Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 23, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #12,736 of 18,895
I had my TT2 switched on all the time 27/7. Now I have my Dave, Mscaler and Qutest switched on 24/7.
I'm curious about why you do this as well. Is it for convenience or is it because of warm up time? I had been leaving my Hugo2 on for a while and noticed that it was getting pretty warm.

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #12,737 of 18,895
Feb 23, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #12,738 of 18,895
Why? Do you do this with all of your gear, or it's something specific to Chord units?

Thermal cycling, constantly allowing solid state components to cool, then heat, wears them. Plus, the issue of the stuff sounding a bit better after 10 minutes of warm up. If you use it daily, probably best to just leave it on and only power off if you know you won't use it tomorrow. That's what I do at least.

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #12,739 of 18,895
I have an AK SP2000 and, given that portability is no longer all that important to me (with COVID) I've been thinking about selling it and upgrading to a TT2. I haven't actually had a chance to listen to the TT2 though (I've heard the DAVE, which has blown me away).

Just curious as to whether someone's listened to both, and can speak to the level of improvement from the SP2000 to the TT2? Just with regards to the DAC aspect. My headphones the KSE1500 and Stellia, so I wouldn't think the better amp on the TT2 would make much of a difference.

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #12,740 of 18,895
I am sure after owning the M Scaler for a while, you guys just leave it on the Max setting. But in the first few days of ownership, I have been playing with the OP SR button and I am wondering where you guys think the largest improvement occurs? I notice a huge difference moving from Pass Through RED to 176 BLUE and a more subtle difference when jumping from BLUE to Max WHITE. I find the 176 to have ever so slightly more low end, but the 705 to have a less fatiguing sound. Both sound amazing, but I am wondering where you guys think most of the benefits occur? Having a lot of fun with HMS so far!

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #12,741 of 18,895
I also want to know why? For what reason??
It sounds like people are doing it for capacitor health. damn, do I now have to research best practices for capacitor health? Do I need to keep them 80% charged for longevity??? :cry:

The supercaps are probably the easiest thing to replace on the TT2 board, if it ever comes to that. Even if it is 20 years from now and I'm still rocking the TT2 and Chord decides to pack it in, I think I could manage it myself. I don't think I'm going to worry about it unless it will REALLY shorten the lifespan. I wonder if Mr Watts runs 24/7 purely out of convenience. Longevity may not be top of mind for him since he'll have an endless stream of amazing DACs he built himself in his life 4ever. I like taking my TT2 around the house with me, so this is pretty much a non-starter. I am using a battery pack when away from my desk purely for convenience. If anyone has a link to his recommendation, I'd appreciate it. This thread, man...

Has anyone purchased spare power supplies to make it easier to have a few listening locations? Maybe the best thing to do is just have a few AC cables in key locations and detach that side of the brick so you only take the TT2 + brick but leave the AC cable (sometimes reaching the power outlet is too much of a pain).

I set up an old airport express next to the bed so I can airplay to my Hugo TT2. It is pretty sweet being wire free from the phone and I got the added bonus of being able to listen to TV (I'm 100% Apple TV for viewing). Haven't really decided on sound quality of this, but it has the benefit of not glitching out as much, if I switch apps on the phone. This reminded me how much I hate the bluetooth implementation on the TT2 (and all chord dacs/streamers). Why do that 0000 thing? The only devices that support it (computers and phones) are the last devices I would use bluetooth on. For me it would only exist for convenience factor like watching TV but neither the AppleTV nor the Bluesound bar I have allow you to input the code. Does having the code reduce noise via a less complex device or something? What gives?

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #12,742 of 18,895
The supercaps are probably the easiest thing to replace on the TT2 board, if it ever comes to that. Even if it is 20 years from now and I'm still rocking the TT2 and Chord decides to pack it in, I think I could manage it myself. I don't think I'm going to worry about it unless it will REALLY shorten the lifespan. I wonder if Mr Watts runs 24/7 purely out of convenience

He has said it because of thermal fluctuations issue although I'm sure convenience plays a part as well. He has also said the super-capacitors after like 20 years would only be worn down to like 80% but frankly, IMO, we probably all would have upgraded to something different in that time.

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #12,743 of 18,895
P.S. right now I'm debating if a new listening chair or a new pair of monitors will be the next upgrade for my TT2 enjoyment. I'm working with Bluejeans to get a nice RCA -> Banana set for hooking up speakers. I really like the headphones I have and have a new pair on the way (Aeon 2 Noire). :)

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #12,744 of 18,895
I am sure after owning the M Scaler for a while, you guys just leave it on the Max setting. But in the first few days of ownership, I have been playing with the OP SR button and I am wondering where you guys think the largest improvement occurs? I notice a huge difference moving from Pass Through RED to 176 BLUE and a more subtle difference when jumping from BLUE to Max WHITE. I find the 176 to have ever so slightly more low end, but the 705 to have a less fatiguing sound. Both sound amazing, but I am wondering where you guys think most of the benefits occur? Having a lot of fun with HMS so far!

There's no reason not to leave the M Scaler on max upscaling. BTW, there's an M Scaler thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-m-scaler-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.885042/

This is the TT2 thread.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #12,745 of 18,895
He has said it because of thermal fluctuations issue although I'm sure convenience plays a part as well. He has also said the super-capacitors after like 20 years would only be worn down to like 80% but frankly, IMO, we probably all would have upgraded to something different in that time.
For the worry about lifespan of supercap, you are right that we should upgrade other gear in much less time than it’s lifespan for sure! :wink:
I will keep my TT2 switched on 24/7 then. Mr. watt sure don’t worry about it because all the new dac is in his hand!!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #12,746 of 18,895
As another who keeps their gear on 24/7, it never even crossed my mind to turn it off. Now after some thought, I'm not sure why I leave my TT2 on but the ONLY way I turn it off now is using the power cycle button on the remote. Since there is no power button on the device, this appears to be the designed method to power cycle the TT2.

Addendum - user error as there is a power cycle button that I hadn't noticed in two months of ownership. I guess when I don't look at the device beyond the color sphere I miss out.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #12,749 of 18,895
Feb 23, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #12,750 of 18,895

I am lost too, over the super-caps thing. I think like you though, that they would be replaceable by the user with some care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back