Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 26, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #10,051 of 19,009
Every now and then I get a surreal experience when listening to tunes, and today I had that experience, I had the proclaimers physically in my ears, it was a surreal.

I will walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more. I blame roon radio as I decontaminated my self from the proclaimers way back in the 1980s I think it was ? Still, today I got the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

What movie is that from? Didn't it star Johnny Depp?

I owned previously the 2Qute and later the Qutest. Both were great DACs for their price, but I would say that Qutest had an incredible price/performance ratio and was a big step forward from the 2Qute. One month ago I had an opportunity to buy at a good price the combo of TT2 + M Scaler and I took them. The first impression, when I tried the TT2 coming from the Qutest was an incredible wide soundstage, with a lot of more elements. I have to admit, I heard a better resolution but if I would like to assess it, I would say that 20% is a decent value. But what most people do not understand when comparing high end DACs is that up to a price point you search for clarity and resolution, and from a point, you already have the needed resolution and you search for a more natural sound. TT2 does not have a proportional resolution increase compared to the price vs Qutest, but the sound it provides is more natural, efortless, closer to what you hear in the real world or a concert hall, and it shines on specific passages. Of course, to what degree it depends on the rest of your gear, on the music genre and the quality of the files you play. It is that type of DAC which grows near you each time you listen to it. Most of the tracks are close to what you know, but those specific passages, when you hear that natural sound, are making the difference. It is always hard to compare, especially if you sell your previous gear, and this is my case. And yes, I use TT2 with an external tube amplifier because the integrated ones cannot properly make my T1s shine, and I use upgraded BNC cables and linear power supplies. All of these are making a difference for me. The internal amplifier was never a selling point for me, since I was always interested in the DAC part of the Chord products.

I started with the Qutest, as well. I moved to TT2, and haven't looked back. It performs so well next step is to add VOCE. which will require an energizer. Been trying to figure out if TT2 can safely power a Woo audio WEE.

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #10,052 of 19,009
tt2 direct is better. stats soften the sound.

Jul 27, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #10,053 of 19,009
Hello, I am new to this forum and my English is not my mother tongue, so I hope you will excuse me.

I recently went from a Qutest to TT2 and the change is amazing, I am excited. But I have some questions for Rob.

- Can I leave the TT2 on 24/7?

- For me, it sounds much more complete in DAC mode than in AMP mode. Why?

I also did the test with MS and the truth, I did not like it (I guess they will criticize). Then I found out that I don't like oversampling, neither with Mscaler, nor HQplayer, nor with Roon. I find that the benefits are a better cohesion and focus of the instruments but at the expense of losing dimensionality, depth and hearing more the wood of the instruments. I find that everything becomes small.

Regards,

Yes for sure you can leave it on 24/7 - that's what I do with mine. If you want to save power then use the standby power down.

DAC mode is the same as AMP mode when in low gain mode with the volume fixed at -5L. So assuming you are adding an external amp in DAC mode then that often sounds warmer due to distortions (mostly 2nd harmonic) and the reduction in transparency. Extra capacitors added in the signal path due to the external amp will also add low frequency bloom due to dielectric absorption errors too.

We will have to disagree about the M scaler as to me it adds a great deal of depth, instrument focus and more importantly musicality!

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #10,054 of 19,009
Yes for sure you can leave it on 24/7 - that's what I do with mine. If you want to save power then use the standby power down.

DAC mode is the same as AMP mode when in low gain mode with the volume fixed at -5L. So assuming you are adding an external amp in DAC mode then that often sounds warmer due to distortions (mostly 2nd harmonic) and the reduction in transparency. Extra capacitors added in the signal path due to the external amp will also add low frequency bloom due to dielectric absorption errors too.

We will have to disagree about the M scaler as to me it adds a great deal of depth, instrument focus and more importantly musicality!
Rob, how many volts is -5L ( or rather 0L) through rca ?

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #10,055 of 19,009
What movie is that from? Didn't it star Johnny Depp?

I started with the Qutest, as well. I moved to TT2, and haven't looked back. It performs so well next step is to add VOCE. which will require an energizer. Been trying to figure out if TT2 can safely power a Woo audio WEE.

I would like to know if TT2 can power an energizer, also (WEE or ifi Pro iESL); looking at Kaldas RR1 Conquest. Anyone have pros and cons of trying to use electrostats with TT2?

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #10,056 of 19,009
I would like to know if TT2 can power an energizer, also (WEE or ifi Pro iESL); looking at Kaldas RR1 Conquest. Anyone have pros and cons of trying to use electrostats with TT2?

Nope. Consider electrostats on a completely different system that need an amp designed for them, typically 200 volts and higher. That said, you can use the TT2 as the DAC going in to the electrostat amp.

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #10,058 of 19,009

Rob, thanks for replying.

Leaving it on 24/7 shortens the life of the tt2?

The sound tests between the DAC / AMP modes I did with my Supernait3. I am not talking about driving the speakers directly from the RCA / XLR outputs. So according to you, it shouldn't change the sound but it did. Could the high gain in AMP mode change the sound and in low gain not change?

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #10,060 of 19,009
Leaving it on 24/7 shortens the life of the tt2?

I worry about the life of the super-capacitors if leaving it on all the time.

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #10,061 of 19,009
Jul 27, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #10,062 of 19,009
24/7 tt, what 4 and a half years, no problem

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #10,065 of 19,009
Is there any color vs voltage output chart for tt2 like mojo ?

I have not seen such a chart however the TT2 does display the voltage number as you change the volume, along with the volume ball changing color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back