I am a new guy, and I need some basic help.
Aug 18, 2012 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

aLocalGuy

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone!  I have some general questions about headphones, because I don't know much about the audio side of computers and technology.

First of all, I want a full-size pair of headphones that will suffice for gaming and music mainly, but something that could work for movies and web-surfing as well.  I really don't want to spend more than $100, so I understand if I can't get the "top of the line" product of 2012.  I have actually been recommended the Samson SR850.

I also want to know if my on-board sound from my motherboard will be good enough to get decent use out of something like the SR850 headphones.  I have the Asus M5A97 motherboard, if that even matters.  The Asus website says that the chipset is: "Realtek® ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio".  It also supports 7.1 surround sound, but I am sure that doesn't mean that the sound will be decent quality.

I am experienced with computers, so installing a new sound card would be a breeze, but I would rather not do that if possible.  If there are any recommended headphones that sound okay with onboard sound, then please mention those as well.

Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 12
a favourite of mine (and many others) for serious gaming and music, is the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 - around $100 on amazon. they're a great introduction to "head-fi". if you want something slightly bassier, the A700 can be had for around the same price and isolate sound as well. not quite the same but I do like those too.

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 12
Save a little more and get the Ultrasones HFI 580 / 780 ...

Else:

M50

Phillips Uptowns

Cheerz!

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 12
The sr850 was one of my first hp's. It was okay. Not the best to start with IMO. I'd go with the panasonic htf600. Less money and the fun factor is way up there!! 

gL!!

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 12
I just came across the Sennheiser HD 280.  Do I need an amp or soundcard for that?  They have awesome reviews, are closed backed, and they seem perfect for me.  I just don't want headphones that won't work because of my onboard sound.

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
I just came across the Sennheiser HD 280.  Do I need an amp or soundcard for that?  They have awesome reviews, are closed backed, and they seem perfect for me.  I just don't want headphones that won't work because of my onboard sound.

Those Sennheisers are a pretty old model. They're not bad, but there are cheaper better options now. The Panasonic is a really cheap headphone that's pretty decent.

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
I just came across the Sennheiser HD 280.  Do I need an amp or soundcard for that?  They have awesome reviews, are closed backed, and they seem perfect for me.
 I just don't want headphones that won't work because of my on-board sound.

A lot of headphone in the 32-Ohm to 80-Ohm range will work with on-board sound.
The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card is only $16 after $10 mail in rebate.
Comes with a very basic half-way decent headphone amplifier.
Should come with a better DAC then your motherboard's built in DAC.
Dolby Headphone 5.1 surround sound.

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 12
From doing more research, it seems that the HTF600 doesn't have that great of isolation.  For the price, it's hard to complain about that.  However, can anyone recommend something similar that might have slightly better isolation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back