Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 24, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #6,616 of 18,895
Woohoo

I woke up today without screaming tinnitus, am sooooooooo happy :)

Drug induced tinnitus is real, avoid the nerve painkiller amytriptyline and nortriptyline, as this last month has been a complete and utter misery, my tinnitus was so bad I was starting to shout when speaking, aka couldn't hear myself speak at normal volumes and I needed my soundbar up at 20-22 to hear the TV, my usual is 12.

Even with headphones on I could hear Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg over the music. I rate tinnitus that bad, as being on the same par as excruciating nerve pain, as its soul destroying. Now here come's the kicker, I've tried all nerve painkillers that the nhs has to offer, and none now agree with me :|

Anyway,

Because my uber tinnitus has fckd off, I just bought a pair of Meze Empyreans :) they won't get here til like wednesday or thursday of next week due to the english holidays.

:)

Glad to hear, I wish mine would go away this easy

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #6,617 of 18,895

It's not fully away, but back to semi'ish normal levels. Before it was so loud, and happened so quick I really thought I had damaged my hearing.

But then I noticed it getting worse and then better that coincided with me taking higher and lower doses of my nerve pills. I told the doc and he said nothing else to try excelt cognitive behaviour, i.e thinking the pain away. I told him to stop taking the piss and to hand over better pills, instead of nerve pills he gave me more 30mg temazepam sleeping tablets :)

Chemical sleep is amazing.

In order to keep the empyreans I have to sell my new aeons, £800 new 2 weeks ago, but for £650 cash they can be anyones.

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #6,618 of 18,895
Because my uber tinnitus has fckd off, I just bought a pair of Meze Empyreans :) they won't get here til like wednesday or thursday of next week due to the english holidays.
Looking forward to reading your impressions on the Empyrean. I still love them out of the TT2.
I am sure you won't miss the Aeons. :)

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #6,619 of 18,895
Looking forward to reading your impressions on the Empyrean. I still love them out of the TT2.
I am sure you won't miss the Aeons. :)

Yeah, I won't miss them, they are ok but they just don't compare to the hd800s, the 800s sound more like real speakers, it's like I haven't got headphones on at all.

Both are good, but I would never get rid of my HD800S, I would the aeons, but not worried if they sell or not.

Can't wait for them to arrive, suitcase, two cables etc, I think these will be collectors item in the future, so it's an investment :)

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #6,620 of 18,895

tinnitus is a bitch, i have some moderate tinnitus in my left ear that comes and goes in intensity....i have worn hearing protection at concerts for the past 20 yrs but when young went to a springsteen concert at MSG that was insanely loud and i think that was the cause....good luck with it...i know people who have it so bad it literally ruins their lives

Aug 24, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #6,621 of 18,895
I feel for you Amberlamps, though thank goodness I have never suffered from it myself, despite working in the Aerospace industry all my life. I tell you what though, not a million miles from me, there are acres and acres of glass houses that used to grow tomatoes. They now grow a medical variation of weed. Who knows what they might be able to cure with that stuff in the future!

Anyways, getting back on track I’m getting an MScaler set up here at home next week which I can keep for a while. From what I’ve read I’m guessing the punch will come when it is taken away! I’m glad I have the funds available just in case!

Aug 24, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #6,622 of 18,895
Woohoo

I woke up today without screaming tinnitus, am sooooooooo happy :)

Drug induced tinnitus is real, avoid the nerve painkiller amytriptyline and nortriptyline, as this last month has been a complete and utter misery, my tinnitus was so bad I was starting to shout when speaking, aka couldn't hear myself speak at normal volumes and I needed my soundbar up at 20-22 to hear the TV, my usual is 12.

Even with headphones on I could hear Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg over the music. I rate tinnitus that bad, as being on the same par as excruciating nerve pain, as its soul destroying. Now here come's the kicker, I've tried all nerve painkillers that the nhs has to offer, and none now agree with me :|

Anyway,

What you dont use the TT2 with optical from tv? I use hugo 2 that way. Sounds can sound very realistic with atlas mavros optical cable and HD800S.

