I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
May 17, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #241 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Duncan
Is't that FX500? It look like FX500 O_O

Toughnut... It is more than likely that these are the FX500s, although there is no concrete proof either way - but, irrespective of whether they are re-badged FX500s, or new FX1000s, they really are damned nice
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can this player support Google's Gears?

Sorry ilney, I cannot say as I haven't fired up the wireless side of this, as I'm so hooked on the music side... however, those who have tried it say that the browser is rudimentary at best, so - depending on what 'gears' actually are (I'm guessing they're like 'widgets'??), I would say probably not... Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your impressions, Duncan. You mentioned the 'richer midrange' on the X1000; any insights on how they pair with a midrange-rich IEM such as the E500/SE530? What's the synergy and how much juice is there with the SA5000s and DT880s? Seems like we have similar phone tastes.
regular_smile .gif

techfreakazoid...

I have tried the SE500 and the SA5000 (I don't have the DT880s here at the moment) and - the Shures sound very nice, and their rich midrange is NOT made syrupy by this player, infact only the Shures well reported lack of treble stop these from returning back to being a main listen for me (well, that alone with the cracked sheath on the cable...) - After trying them, it also allows me to answer authoritively the hiss question - with high sensnitivity IEMs, yes - there is a little hiss evident when the player is just sat there, but - it really is barely audible in comparison to some other players out there, no problems at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Re the SA5000, you get the inevitable lack of drive / volume compared to IEMs, but - if you were desperate, they are listenable, without the normal bass deficiency you can have with other players... - although, I would certainly prefer to use a full sized rig for driving them...

May 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #242 of 3,761
I've got a couple of questions for the owners of one of these beauties if someone doesn't mind?
smily_headphones1.gif

1. How does it compare to the Touch 2G? -Which would you rather own out of the two? *

2. What's the EQ like? I know the one on my A818 is pretty good

* - I guess this question is only applicable if you've currently got both or used both. I know Soozie will have
wink.gif

May 17, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #243 of 3,761
Mors...

I have the iPhone 3G - Although I don't know how close that is to the Touch 2G??

Re EQ (vs A818) - I have had no need to EQ anything as yet - do you have any particular genre / artist / track in mind?

May 17, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #244 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. What's the EQ like? I know the one on my A818 is pretty good

2: EQ is like the one on the A818. Five bands along the same frequencies along seven bars, plus 4 levels of Clear Bass. They work well with no distortion. I leave mine on flat as I love the sound as is with my IE 8. Clear Bass increases the bass impact substantially. Pretty much like the A818 and their other flash based players.

May 17, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #245 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mors...

I have the iPhone 3G - Although I don't know how close that is to the Touch 2G??

Re EQ (vs A818) - I have had no need to EQ anything as yet - do you have any particular genre / artist / track in mind?

Hi Duncan, I compared the Iphone3G to the Touch2G and although similar, the Touch does definatly sound better, and flat, has an impeccible frequency response. Does your Sony sound better than your iPhone to you? My A818 sounded better than my iPhone for sure.

Re the EQ, I usually leave it flat but bump the bass 1 notch or two. Was ondering if it was similar sort of setup to the A8xx series, sounds to be. I found if I did any EQ apart from the bass bump then the frequency response and sound ended up all over the place. Including a massive bass rolloff.

May 17, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #246 of 3,761
Thanks Walkingman, I guessed it would be a pretty similar setup on the EQ front
smily_headphones1.gif
Sounds like it works again though
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #250 of 3,761
Duncan, could you tell me if there are any concrete differences between the fx500 and fx1000?
fx500 can be found around 115gbp abroad whereas the ie8 is something like 199 here. If I understood well both are equivalent, and you even rate the fx1000 better than the ie8.
So my question is, you you recommend the fx500s?
thanks

May 17, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #251 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by mosso2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duncan, could you tell me if there are any concrete differences between the fx500 and fx1000?
fx500 can be found around 115gbp abroad whereas the ie8 is something like 199 here. If I understood well both are equivalent, and you even rate the fx1000 better than the ie8.
So my question is, you you recommend the fx500s?
thanks

please, only x1000 related questions or impressions
wink.gif

anyway ... any impressions with an amp?
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 17, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #253 of 3,761
mosso2000...

Just to tie up the one loose end here, yes - it is almost certain that the FX500 are the same product as the FX1000 - in that scenario, matched with the X1000, they are a steal at the price the FX500 are available for online
smily_headphones1.gif

eroarex... sorry, nope - not from me, as mentioned earlier in the thread, i feel that adding an amp will degrade the sound, and - if nothing else, i'm more than happy without one
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #254 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry ilney, I cannot say as I haven't fired up the wireless side of this, as I'm so hooked on the music side... however, those who have tried it say that the browser is rudimentary at best, so - depending on what 'gears' actually are (I'm guessing they're like 'widgets'??), I would say probably not...

No... Google's Gears is an appl. that allows the thing to surf a website offline. I really want to have it to learn Japanese.

May 17, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #255 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No... Google's Gears is an appl. that allows the thing to surf a website offline. I really want to have it to learn Japanese.

Netfront definitely won't support Google Gears.

What browsers and operating systems are supported by Gears?

Gears works on the following browsers:

* Apple Mac OS X (10.4 or higher, G4, G5 or Intel Processor)
o Firefox 1.5 or higher
o Safari 3.1.1 or higher (requires OS X Tiger 10.4.11+ or Leopard 10.5.3+, G4, G5 or Intel Processor)
* Linux (Requirements)
o Firefox 1.5 or higher
* Microsoft Windows (XP or higher)
o Firefox 1.5 or higher
o Internet Explorer 6 or higher
o Google Chrome
* Microsoft Windows Mobile (5 or higher)
o Internet Explorer 4.01 or higher
o Opera Mobile 9.51 (Presto build 2.1.0+) (Windows Mobile 6 touchscreen devices only)
o The following devices are not supported
+ Samsung i320 and i320N
+ Orange SPV C600
+ Motorola Q
* Android 1.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back