Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 21, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #6,586 of 18,907
Well, I am glad my main focus is headphones with the TT2. While it seems to be good with most IEMs and a lot of speakers, still primarily it is a table top headphone amplifier.
I am a headphone guy, only just starting to get back into iems. I use my headphones mainly with DAVE/M Scaler but the TT2 gives me some options, including a little more weight and body than the DAVE, which is very noticeable with my LCD-4 but also with the Utopia and HE1000se. The TT2 is my mobile DAC that can serve in my main system in the lounge, with my computer in my study, or in the bedroom with headphones or iems.

Aug 21, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #6,587 of 18,907
I just bought the Hugo TT2 again. Same problem with the metal-shell Noble Audio Kaiser Encore, even in bed. The hum only stops or reduces to a point where I can almost not hear when I touch the TT2. The Westone W60 is better but I can still sometimes just hear the very slightest of hums when there is no music playing.
Sorry to hear that! Out of interest: Of what frequency does the hum consist? The one I get with my Campfire IEMs (only during the insertion phase) is 118 Hz, thus not directly related to the mains frequency (50 Hz).

As mentioned, with the mains-connected Hugo₂ – in bed – I only get the hum during the air-cushion expansion right after insertion of the IEMs, i.e. during 4-6 seconds, afterwards it is nonexistent. When I touch the metallic fence on the balcony, though, I get really painful electric shocks on the ear(s), worst with three of the four Andromeda drivers.

If what you hear is the mains frequency, it might be possible to reduce it by special earthing measures for the TT₂.

Aug 21, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #6,589 of 18,907
Saw your PM, but figured I'd reply here so everyone can see it. Yes, the TT2 drives the Susvara well (from the XLR outputs on the rear.) I have never tried the Mscaler. I do enjoy my Susvara driven from my Kinki EX-M1 speaker amp more than from the TT2 directly, which was surprising to me. It has more grip and control of the drivers it seems, and has more impact.

Its a trade off. The direct from TT2 approach for ultimate clarity, or from the amp for the reasons mentioned above. I prefer the amp. YMMV.
can you share a pic nd type of cable you are using for the susvera to XLR???

i am looking for all in one so TT2MSC + SUS is very appealing

how much larger a delta going from speaker amp VS direct from XLR on TT2?????? speaker amp is getting really messy TBH. The delta would need to be massive to even consider the expense and hassle.

I just stepped up from a Kann Cube to MSC and TT2 and the delta there is everest like... I do not expect the same between tt2xlr VS speaker amp for susvera.

ALSO

I am enjoying the meaty sound and bass form LCD 4Z on T2/Mscaler.... does the susvera beat this???

thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #6,591 of 18,907
I just bought the Hugo TT2 again. Same problem with the metal-shell Noble Audio Kaiser Encore, even in bed. The hum only stops or reduces to a point where I can almost not hear when I touch the TT2. The Westone W60 is better but I can still sometimes just hear the very slightest of hums when there is no music playing.
Have you tried grounding a TT2? I think Rob said earlier that it could be done by connecting to earth screen contact of BNC connector. I`m not completely sure, so it`s better to find his original post before trying.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #6,592 of 18,907
I am enjoying the meaty sound and bass form LCD 4Z on T2/Mscaler.... does the susvera beat this???

thanks for the help!

I don’t know the answer to this question but it’s the question you need to solve to figure out if the susavara is the right headphone for you.

IMO, the TT2 is versatile and powerful, but I don’t know if plugging head phones into XLR is the best way to get sound out of it for headphones. Personally, I’d lean towards the best cans that can be driven from headphone out and then add some speakers for the XLRs.

Just my opinion but I thought I’d share.

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #6,593 of 18,907
I am a headphone guy, only just starting to get back into iems. I use my headphones mainly with DAVE/M Scaler but the TT2 gives me some options, including a little more weight and body than the DAVE, which is very noticeable with my LCD-4 but also with the Utopia and HE1000se. The TT2 is my mobile DAC that can serve in my main system in the lounge, with my computer in my study, or in the bedroom with headphones or iems.

I’m thinking of the TT2 to use with my recently bought Stellias. Given you have the Utopias would you consider it to be a good match? Also again just for headphone listening.

Aug 22, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #6,594 of 18,907

As other posters have mentioned, you simply need to earth TT2 - or feed it via battery power - or don't allow a conduction path from TT2 ground via the IEM to earth via your body. Another possibility is to use lower impedance cables for your IEM, as the problem is down to voltage drops from the PSU leakage current on the ground wire on the IEM cable.

Aug 22, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #6,595 of 18,907
I’m thinking of the TT2 to use with my recently bought Stellias. Given you have the Utopias would you consider it to be a good match? Also again just for headphone listening.
I’ve so far only heard the Stellia on demo with a Hugo 2 fed by my AK380 DAP via optical. So cannot yet directly compare performance between Utopia and Stellia. That said, I cannot easily imagine any quality headphone sounding less than excellent with the TT2. Not wishing to start an argument over how much power inefficient headphones like the Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC and Hifiman Susvara need to drive them properly, I enjoyed hearing both those headphones driven by a TT2/M Scaler combo at Hifi Lounge a couple of weeks ago,

With your location given as London, it shouldn’t be too hard to find a dealer you can easily get to who can demo the Stellia with the TT2. I demo’d the Stellia at Audio Venue in Ealing. Saj there only supplies TT2s to order but might be able to get a unit in for a demo. Audio Sanctuary in New Malden are likely to have available for demo both Stellia and TT2, as are Nintronics a little further away in Welwyn Garden City. I would also recommend a trip to Hifi Lounge in Biggleswade at some point. The selection of headphones available to listen to there is impressive, as is the demo room.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #6,597 of 18,907
As other posters have mentioned, you simply need to earth TT2 - or feed it via battery power - or don't allow a conduction path from TT2 ground via the IEM to earth via your body. Another possibility is to use lower impedance cables for your IEM, as the problem is down to voltage drops from the PSU leakage current on the ground wire on the IEM cable.
Thanks, Rob. I’ve just got rid of the hum by wrapping wire from the earth pin of a mains plug around the dc input barrel. I also have two Poweradd Pilot Pro 2 power packs. Are they powerful enough to drive the TT2?

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #6,598 of 18,907

I tried the TT2 (and HMS) with Focal Stellias for half an hour about a month ago, and they worked excellently together.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #6,599 of 18,907
First of all thanks to chord and rob watts for this ultimate digital gadget called tt2. i did not find the difference in transparency between rca and xlr out, in fact I found XLR to be slightly better than rca in depth and transparency anybody having same experience ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back