Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 22, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #12,722 of 18,897
I think the Ether 2 has a lot of the same qualities as the Susvara, minus soundstage. The midrange to bass is super well done on both, extension of bass reaches very low, they both go for accuracy and linearity in that region. The treble on both is very smoothed, more on the Ether 2, which is why I tend to recommend it to treble sensitive users. The soundstage on the Susvara can get to be expansive, depending on the recording, but the Ether 2 is a little more limited. Resolution is also superior on the Susvara, but there is texture in the midrange on the Ether 2 that really stands out superbly. They're also two of the most comfortable headphones around. Ether 2 is the lightest flagship out there.

Feb 22, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #12,723 of 18,897
I think the Ether 2 has a lot of the same qualities as the Susvara, minus soundstage. The midrange to bass is super well done on both, extension of bass reaches very low, they both go for accuracy and linearity in that region. The treble on both is very smoothed, more on the Ether 2, which is why I tend to recommend it to treble sensitive users. The soundstage on the Susvara can get to be expansive, depending on the recording, but the Ether 2 is a little more limited. Resolution is also superior on the Susvara, but there is texture in the midrange on the Ether 2 that really stands out superbly. They're also two of the most comfortable headphones around. Ether 2 is the lightest flagship out there.
Oh Daddy! You get me curious. I've listened to the E2 but very briefly and didn't give it a fair shake.
I wish I had, now that I understand my sensitivity to sound better... Sigh...

In your sig, I noticed you have an album, recently released! Sweet gonna have a hear! You made it right?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #12,724 of 18,897
Oh Daddy! You get me curious. I've listened to the E2 but very briefly and didn't give it a fair shake.
I wish I had, now that I understand my sensitivity to sound better... Sigh...

In your sig, I noticed you have an album, recently released! Sweet gonna have a hear! You made it right?
Yes, that's my music, most of the songs are original and there's a couple of covers. Thanks for listening :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #12,725 of 18,897
I am curios and would like to know power supply for TT2.... since my TT2 is now gone to service center today, I am concerning the way to supply power to my TT2.
Normally, what I see on this forum, is that the 15V 4A power adapter is always on, and only use "POWER" button or remote to change TT2 status to On or Standby mode.
But my adapter is always without AC power when I don't use it, actually my power is connected trigger controlled AC Box.
When AMP is on, it triggers AC box and adapter get AC power, then TT2 is automatically on.
When I off the AMP, trigger send off signal to AC Box, AC adapter lost power, and TT2 is also finally offed.
During this process, Adapter DC power is not instantly off - it gradually lower DC voltage like 10 seconds time, because it has large size capacitors inside - so TT 2 also not instantly offed, instead, it remains on briefly, and then LED indicator on front is blinked and finally offed.

I am concerned that because of this continued power loss made some harm on my TT2, and it eventually gets broken. Because my TT2 - which is now broken - symptom is similar to when DC power is not enough. I am strongly doubt of it.

Now, I modify my Linear power, put small AC relay on it, so when AC is on, Relay is on, DC power is supplied through Relay. When AC is off, Relay Offed, DC power is instantly cut offed. So this circuit will prevent slowly-lower-DC-power problem perfectly, I believe.

What I would like to ask is, how you guys control AC power on TT 2 adapter? Is always on? Sometimes off? Any problem with it?

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #12,727 of 18,897
I hear unplugging the tt2 from the wall, with power On, to be safest? Am I wrong?
No, I also do like this, but not by unplugging from the wall but AC box will lost power by trigger-controlled realy. But it is same thing.
It is surely safe but I am worry if TT2 is still ON and just pull the power off, whether it is OK or not.

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #12,728 of 18,897
I‘ve started leaving my TT2 on all the time unless I know I won’t use it in a couple of days. It seems the start up process is straining on the system. You also get thermal stability leaving it on all the time. Also, this is what Rob Watts has said he does.

I just use the remote to mute it instead, so the volume LED won’t be on all the time.

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #12,729 of 18,897
I‘ve started leaving my TT2 on all the time unless I know I won’t use it in a couple of days. It seems the start up process is straining on the system. You also get thermal stability leaving it on all the time. Also, this is what Rob Watts has said he does.

I just use the remote to mute it instead, so the volume LED won’t be on all the time.
Mediahound, I leave my HMS/TT2 units on all of the time too unless I’m going away for the weekend. Both are plugged into a surge protector and line conditioner that has an on/off switch. When they’re not in use they both go into standby mode don’t they?

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #12,730 of 18,897

Wow, yours is on all the time? I never did it, also is this Rod Watts has said he does??? Hummmm, I have to seriously consider to do it then. Almost every electronic parts - especially capacitors, super capacitors which is vital part of TT 2 - has to be turned off because heat and constant charging reduces its lifespan significantly. So I always turned off. Normal I only use 3~4 hours at night, weekday because I am at workplace, and 8~12 hours at weekend.
So I use less than 44 hours out of 168 hours per week, I think turn off is good for lifespan and energy consuming factor. But if this behavior gave bad affect to TT 2 which I don’t know what it should be, then I also will connect on the wall all the time but only keep standby mode when I don’t use it.

Feb 23, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #12,731 of 18,897
How many TT2 users here use it as a DAC primarily and still use a tube amp?

Quite a few or not so many?

I had a Qutest first so it went to my tube amp.
TT2 is connected but I don't use it as much.

Please report back.
Would like to hear somebody how loves tubes to compare TT2 internal to a good tube amp. It has been noted on this thread a few times that it requires time to adjust to the sound change, some of us gone to an external amp and back a few times. In the end, for me TT2's transparency is so addictive that I would rather buy more efficient speakers than go to an external amp. There is still a lingering desire to try tubes, last time I had tubes was a few decades ago, happened to switch to digital audio and away from tubes very early on.

Yep, the transparency is noticeable compared to my tube amp. Mine colors or better dilutes.

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #12,732 of 18,897
Wow, yours is on all the time? I never did it, also is this Rod Watts has said he does??? Hummmm, I have to seriously consider to do it then. Almost every electronic parts - especially capacitors, super capacitors which is vital part of TT 2 - has to be turned off because heat and constant charging reduces its lifespan significantly. So I always turned off. Normal I only use 3~4 hours at night, weekday because I am at workplace, and 8~12 hours at weekend.
So I use less than 44 hours out of 168 hours per week, I think turn off is good for lifespan and energy consuming factor. But if this behavior gave bad affect to TT 2 which I don’t know what it should be, then I also will connect on the wall all the time but only keep standby mode when I don’t use it.

I had my TT2 switched on all the time 27/7. Now I have my Dave, Mscaler and Qutest switched on 24/7.

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #12,734 of 18,897
I had a Qutest first so it went to my tube amp.
TT2 is connected but I don't use it as much.

Yep, the transparency is noticeable compared to my tube amp. Mine colors or better dilutes.

So you use the TT2 amp more than tube amp now?

What tube amp do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back