I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Dec 14, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #2,733 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard both the X1050 and the S638 head to head, but your post strikes me as a little selfish and lazy so I'm going to make you wonder.

The 16GB I used drove me mad because it took 18 years to put stuff on there. It's worse than my worst USB key...by FAR. For the price paid, it should be hitting 30MB/Sec.

Heya, sorry about this, but is there any chance you could answer the q about the x1050/s638? This thread is pretty huge, I'd appreciate it if you could just give a quick explanation of the differences.

Thanks

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #2,734 of 3,761
It's been quite awhile, so I don't think I can be too detailed. For me a lot it comes down to the "head nod" or "foot tap" factor. The S638 just didn't provide the sort of immersion I got from the X. I could disappear into a song listening on the X, whereas the S638 had me fuddling w/ songs. It just came across smoother, livelier, and more detailed. The S638 and my S616 seem to "hold back" details of a song. Nowhere was this more clear than when listening to a complex Violin passage on the Angels and Demon's OST. Then there was a particular track on Akon's recent album had a more refined low end.

After hearing my S616, the S638, a Zune HD, a Cowon S9, and an iPod touch, there's no other device I'll even consider anymore. The X or bust.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #2,735 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been quite awhile, so I don't think I can be too detailed. For me a lot it comes down to the "head nod" or "foot tap" factor. The S638 just didn't provide the sort of immersion I got from the X. I could disappear into a song listening on the X, whereas the S638 had me fuddling w/ songs. It just came across smoother, livelier, and more detailed. The S638 and my S616 seem to "hold back" details of a song. Nowhere was this more clear than when listening to a complex Violin passage on the Angels and Demon's OST. Then there was a particular track on Akon's recent album had a more refined low end.

After hearing my S616, the S638, a Zune HD, a Cowon S9, and an iPod touch, there's no other device I'll even consider anymore. The X or bust.

Wow :O. Ultimately though, I think I'll look at upgrading my IEMs etc instead of going after the latest shiny :p, after that I can justify getting an s9/X.
Thanks

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #2,736 of 3,761
Ok, edit button doesn't seem to be working. I've heard the new s-series basically = the x in terms of sound though, that'll make the next purchase cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #2,737 of 3,761
The Japan only version you mean?
frown.gif
There's a thread for that too. A guy compared both and gave the edge very slightly to the X IIRC.

I actually did the same thing. Well, I started w/ the RE0's and the vocals were very smooth. Smoother on some vocals than my HD580's. But the lack of soundstage, low end, and being unable to get a good fit (large, heavy, wide housing) put them back on the bus to headdirect. Then I'd been dead set on the IE8's, but the $100 AR Triple.Fi deal came along and boom, I'm good.
biggrin.gif

Once the 16GB X drops to $200, I'll bite.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #2,738 of 3,761
Japan only? Bah. Yeah, once I get some more expensive (or better :p) earphones I feel as if I can justify getting either the x (£200 for 32gb over here) or the s9 (£229 for 32gb).

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #2,739 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Installation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Japan only? Bah. Yeah, once I get some more expensive (or better :p) earphones I feel as if I can justify getting either the x (£200 for 32gb over here) or the s9 (£229 for 32gb).

Not to sure if Amazon are still doing their £50 cashback which woul make it £150 for the X1060?

Also noticed the Senn IE8's are on Amazon @ £152, which is a steal for these iem's.

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #2,741 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to sure if Amazon are still doing their £50 cashback which woul make it £150 for the X1060?

Also noticed the Senn IE8's are on Amazon @ £152, which is a steal for these iem's.

Not bad, however right now the only upgrade I can really afford is some tiny amp like the e5 :p, when I do properly run out of space (getting close) I'll get the x/s9 + ie8s. Shame about the video on the x though.

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #2,742 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrinceOfEgypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the better file format to use for the best sound quality possible: WMA Vbr, MP3 Vbr, AAC, or MP3 320 fixed?

Many thanks...

Hi POE,

I absolutly stay away from mp3 files myself and reminded myself of that when i downloaded a couple of singles in 320 mp3 the other week.

I tried AAC vbr and find it is the next best thing next to listening to it in my preferred WAV lossless from a SQ pov and the sound in AAC vbr is a realistic tonal quality that does not sound stuffy or fatiguing like i find with mp3 files and the seperation of instruments is handled well.

Then Soozieq sent me a couple of test tracks in wma vbr which is like aac but to me is more elaborate on the soundstaging which is wider than aac and i find it a tad more vibrant listening to wma compared to aac.

So i am now in the mist of re-transferring 15gig of music to wma as i prefer that as opposed to aac which is still good.

I still find i sometimes even do some wav transfers for my most favourite tracks that are exeptionally well recorded material.

Best thing to do is to rip some of your best recorded favourite material you know very intimatilly in the different respective codecs and compare them on the walkman to see which you prefer as after all it will be down to what your ears tell you (personal preference).

I peronally wish there was an X player that had at least 120gb flash memory and that WAV files had those bloody container things to store album art!
In a perfect world, maybe my next life eh?

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #2,743 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Installation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not bad, however right now the only upgrade I can really afford is some tiny amp like the e5 :p, when I do properly run out of space (getting close) I'll get the x/s9 + ie8s. Shame about the video on the x though.

I don't personally use my X as a video player as this is solely a terrific music player with a great amp and SQ reproduction. Not one machine out there can claim to tick all the boxes at the moment unfortunetly, want good video on bigger screen then the Touch, but it's sound Q is not near the X.

As for the S9, if you don't mind living by eq setting's by what i have heard around these part's which is like my old D2 in that repsect then you might be alright with it.

Hope Santa leaves you a X with IE8's under the tree for X-mas after he has delivered my JH13's!!
icon10.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #2,744 of 3,761
Yeah, the X's screen might be a bit small for watching videos, but, it is enough for me, when I am getting bored or just want watch movies/anime on the bed before going to sleep.
smily_headphones1.gif
Lately, converted Transformer-2 HD, 432x240 (cropped, fullscreen), and with it's powerful sound,... what else that can I say ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #2,745 of 3,761
There's probably (hopefully) a program that just converts most video to x-series size/formats that I could find I guess. It wouldn't principally be a video player, just for when I'm bored on the train etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back