Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 23, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #7,546 of 18,907

I owned C1 Mk11’s For a couple of years, same time that I had my SN2, and yes, they needed more power for sure.

I loved my c1 platinums but the magico s1mk2 is just on another level. They best the dynaudios in every way imo. I currently use the magico with the hegel h360 and TT2 until I can save up for some D'agostino amplification.
20190904_223830.jpg
20190518_234120.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #7,548 of 18,907
I have had my eye on the SN3 myself Greenbow, since I am a long time Naim user. What I am doing, is waiting for all the reviews to come out, there are a few out there, and also on the Naim forum, a fair bit of information on it, but not enough to buy unheard IMO. I owned an SN2 for a couple of years, good as it was, when I went to seperates, that is when the enjoyment really stepped up. I had a 272/XPSDR/250 DR, which was much better than the SN2. There are a few people having problems with the SN3 too, mainly the balance knob is skewed one way. New products seem to always go through growing pains, so I would wait a while if I were you.

Going by accounts, SN3 is SN2 with technical upgrades (and a phono stage which I don't want). Also SN3 has bass. I think if you liked the SN2, then there is nothing to wait for.

I am surprised to see a problem with the balanced knob. I thought it would be the same as on the SN2. Or at least Naim have not listed a new balance control in their list of upgrades.

(Anyway there is a list of the upgrades on the Naim website. Darko listed them separately for the XS3 and SN3. https://darko.audio/2019/07/the-tables-turn-on-naims-nait-xs-3-supernait-3/)

Do you have any links please for the complaints about balance control?

I'll google for balance control problems with SN3, and see what shows up.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #7,550 of 18,907
Do you have any links please for the complaints about balance control?
There have been a few threads on the Naim forum about SN3, I am not sure which one has the most info about it, but a quick search of a current topic, I found a bit of info here: Naim Community > Hi Fi Corner > SN2 vs SN3> post # 285 of 375 they are talking about it. I don’t know how to provide a direct link to that spot. There are quite a few guys on that thread using special 40’s with the SN3 also, that may interest you. I am a member there, and have made a few posts, under my normal forum name “No Quarter”, I could not get that name here to work, so am just using N Quarter. The topic’s latest post was 7 hours ago, if you scroll down in the Hi Fi Corner.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #7,551 of 18,907
There have been a few threads on the Naim forum about SN3, I am not sure which one has the most info about it, but a quick search of a current topic, I found a bit of info here: Naim Community > Hi Fi Corner > SN2 vs SN3> post # 285 of 375 they are talking about it. I don’t know how to provide a direct link to that spot. There are quite a few guys on that thread using special 40’s with the SN3 also, that may interest you. I am a member there, and have made a few posts, under my normal forum name “No Quarter”, I could not get that name here to work, so am just using N Quarter. The topic’s latest post was 7 hours ago, if you scroll down in the Hi Fi Corner.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post back. I never found any more threads other than the 'XS3 SN3 thread, and the SN3 thread.

By the way, to the TT2 thread, to keep stuff on topic. (Since I have been discussing the Naim Supernait 3.) I have as said before, been driving my speakers from the TT2. One thing that I worry about when finding a new amplifier, is not wanting to change the TT2 signature. I love it driving speakers direct.

Before I went direct drive, I was using a Rega Brio. It might seem like an underperformer compared to the TT2 but bear with me. It was there from before, and I changed the system gradually. However and this is no small statement, it did a regal job with the TT2 and Dynaudio Special Forty. Although I realise it will not have anything like detail retrieval of a much better amplifier. I guess no-one would ever really test that pairing, and only evaluate the Brio with more price matched components.

If Rega remade the Ellicit-R, to an Ellicit, like they remade made the Brio-R to the Brio, I would buy one. I found that when I took the Brio out of the system, (TT2> Rega Brio> Dynaudio Special Forty), the signature didn't change. The TT2 driving speakers was just more detailed. Leaving the Brio as a very neutral and natural amplifier in presentation.

Whereas the Rega Ellicit-R is lean and a touch bright. I would not want that. I like how the TT2 driving speakers is so solid, weighty, and not bright; just effortlessly neutral. Meaning I would not change the TT2 signature if I could. Whereas the original Rega Brio-R was a touch lean and bright also. Meaning the new generation Brio was made perfect. Little wonder it garnered praise across the board in an absolute plethora of reviews.

I am happy to buy the Naim Supernait 3, or any other suitable amplifier. When I said I would buy a Rega Ellicit if it existed, (not an Ellicit-R), I don't necessarily mean that would be my first choice. Just that I would trust a hypothetical Rega Ellicit supremely.

Rega have in fact brought out a new high end amplifier, but it has far more power than I need. It called Rega Aethos.

