I have around $400 to spend, and I want some AWESOME IEMs
Dec 6, 2010 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Connormgs

New Head-Fier
My mom said I can spend around $400 or so on some good IEMS, custom or universal. I listen to breakcore, electronica, idm, gabber, hardcore, trance, psy-trance, house, electro house, tech house, drum and bass, ambient, chiptunes, j-core, and minimal. I've been recommended the Etymotic ER4P, the Shure SE530, or the UE Triple-Fi. Any recommendations?

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 24
BRAINWAVZ m2

Cheap(<100$) , good and you will have sth to llok fwd to

how old are you , what sound do you want ?

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 24
It seems like you want some strong bass for the types of music you are listening to. Since that is the case, I would not go for the ER-4P. The Triple.Fi is good, but there is better (esp. for $400). If you want a Shure IEM, check out the SE535.

IEMs I would recommend you check out:

Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE535
Westone 3
Westone UM3X
Earsonics SM3
Radius DDM
Monster Turbine Pro Copper

This thread is a great starting point:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476315/top-tier-universal-iem-comparison-chart-frequency-response-charts-discussion

With $400, I would not go for customs. Ear impressions, shipping, and other factors could easily eat up $100+ of your budget. You can always get your universals custom tips or a custom reshell later.

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 24
I own the Etymotic 4p's, they never get used since I got the Shure SE530's, which I use daily. I now also have Shure SE 535's which sound better to me than the 530's by a fair margin. I think the 530's are a tad more comfy than the 535's, but I may not be used to the 535's yet. (I have had them a week). Tomorrow my TripleFi 10's arrive. Hmmmm. I think I want the Westone 3's as well. Hmmmm.

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 24
hey guys

if the guy is 16 years old , there's no point buying customs

(the line 'my mother gave me money' may point to him being quite young)

also , if these are his first real,good IEM's shouldn't he first see the sound signature he prefers ?

otherwise , whatever he buys may end in the FS backyard

and dude , do some reading/studying here yourself

noone but you really knows what iem fits you best.

Dec 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 24
Sir, I am 17 years old lol. I use Klipsch Image S4s right now and I have been researching, I just wanted some recommendations, please chill out for me wanting more suggestions.

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
Sir, I am 17 years old lol. I use Klipsch Image S4s right now and I have been researching, I just wanted some recommendations, please chill out for me wanting more suggestions.

Actually he has a point (albeit a point presented in an abrupt fashion), you shouldn't go for customs until you are older. You would need remolds too often.

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
Quote:

Actually he has a point (albeit a point presented in an abrupt fashion), you shouldn't go for customs until you are older. You would need remolds too often.

I'll get some universals again, thanks for letting me know.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 24
Sounds like you listen to bass-heavy music. In that case, the ER-4P will be too bright and analytical. I'd recommend the Shure SE535 (it's one of the best universal IEMs available, though it's expensive. The SE425 isn't a bad second choice). It's more comfortable than the UE Triple.fi 10, and most people seem to prefer its sound.

I wish my mom would give me $400 to spend on IEMs... 
etysmile.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 24
It's not easy to get your first high end universal purchase right the first time.  You have a good enough budget to shop around in the FS forum and try different high ends that you think you might like and reselling those you don't like.  The TF10s might be good for your genres, but aren't worth the retail price.  $190 maximum.  You might like W3's also.  With $400 to spend you may want to think about upgrading your source or adding an amp to make good IEMs great.  Also try to keep in mind whether you like a warm or bright sound.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 24
The W3's might be a nice fit.  Buy 'em used.  They will sell for what you paid, if you don't like them, most likely.  I also liked the Shure SE530's, haven't tried the 535's but I'd like to!  I really wanted to like the triple-fi 10's, but they are just brutally uncomfortable for me.  I don't think I'm the only one.  Also, Amazon does a one day sale the last couple of years that make the value pretty screwy.  For the music you list, the Ety's don't seem a good fit.  I'm listening to some Fischer DBA02's right now.  For under $200, they are pretty nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back