Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #10,081 of 18,951
There is a small difference in SQ with low gain to high gain due to changes in the feedback - low gain has 2 extra components.

ASIO is preferred for DSD, as DSD512 is supported. I thought I maybe could hear a difference with ASIO against WASAPI, but a lot depends upon your PC and setup; ASIO supposedly has less processing than WASAPI and this maybe a factor.

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #10,082 of 18,951
The only worry are the super-caps. But since they are run at low voltage, with low temperature, I calculated the life and it came to an extraordinary figure - 500,000 hours for a 50% reduction in capacitance. That's 50 years... Something else will fail before then. Electronics fail with on/off surges and temperature cycling, so keeping it on actually helps reliability, if you use it every day.

I still worry about the supercaps.

The TT2 gets hot sometimes, although that may not be hot for your supercaps.

I read there are two different types of supercaps. Ones with a liquid in and one without. Supercaps with liquid eventually dry out, and high temperature is their enemy.

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #10,083 of 18,951
There is a small difference in SQ with low gain to high gain due to changes in the feedback - low gain has 2 extra components.

ASIO is preferred for DSD, as DSD512 is supported. I thought I maybe could hear a difference with ASIO against WASAPI, but a lot depends upon your PC and setup; ASIO supposedly has less processing than WASAPI and this maybe a factor.
Rob, I am not much into electronics but in low gain two extra components means these components are for stepping down the output of high gain to low gain in analog domain by using some kind of resistors ? How does that affect transparency and s/n of low gain ?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #10,084 of 18,951
Bartok is going yggy way. You would find a number of members in every forum that we did this and that and it beat Dave (no need to say why it is done ) . Not long ago a comparison was posted of Dave +m scaler with msb select and recordings were posted on chord fb page . Msb was clearly sounding shouty and dirty and the msb owner was like 'why I spent so much on msb' after he listened Dave combo. Everyone knows what happened to yggy ,totaldac and ps audio direct stream. You can't hide digital shortcomings through analog design, there is no way you can do that. If at all one likes some kind of distortion there are other ways to get that. Best would be to listen fm or am radio, it will have more poor measurements. Also measuring the affect of long tap length is not possible after a certain limit of tap length with current equipments. But brain is sensitive even to slightest of timing errors. IMHO it is difficult to compare dacs through headphones because headphones can't project image in front of you. Depth and image through headphones can only be experienced "over your head" which actually is highly perceptible through chord dacs. This may fool your brain into believing of less width. Believe me if you are not habitual it can be a completely different experience than other dac +headphone amp combo. In a well set speaker set up ( with accurate toe in ) the depth and image projected by chord dacs is like a live performance. Timbre, tonality and focus of instruments and voice is unmatched. Imo those comparing Dave combo with other dacs ( any other dac of their choice ) should record analog out and post on any forum of their choice.

Speakers will always project the image in front of you, even bad ones. With headphones, it's different and only the very best headphone systems can project depth, out of your head sound and image in front of you. Of course, it is never as good as with a good speaker system. But IMO just getting the sound out of your head and sounding like the musicians are playing on a stage in front of you makes listening to headphones so much more fun and real compared to the bombastic sound when all the musicians are playing on top of each other on top of your head.

The rest of your post, about other DACs, make no sense. You can’t seriously have listen to a MSB select ll and say that it sound shouty and dirty. Some may prefer a Dave or some other DACs but not because the Select ll sound shouty and dirty.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #10,085 of 18,951
Not long ago a comparison was posted of Dave +m scaler with msb select and recordings were posted on chord fb page . Msb was clearly sounding shouty and dirty and the msb owner was like 'why I spent so much on msb' after he listened Dave combo.

You can only say that it sounded shouty and dirty if you were actually there. Otherwise you are just saying that whatever analog to digital converter used and then the dac you are using to listen to the recording sounds shouty and dirty. Listening to recordings of audio equipment has it's place and it can possibly reveal differences when equipment is compared. On the other hand you must never forget that you are listening through your equipment and that must influence the sound.

This kind of thing is fascinating but don't imagine that you are getting the sound exactly as Oluv heard it. Oluv is not using your dac, amplifier and headphones, is he?

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #10,086 of 18,951
You can only say that it sounded shouty and dirty if you were actually there. Otherwise you are just saying that whatever analog to digital converter used and then the dac you are using to listen to the recording sounds shouty and dirty. Listening to recordings of audio equipment has it's place and it can possibly reveal differences when equipment is compared. On the other hand you must never forget that you are listening through your equipment and that must influence the sound.

This kind of thing is fascinating but don't imagine that you are getting the sound exactly as Oluv heard it. Oluv is not using your dac, amplifier and headphones, is he?

The guy just doesn't get it. It's a lost cause.

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #10,087 of 18,951
The only worry are the super-caps. But since they are run at low voltage, with low temperature, I calculated the life and it came to an extraordinary figure - 500,000 hours for a 50% reduction in capacitance. That's 50 years... Something else will fail before then. Electronics fail with on/off surges and temperature cycling, so keeping it on actually helps reliability, if you use it every day.

Thanks. I guess I'll start leaving it on except if I know I'm not going to use it the next day, and just muting it to turn off the volume LED.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #10,092 of 18,951
I have been in several PMs with @Amberlamps about this clicking issue, and it's a bit of a mystery. I have talked with Chord, and of the thousands of TT2 none so far have come back with clicks.

Perhaps it's a real bug nesting in TT2!

I think it might be thermal, like slight expansions in the casing or something like that. I've noticed mine doesn't click as much after it's been left on for a while, but still does from time to time. His issue could be something entirely different than mine though I suppose.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #10,095 of 18,951
I am considering adding a speaker system to my home. HiFi dealer has recommended the Anthem amplifier, Focal Sopra 3 speakers, and the like.

However, he is not a Chord dealer, whereas I am a real Chord fan. I am considering the TT2 and MScaler (or maybe Dave and MScaler), plus efficient speakers (e.g., Omega Alnico Plus) that can be driven directly by the TT2. I considered adding an amp (the TToby of Chord), but I hear of the improved sound quality of avoiding an extra amp (even a Chord amp).

The challenge I face... the Anthem includes Anthem Room Correction ("ARC"), which is highly regarded. But it also has DACs, amps, and all the other stuff I am trying to use the Chord for.

My questions: 1) How important is room correction? (I am a novice to high quality speaker sound systems). 2) How do you do room correction (if important) in a Chord TT system without adding an amp?

Also, more basically... just what IS room correction? Is it frequency equalization? Time delay processing between channels???

Thanks for your insight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back