Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 2, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #1,622 of 19,009
@Rob Watts - Sorry if this is a dumb question. So I assume the unbalanced power output ratings (7.3 W RMS 8Ω) apply to the headphone outputs as well. Will you guys release information regarding the gain from the headphone outputs?

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #1,625 of 19,009
You should get more than 98 dB SPL, so on paper it should drive it OK. That is using the balanced OP.

I saw those desktop Magnapan speakers, just said need Class AB. So Rob is the TT2 class AB even though as you stayed it should work well.

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #1,626 of 19,009
I saw those desktop Magnapan speakers, just said need Class AB. So Rob is the TT2 class AB even though as you stayed it should work well.

It's actually much better than Class AB, in terms of it's actual measured performance. Take a look at this distortion plot with 12W RMS into 8 ohms using 20Hz (from my presentation of TT2):

Slide13.JPG

What is remarkable about this is the complete absence of crossover distortion - there are no distortion products at all above 3 kHz; and crossover distortion (when the amp is in class B mode) has high frequency distortion that extends to infinite frequencies. So what we are getting here is the same measured performance as an ideal Class A amplifier. And I say ideal, because if I remove the load, the distortion with 20 Hz is unchanged - proving the output is an ideal Class A performance.

The reason I get this performance is due to the second order analogue noise shaper structure of the amplifier, with a second integrator linearising the discrete output stage.

Curiously, Chord's new Etude amp can also be considered a second order analogue noise shaper - as feedforward correction is also noise shaping. It's equivalent to MASH feedforward noise shapers, and this too can eliminate crossover distortion, as well as giving much lower levels of distortion.

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,627 of 19,009
Good evening Rob,

I have ordered the TT2 and M-Scaler, and intend to power them with Paul Hynes SR3 Linear PSU's which I already own. This is purely to remove switchers from my dedicated radial circuit.

Having looked at the images of both on the Chord website, it would appear (although not clear) that the TT2 is 18V and the M-Scaler 15V. Is that correct and if so can you confirm the current rating required.

Thanks for your help

Paul

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #1,632 of 19,009
Other members + Moon-Audio
OK mate thanks, I'm glad to be honest,gives me more time to pay off the 500 quid,unless John Franks will let me mop the floors at Chord headquarters?I would like to design the outer case Obviously after I've mopped the floors, they advertise a tank going over their products which proves it's well built, I would also make it stealth so radar can't detect it, I'm thinking of the lockheed f-117 nighthawk and the window where the cockpit would be,any ideas how you would want your Chord product to look like?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #1,634 of 19,009
I was hoping to audition November 15-17 so this isn't looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back