I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
May 16, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #226 of 3,761
mosso2000...

Probably the easiest way, depending on where you are, is to go to a head-fi meet somewhere - The IE8 are so popular (with good reason) that you'd be almost guaranteed to have at least one head-fier at a meet that owns a pair
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duncan, walkingman - did you find the sleeping bag yet?? I can't find mine.
I think John Lewis took it out and kept it for themselves because it was so cute
mad.gif

I didn't know there was supposed to be a bag...

Hmm... No, just re-examined the contents of my box, definitely nothing here... Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duncan-
Thanks for posting the image. That's a sweet portable rig, has to be one of the slickest in the whole community right now. The fingerprints don't look THAT bad... and the flash has illuminated the 'dandruff'. Ha ha ha....

Thanks for the compliment cn11
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm definitely bowled over by the SQ of this mini-rig... no more need for an amp... yay!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #227 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm definitely bowled over by the SQ of this mini-rig... no more need for an amp... yay!
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, that good? Perhaps I can recover most of the cost of the X1000 by selling my Mustang. But I'm not going to do that too quickly. I will take my time deciding that one.

May 16, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #228 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that good? Perhaps I can recover most of the cost of the X1000 by selling my Mustang. But I'm not going to do that too quickly. I will take my time deciding that one.

If anything, I suppose - an amp would down-grade the sound (instead of Class B to Class B, you would be going from Class T to Class B, so arguably losing qualty)...

...I haven't tried my amp with the X1000, but - yes - with the sound as good as it is, I have no desire to
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #230 of 3,761
Quote:

I didn't know there was supposed to be a bag...

Hmm... No, just re-examined the contents of my box, definitely nothing here...

What?! No bag? What a con. I only wanted it for the sleeping bag. What's it supposed to sleep in now? So now I have no bag, and an inferior serial number. This sucks
ksc75smile.gif

Here's the bag! Oh, on second thoughts, is it supposed to be a cleaning cloth? If it is, I didn't get that either!

sony1-1.jpg

May 16, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #231 of 3,761
Duncan-
Very cool to hear. I am so looking forward to trying my newly acquired Ultrasone HFI-780's out of the X1000 too, because they are such a whole new sonic landscape beyond the IE8's and they already sound awesome straight out of the NWZ-A829. To think that you can get the best of a pretty decent sized headphone right from this new Sony... good stuff.

May 16, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #232 of 3,761
Quote:

So you picked one up also j_diddy?
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to say, the more I listen to this, the more I think it goes beyond an MP3 player, and more into the realms of literal hi-fi, such is the clarity of its output
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes sadly. The serial details at the back says I'm number 473 already. Could you believe that?

May 16, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #234 of 3,761
j_diddy...

Congrats
smily_headphones1.gif
(hey, you're still in the first 500!!)

Any early impressions from you?
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #236 of 3,761
Hiss report - well within acceptable parameters, with what can be a really inky blackness...

My Zune and iPod are defnitely hissier
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #237 of 3,761
Quote:

j_diddy...

Congrats
smily_headphones1.gif
(hey, you're still in the first 500!!)

Any early impressions from you?
biggrin.gif

Well, my day job pays me to do this, so my apologies if this appears too blunt. But here's what I think:

I don't like the:

1. Limited playlist functionality. - The current firmware doesn't appear to have a feature in letting users create dynamic playlists thru the player. You would need to use a software in creating playlists which I think is silly.

2. Missing slide-show feature.

3. Missing gapless support

4. Missing bluetooth functionality

5. Lack of any useful applications - it doesn't have the app store that the Touch has nor the flash support that the korean PMPs have.

I do like the:

1. Look & Feel - This is a sex-machine. Beyond what I expected frankly. The pictures don't do this little wonder any justice.

2. Responsiveness - It seems better than the S9 and almost at par with the Apples.

3. Picture Quality - The screen on this thing appears to be one of the best out there. The best on any portable device I've seen if I may add. And for some reason the screen on this Sony impressed me more than what the S9 had.

4. Sound-Quality - I haven't had the chance to listen to the S9 so I would hold off making a judgment here.

But
I was technically hell-bent on buying the S9. But I somehow don't regret that I bought this Sony. There's something in it that evens out all its apparent flaws
wink_face.gif

May 17, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #238 of 3,761
@j_diddy
Previous NWZ model also doesnt have dynamic playlist function. From the manual, it seem the Japanese model doesnt have it too. Gapless support is a known issue but can be fixed with WAV PCM file. With 32GB, u can afford some WAV files on it haha.

Bout the slide show, this is OMG... i looked at the manual, there's no option for slideshow. Sony, are u serious??

For bluetooth support, it will negate the NC function of the player. So maybe Sony will launched another unit with no NC but with Bluetooth?

@Duncan
Is't that FX500? It look like FX500 O_O

May 17, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #240 of 3,761
Quote:

A very brief opinion for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Tonally, the Sony has a richer midrange, which makes vocals sound more lush, bass is tighter, crisper, and that same darkness between the notes is still apparent on the X1000 in comparison to the Zune...

Other good traits, listening to Sia's Lady Croissant album, the live recordings have a bigger air on the Sony, where it is much easier to hear the people from the crowd on the intros to the songs...

Those differences, whilst there, are not deal breakers, I could happily live with either / or of the players up to that point... for me, what seperates the men from the boys - with no EQ / settings on either player, the highs are much more precise on the Sony, cymbals sound much less splashy, and more in control than they do on the Zune - and I love the Zune dearly, so that is another thing that I have said on these forums in the past couple of weaks - almost against seemingly against my better judgement!!

Well, this has made one thing very clear for me... There is absolutely nowhere in my collection for my Cowon D2... That will be going on ebay, or in the FS forum here - very soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, one negative thing for me... the X1000 is a total fingerprint magnet, far more than my iPhone or Xperia... This is going to be a bit of a nightmare to keep clean I feel
frown.gif

Thanks for your impressions, Duncan. You mentioned the 'richer midrange' on the X1000; any insights on how they pair with a midrange-rich IEM such as the E500/SE530? What's the synergy and how much juice is there with the SA5000s and DT880s? Seems like we have similar phone tastes.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back