However to sum up, I think the Naim Supernait 3 would be quite neutral. (It would most likely outperform a hypothetical Rega Ellicit.) The Supernait 3 lacks a touch of treble I heard. I have seen a measurement of the XS3 rolling off by 1db between 10KHz and 20KHz. If the Supernait 3 was the same, I could live with that very happily, though I prefer neutral.

There are other good competitive amplifiers for this money too. For example the Simaudio Moon 340i, but it appears that is does not operate with balance control. Or rather the operating manual says there is no balance control on the 340i. (The manual actually talks about the 340iX, but the 340i is the same amplifier with no built in DAC.) There are Hegels, but I never go to looking at them much. Not sure they do balance. The Naim suits my purposes though. It's slimline from back to front, so fits where I want it. It's fast and I really want that, because it would be a shame to neuter the TT2 speed.

I think what I should do is audition the Supernait 3 alongside a Brio, at a store.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #7,552 of 18,907
I think what I should do is audition the Supernait 3 alongside a Brio, at a store.
Good plan, make sure you bring your TT2 with you for the demo, and post your thoughts here. It is still hard to even find a SN3 in North America to demo.

Oct 24, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #7,553 of 18,907
ok there is one odd question probably bit outdated as well

Does different optic cable affect the sound quality of tt2?

There is glass optic cable and pvc optic cable range from 5$to 400$, just wondering if it does make any difference with tt2. Currently using a cheap one, hard to tell the difference between usb and optic

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #7,555 of 18,907
ok there is one odd question probably bit outdated as well

Does different optic cable affect the sound quality of tt2?

There is glass optic cable and pvc optic cable range from 5$to 400$, just wondering if it does make any difference with tt2. Currently using a cheap one, hard to tell the difference between usb and optic
Romaz says it does.
I can imagine my £100 carbon black aq cable sounds better, it’s within the range of placebo.
Future sounds website give 40 day money back offer.
So you can try at no risk.
I can’t see no reason why this interconnect would be any different from other interconnect in the sense, they all affect the signal, and the signal method has no error checking, so if there is deviation in the signal then that’s what your dac would receive.
I did think in retrospect that my setup was sounding better then ever, I can’t pin point it to the cable, but it’s the same as the other kind of tests, it’s best to be relaxed and reflect over the longer term.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #7,556 of 18,907
I picked up a pair of Reference 3A Dulcet be today from my local dealer. These will replace my Dyn excite 12’s, fed directly off the TT2. Reference 3A is a Canadian company (where I live) and I have previously owned a pair of their bigger Taksim’s, absolutely loved them. They have no crossovers in the speaker,and are 88 DB/6 Ohm, so easy to drive. The only reason I sold the Taksim’s was because I moved from a house to an apartment, so I am really pumped up about these, can’t wait to hook them up later.
http://www.reference3a.com/dulcet.html

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #7,557 of 18,907
Romaz says it does.
I can imagine my £100 carbon black aq cable sounds better, it’s within the range of placebo.
I can’t see no reason why this interconnect would be any different from other interconnect in the sense, they all affect the signal, and the signal method has no error checking, so if there is deviation in the signal then that’s what your dac would receive.
I did think in retrospect that my setup was sounding better then ever, I can’t pin point it to the cable, but it’s the same as the other kind of tests, it’s best to be relaxed and reflect over the longer term.

i will get a lifatec glass optic cable to see if it make a differences. Some of the ‘hifi literature’ (I believe it will be a literature category in 50years and listed below theology) claims it do wonders like 4dmovie to 3D movies. Anyway it’s not that expensive, feels good to get some endgame cable just for 100 pounds.

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #7,558 of 18,907
Romaz says it does.

You said "if there is deviation in the signal then that’s what your dac would receive". My understanding is that if the digital signal is altered ie damaged, in any way then you will not hear slightly altered music, you will hear a click or a pop from your DAC.

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #7,559 of 18,907
You said "if there is deviation in the signal then that’s what your dac would receive". My understanding is that if the digital signal is altered ie damaged, in any way then you will not hear slightly altered music, you will hear a click or a pop from your DAC.
Hopefully a qualified individual like rob could tell us the truth.
I was chatting on the Dave thread and that’s what I was told.
If there is no error checking then you get what you get. How would the receiver know the signal has deviated without a checksum?

Oct 25, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #7,560 of 18,907
Hopefully a qualified individual like rob could tell us the truth.
I was chatting on the Dave thread and that’s what I was told.
If there is no error checking then you get what you get. How would the receiver know the signal has deviated without a checksum?

@Rob Watts Can we take this to the Supreme Court of Rob Watts for a judgement please? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back