Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 18, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #6,556 of 18,907
Found this usb cable for anyone that want to improve the TT2 peformence from standard generic ones. Well reviewed by the costumers and some experts in the info text.

Also they have 60 days money back garuantee.
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/tellurium-q-black-usb-type-a-to-type-b-cable#reviews

I really like the sound of silver diamond rca cable i am auditioning at the moment best ive heard but also most expensive. Reduceses brightness and sound more natural without geting veiled. No loss in detail.

Next i will look for an ethernet cable to uppgrade from standard generic one. From router to streamer. Anyone got experience hearing sound improvement uppgrading from generic one to more expensive regarding ethernet cable?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #6,557 of 18,907
Since we were talking about TOTL headphones, I have done a little research, some might find interesting. Of course, weight is not everything. My 550g Audeze LCD2C (lightest LCD) actually sat on my head in a more comfortable way than the 450g Focal Clear due to the large memory foam pads. 500-550g however is the upper limit of comfortable weight for me. The Empyrean's 430g was a smaller relief after the LCD2C.

Audeze LCD4 - 705-735g (sources are unclear)
Abyss Phi TC - 620g
Audeze LCD4z - 610g
HiFiMan HE1000SE - 502g
Focal Utopia - 490g
HiFiMan Susvara - 450g
ZMF Verité - 430g
Meze Empyrean - 430g
HiFiMan HE1000V2 - 420g
(Mr Speaker's Ether 2 - 290g which is remarkable, but sq is a bit behind the others.)

I haven't heard the Abyss or Susvara but from the rest my personal sound preference is: 1, Empyrean, 2, Audeze, 3, HiFiMan, 4, ZMF, 5, Focal.

And to stay on topic, all sound great out of the TT2. :)

hate to burst the bubble here but susvara are quite a bit better than the empy but harder to drive... considering I can get susvara new for $3500 really no contest.
Heard susvara + tt2 + mscaler is getting close to the $59k HE1

Aug 19, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #6,558 of 18,907
hate to burst the bubble here but susvara are quite a bit better than the empy but harder to drive... considering I can get susvara new for $3500 really no contest.
Heard susvara + tt2 + mscaler is getting close to the $59k HE1
You are not bursting any bubbles. Here Susvara is selling for £5695 ($6900). Enjoy.

Aug 19, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #6,559 of 18,907
Susvara needs to be 50% less to be worth what it is. 8000 in canada , you got to be joking. Course tt2 is 8 grand in canada, that should be half to gain traction as well

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #6,562 of 18,907
The HD800S is a bit of a thin headphone. The Hugo 2 is not thin - not by any stretch of the imagination.

I am still looking/deciding for some quality headphones myself. The HD800S is the only headphone on my don't buy list. That's because it's slightly thin sounding. I would never buy thin sounding gear again, because you end up in an endless fight trying to correct it.

Anyway whatever.

The only thing you need to fight against thin sound is time or patience. As long as you listen to HD800s for a week without touching other headphones, you will find nothing thin.
An interesting thing is if now you switch to a pair of thick sounding headphones for 3 minutes, then you will again find HD800s thin. That's the mystery of hearing memory.
So I will never say any good or bad thing about a pair of headphones unless I listen to it for a long time without switching to others.

Aug 20, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #6,563 of 18,907
The only thing you need to fight against thin sound is time or patience. As long as you listen to HD800s for a week without touching other headphones, you will find nothing thin.
An interesting thing is if now you switch to a pair of thick sounding headphones for 3 minutes, then you will again find HD800s thin. That's the mystery of hearing memory.
So I will never say any good or bad thing about a pair of headphones unless I listen to it for a long time without switching to others.
LCD 4Z is great... will have LCD 24 tomorrow and report back

Aug 20, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #6,566 of 18,907
Even though I have never heard the Susvara, I am not sure I would prefer them to the Empy out of the TT2. IMO with headphones above £2000 it is all about personal preference. All about the sound signature you like and the music genres you listen to. I paid 38% of the price of a new Susvara (in the UK) for my new Empys. Even if I would prefer the Susvara to the Empys, I highly doubt I would prefer them for 62% more money...

Your $3500 price for the Susvara is quite exceptional as it is more or less 50% of the global retail price. For that money I would definitely consider them as an alternative, but I am not sure if they are superior by default compared to the Empy from a decent source like TT2. Subjectively perhaps, but objectively? I am not sure.
Anyway, I doubt $3500 will be the new RRP for Susvara anytime soon, so take advantage on the deal if Susvara is what you want.

For another point of view I leave here @Currawong 's impressions. He admittedly loves his Susvara as one of his daily drivers but was pretty impressed with the Empys.
YouTube link.

Aug 20, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #6,567 of 18,907
Even though I have never heard the Susvara, I am not sure I would prefer them to the Empy out of the TT2. IMO with headphones above £2000 it is all about personal preference. All about the sound signature you like and the music genres you listen to. I paid 38% of the price of a new Susvara (in the UK) for my new Empys. Even if I would prefer the Susvara to the Empys, I highly doubt I would prefer them for 62% more money...

Your $3500 price for the Susvara is quite exceptional as it is more or less 50% of the global retail price. For that money I would definitely consider them as an alternative, but I am not sure if they are superior by default compared to the Empy from a decent source like TT2. Subjectively perhaps, but objectively? I am not sure.
Anyway, I doubt $3500 will be the new RRP for Susvara anytime soon, so take advantage on the deal if Susvara is what you want.

For another point of view I leave here @Currawong 's impressions. He admittedly loves his Susvara as one of his daily drivers but was pretty impressed with the Empys.
YouTube link.
Would you say the Empyrean was worth the asking price? In a perfect world what would you want it to cost based on sound quality, if you can put a number?

If you have heard HD800S is the Empyrean much better

Maybe around $1000 i think would be fair for a new HD800S in a perfect world.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #6,568 of 18,907
Would you say the Empyrean was worth the asking price? In a perfect world what would you want it to cost based on sound quality, if you can put a number?

Maybe around $100 i think would be fair for a new HD800S in a perfect world.
These sort of questions open a very subjective and vast space for debate.

IMO in an ideal world no headphones should cost more than £1000.
Unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world.

There are great headphones between £1000-2000 and the ones over £2000 represent the pinnacles of nowadays technology.
Whether someone is ready to pay top price for one of the best headphones in the world in 2019 is a very subjective matter.

However if we look at the flagship headphones of 2019 from a relatively objective point of view, we have to say that the asking price of the Empyrean represents a very good value for money compared to other flagship headphones.

In my personal experience (I did audition the HD800S) the Empyrean is a class above the current Sennheiser flagship. But that is just my taste, my music, my hearing, my opinion.

Aug 20, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #6,569 of 18,907

Maybe around $1000 i think would be fair for a new HD800S in a perfect world.

fairness has nothing to do with the cost of a product or service...is the price of a mercedes fair?...the price of a concert ticket?.....the price of a rolex watch etc?....the price of a world series ticket?.......the price is based on supply and demand nothing more......fairness aint part of the equation

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #6,570 of 18,907
I will be receiving my TT2 during the second half of September and all has been finalised. I also ordered a pure silver headphone cable of 3 metres length with a quarter inch Furutech connector today at £399. Hand made and optimised to bring the best out of my PM1. Today was a good day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back