Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 26, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #7,576 of 19,014
Tt2 +HMS , tt2 in low gain, xphd 1, xduoo x10t as source with hd650 to me was the experience which i can't forget. It's was one of my best music experience of my entire life. Frankly i am not a headphone guy and liked my speaker set up better than anything but first time hd650 experience was so so good. Even at around -20 to -24L volume was sufficient.

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #7,577 of 19,014
‘Snap!’ with the TT2. Mine is in black too.
Apologies for this, and I KNOW that we’ve been ‘around the houses’ on this one in this thread before, but I’m extremely close to pulling the trigger on an MScaler.
The question is: Is it really worth it?

The question is not whether it is worth it. The question is, are you worth it? You only live once, so yes.

Oct 26, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #7,578 of 19,014
I own a Hugo 2 and a Mojo and would like to sell my Hugo 2 to purchase the TT2 mostly do drive planar heaphones : Kennerton Odin v2 and Hifiman He-1000se.
Other than power difference how does the Hugo 2 compare to the TT2 ?
I imagine the difference being quite substantial.
I have just been asked the same question in another thread.

Oct 26, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #7,579 of 19,014
I own a Hugo 2 and a Mojo and would like to sell my Hugo 2 to purchase the TT2 mostly do drive planar heaphones : Kennerton Odin v2 and Hifiman He-1000se.
Other than power difference how does the Hugo 2 compare to the TT2 ?
I imagine the difference being quite substantial.

any amp with Hugo2 would lose the transparency compare to tt2 alone

I was digging real hard before getting tt2 as i am in a similar situation as yours.

About the sound i would say it’s on different level, headphone wise hugo2 is still in the mobile league, tt2 is simply another league.

Now it’s the perfect timing to sell hugo2 while it still holds. Some of those mobile solutions really are getting close to hugo2 performance.

Oct 26, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #7,580 of 19,014
Thanks guys, actually my brother is buying my Hugo2 therefore it's a good time for me to upgrade towards TT2.
Also since i'm purchasing Hifiman HE-1000se next month, the improvement paired with TT2 will be great.
Will get the Mscaler later on when i can afford it.

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #7,581 of 19,014
First Mojo, then 2Qute, Qutest, now TT2, I skipped the Hugo2.
And a few days ago I was sitting and thinking - how did I get here??? I remember, how it started.. somebody at work gave me to listen to his Grado60, so I ended up with Grado Alessandro MS1 within a few weeks and that was downhill since. I still have it, so I pulled them out and plugged into TT2, couldn't move for the next 2-3 hours, then it was 2am and I thought damn!!
I mostly use TT2 with my speakers, but now I understand how people can just be happy in headphone world.

MScaler
It is also much easier to hear the difference with headphones. Which is almost impossible to quantify for me. For the last few month I'm trying to convince myself that it is just fine without it, every weekend have a careful listening session, and every time when I put my favorite soprano recordings and start flipping the bypass button there is this barely perceivable change. The only analogy I could come up with - if you ever had a camera with manual autofocus overwrite. Let's say you are shooting some object and autofocus works fist fine, but then you switch to manual and you can focus even better, these last few % that autofocus cannot do. The same with HMS, it does the same to music, everything just gets into focus and ...... there is no way back, unless and it is a big one for everyone - you need the money for something else.
I'm happy that HMS there, I just leave it full upscaling at all time. It is quite something else to drive speakers directly with TT2, without any other amp. I was very happy with my 2Qute, but now, I cannot fathom, how could it be any better, different yes, but better, probably not.

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #7,582 of 19,014
ok there is one odd question probably bit outdated as well

Does different optic cable affect the sound quality of tt2?

There is glass optic cable and pvc optic cable range from 5$to 400$, just wondering if it does make any difference with tt2. Currently using a cheap one, hard to tell the difference between usb and optic
My atlas mavros optical lifts the veil compared to my supra optical with hugo 2 making it sound highly realistic sound when streaming netflix movies and tv series sounds like your there almost. Has lower jitter then cheap ones.

The only complaint i can have is that the connectors are slightly to big becsuse i have to use alittle force to press it in in my hugo2 my supra optical clicks in easy.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-mavros-toslink-glass-digital-optical-audio-cable#reviews

This guy says in his reviews the mavros is almost as good as the much more expensive aq diamond. He have compared some different ones.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-diamond-digital-optical-cable#reviews

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #7,583 of 19,014
Oct 26, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #7,584 of 19,014
Tt2 +HMS , tt2 in low gain, xphd 1, xduoo x10t as source with hd650 to me was the experience which i can't forget. It's was one of my best music experience of my entire life. Frankly i am not a headphone guy and liked my speaker set up better than anything but first time hd650 experience was so so good. Even at around -20 to -24L volume was sufficient.
HD650 is well known to scale really well.

Oct 26, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #7,585 of 19,014
Oct 26, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #7,587 of 19,014
Cheers for this!
Has anyone bought an MScaler and regretted it, or been disappointed with it?

Put it this way, once you get it, you won't go back (sonically). Its one of those things you just don't know you needed till you've experienced it. It does make that much of a difference once you've relaxed (from all the hype and expectations, being overly critical of things) and just listened to the music.

https://audiobacon.net/2019/05/31/chord-electronics-hugo-m-scaler-review-digital-disruption/5/

Oct 27, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #7,589 of 19,014
HI All,.
I have borrowed TT2 for a week for testing on my stereo system. The original idea was to connect it directly to Audio Note AN speakers through XLR->bananas adapter (https://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/ac...4mm-in-line-sockets-cable-set-372.html#SID=81). Speakers have high sensitivity, so 18 W is more than enough. Surprisingly, the sound quality is not as good as I expected. Bass is smeared, mids are not clear... In every aspect worse compared to playing through solid state power amplifier (2 x 100 W), where TT2 provides the best sound I ever heard of these speakers. This is confusing me, as I really expected directly driven speakers by TT2 to give the most transparent sound. Do you think that this relatively cheap adapter could decrease overall sound quality so much? Or what could be the reason? The power of TT2 is all right, I play -25 dB in high gain, so far from peak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back