Aug 24, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #6,623 of 18,895
What you dont use the TT2 with optical from tv? I use hugo 2 that way. Sounds can sound very realistic with atlas mavros optical cable and HD800S.

Because they are too far apart from one another, I did try it before but I ended up with 10 feet of opt cable all over the carpet. :frowning2:

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #6,624 of 18,895
Because they are too far apart from one another, I did try it before but I ended up with 10 feet of opt cable all over the carpet. :frowning2:
Oh ok. I have all my audio gear in the tv stand so i only need 1m optical cable.I Dont use any computer to play music just my streamer controlled from my smartphone.Its more convenient for me so i can sit in my tv couch instead of an computer chair.

Empyrean i think is a good choice for TT2. I was thinking myself that i would do an intrade for used hugo 2 to TT2 and money inbetween but i will have a audio shop stop for now. I think put all my savings to buy a small house instead. But after that maybe when i have all i want i could focus on uppgrades.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #6,625 of 18,895
My tinnitus was actually what got me into audiophile head gear. Listening to my TT2 gives me periods were I can get lost in music and not hear the ringing.

I can hear difference between filters but don't have s a preference. I also only use x-phd with my open back.

Aug 25, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #6,626 of 18,895
I feel for you Amberlamps, though thank goodness I have never suffered from it myself, despite working in the Aerospace industry all my life. I tell you what though, not a million miles from me, there are acres and acres of glass houses that used to grow tomatoes. They now grow a medical variation of weed. Who knows what they might be able to cure with that stuff in the future!

Anyways, getting back on track I’m getting an MScaler set up here at home next week which I can keep for a while. From what I’ve read I’m guessing the punch will come when it is taken away! I’m glad I have the funds available just in case!
Taken away?
For me with all the Chord dacs it can be connected to, there was and is an immediate and very obvious lift and SQ improvement within seconds.

Cheers CC

Aug 25, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #6,627 of 18,895
Oh ok. I have all my audio gear in the tv stand so i only need 1m optical cable.I Dont use any computer to play music just my streamer controlled from my smartphone.Its more convenient for me so i can sit in my tv couch instead of an computer chair.

Empyrean i think is a good choice for TT2. I was thinking myself that i would do an intrade for used hugo 2 to TT2 and money inbetween but i will have a audio shop stop for now. I think put all my savings to buy a small house instead. But after that maybe when i have all i want i could focus on uppgrades.

Your mentioning a small house instead of highend HIFI toys puts things a bit in perspective imho.
In our scarcely populated country Sweden, there are still areas where the price of a DAVE/HMS combo and headphones, amps and speakers will buy you a quite nice little cottage in the woods.
And in some areas even a big house.
On the other hand, once one has gotten used to an HMS with a H2, Qutest, TT2 or Dave there is simply no going back imho.
Cheers CC

Aug 25, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #6,629 of 18,895
0142FDE0-AC51-4CF1-BD42-980A2B7F6BCB.jpeg
I just can’t stop playing this, especially tracks 1 and 2. I hope others may discover they like it too.

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #6,630 of 18,895
The only thing you need to fight against thin sound is time or patience. As long as you listen to HD800s for a week without touching other headphones, you will find nothing thin.
An interesting thing is if now you switch to a pair of thick sounding headphones for 3 minutes, then you will again find HD800s thin. That's the mystery of hearing memory.
So I will never say any good or bad thing about a pair of headphones unless I listen to it for a long time without switching to others.

I checked out the few HD800S reviews. They are all complimentary.

I did think about the HD800S a while ago. Knowing Sennheiser's reputation for excellence, I had no reason not to consider the HD800S. (I heard that they had addressed the brightness of the HD800.) Then I saw a flurry of remarks calling it thin sounding, especially in comparison to other headphones like the Focal Clear. They say the Clear is balanced and no mention of thin tone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back