of 3,761
hrsy-
Yeah, those definitely are two knocks against it. Thankfully you only have to endure the slow multi-hour transfer once or twice. Then it's an album or two at at time, which isn't too terribly bad. I've never really cared about true gapless, so that's a bit of a non-issue for me personally. But all is forgiven once the thing gets going and you're enjoying the lush sound it presents! I also enjoy the touch screen for the simple fact of how quickly it enables you to get around your music collection. Then there's the build quality... it feels like a slab of granite. I guess I'm saying for me the pros handily outweigh the cons!

Hope you enjoy yours. Sounds like it's a great time to buy one in the UK.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #2,768 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hrsy-
Yeah, those definitely are two knocks against it. Thankfully you only have to endure the slow multi-hour transfer once or twice. Then it's an album or two at at time, which isn't too terribly bad. I've never really cared about true gapless, so that's a bit of a non-issue for me personally. But all is forgiven once the thing gets going and you're enjoying the lush sound it presents! I also enjoy the touch screen for the simple fact of how quickly it enables you to get around your music collection. Then there's the build quality... it feels like a slab of granite. I guess I'm saying for me the pros handily outweigh the cons!

Hope you enjoy yours. Sounds like it's a great time to buy one in the UK.

Hopefully student finance hurry up and give me my money soon then
angry_face.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #2,769 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by hrsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*snip*

What an awesome opportunity for Sony to fix w/ their next Walkmans. Get rid of the overly expensive noise cancelling circuitry + headphones too. Even better, ship a version wo/ headphones altogether. Call it the head-fi version and slap on the logo too!

beerchug.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #2,770 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What an awesome opportunity for Sony to fix w/ their next Walkmans. Get rid of the overly expensive noise cancelling circuitry + headphones too. Even better, ship a version wo/ headphones altogether. Call it the head-fi version and slap on the logo too!

beerchug.gif

Gotta say I really enjoyed the noise cancelling on my flights this past week. Made the flight much more relaxing.

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #2,772 of 3,761
I've read most of this thread and found it very entertaining. I got in on the $99 Triple.fi 10's from Amazon last week and am looking for a good mp3 player to pair up with them.

I can get a NWZ-S545 for $37 or I can get a NWZ-X1051 for $180 from the Sony reward program. Just as a curiosity from those that have experienced the S and X series, which one would you choose?

I don't mind spending extra money for a noticeable improvement on sound quality. I can live without the wi-fi and other features since I have an HTC Touch Pro 2.

I'm just trying to justify the extra cost
smile.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #2,773 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
happy_face1.gif

FF - wma vbr does sound nicer to me than AAC, but only because I had duplicate songs in both formats for a while and was able to test them side by side. Even without critical listening, the wma files sounded more spacious to my ears. But AAC sounded fine before I'd compared them
smile_phones.gif

And to anyone who has Windows 7 - isn't it great to have video converted without having to lift a single finger??? Well, okay, you have to use a finger to drag the file over, but other than that, it does it all on its own. I love it!

I don't even watch videos on the X, but I can't resist the drag 'n' drop 'n' convert thingy!

You hit the nail on the head there, aac sounds fine to listen to until you hear the difference vs wma.

I was listening to wma files last night on my K702's on my amp then in bed with my SE530's through the X hp out and got a buzz from both setup's.

Just got to transfer approx 15gb that is already on there into wma format: (

Windows 7; wish i had it, almost had the crazy x-mas urge to treat myself to a new HP touchscreen laptop but have now got my heart on getting the JH13pros, save, save, save!
Will have to make do with crappy Vista for now on my current HP laptop.

So W7 is intelligent and converts video just by drag & drop to the X!
That was my idea! (not)

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #2,774 of 3,761
if my music is in 320 mp3, would converting to WMA vbr make it better?
i know that there will be a loss but just wondering if the instrument sep. and etc. would improve then

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #2,775 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingStars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if my music is in 320 mp3, would converting to WMA vbr make it better?
i know that there will be a loss but just wondering if the instrument sep. and etc. would improve then

no point going from lossy -> lossy, but you can always try
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back