Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 18, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #676 of 18,907
I've got the nighthawk so should I just connect to the front Jack then? More power?

No not more power.

Chord dacs are se. You plug em in via 1/4 inch in the front. you got two jacks for two phones. the gain is for all connections. the back balanced xlr are for balanced amps or speakers i guess. you can use rca out to a se amp. but considering the gain thing power is not a concern, amps less needed i guess. So IF you have a four pin xlr cabled balanced HP you got to get a balanced amp to enjoy the xlr connections in the back, to power your balanced phones. There is no adapter for se to xlr. There are adapters for xlr to se. That help....

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #677 of 18,907
No not more power.

Chord dacs are se. You plug em in via 1/4 inch in the front. you got two jacks for two phones. the gain is for all connections. the back balanced xlr are for balanced amps or speakers i guess. you can use rca out to a se amp. but considering the gain thing power is not a concern, amps less needed i guess. So IF you have a four pin xlr cabled balanced HP you got to get a balanced amp to enjoy the xlr connections in the back, to power your balanced phones. There is no adapter for se to xlr. There are adapters for xlr to se. That help....
So I can't go left XLR to left speaker in headphone and right XLR to right speaker in headphone because it's not balanced? Also thought it was 18 v on the quarter Jack but 9v from the balanced?

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #678 of 18,907
So I can't go left XLR to left speaker in headphone and right XLR to right speaker in headphone because it's not balanced? Also thought it was 18 v on the quarter Jack but 9v from the balanced?
No xlr is balanced out for interconnecting balanced to a balanced amp. Speakers I guess but I don’t know. The 18 v is high gain mode. That’s crazy amount of power for an amp or hp, really just for speakers. The front se is THE ONLY WAY TO CONNECT A HP, SO IT BETTER BE 1/4 INCH. The back xlr are 3 pin interconnects not 4 pin xlr balanced hp. Cables, Ok

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #679 of 18,907
I read that the dac is balanced. So 18 volt balanced mode and 9 volt single ended mode. I' m wrong?

Jun 18, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #680 of 18,907
No chord dacs are not balanced except through balanced out xlr 3 pin in the back. Concerning the power the 9 or 18 is high gain mode otherwise 2.5 v. Chord dacs are se only otherwise. In fact rob prefers se connections. Se hp front, rca out se in the back. I use xlr balanced out to gsx mk2 and love it but that’s me. I don’t know unless I hear or have some credible comparisons to tt2 vs tt. The bonus of gain is meaningless to me.....

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #681 of 18,907
No xlr is balanced out for interconnecting balanced to a balanced amp. Speakers I guess but I don’t know. The 18 v is high gain mode. That’s crazy amount of power for an amp or hp, really just for speakers. The front se is THE ONLY WAY TO CONNECT A HP, SO IT BETTER BE 1/4 INCH. The back xlr are 3 pin interconnects not 4 pin xlr balanced hp. Cables, Ok
OK mate that's great thanks

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #682 of 18,907

Rob Watts said you can just buy an adapter to run a pair of headphones off the XLR outputs in the back, if you happen to need the extra power.

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #683 of 18,907
Rob Watts said you can just buy an adapter to run a pair of headphones off the XLR outputs in the back, if you happen to need the extra power.
A bloke on eBay can fit 2 female 3 pin XLR onto the headphone cable with 2.5 mm plugs for the nighthawk?Not saying I need more power but the nighthawk scales better with a better amp,I know it's the same amp but more power,I'm guessing it's two cores on the 2.5mm side so I would be using just two of the pins off the balanced?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #684 of 18,907
If you have an se plug, the tt2 with gain has way more power than any can would need. I’m an amp guy as well but... sure balanced out doubles v but unless you are stuck with only a 4 pin balanced cable, an adapter isn’t necessary?

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #685 of 18,907
I've ordered a cable with the se plug for now but I want to use the balanced connections on the back for my headphones, I'm sure it's possible,I need to speak to Rob watts, he only lives a couple of mansions down from me

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #686 of 18,907
I've ordered a cable with the se plug for now but I want to use the balanced connections on the back for my headphones, I'm sure it's possible,I need to speak to Rob watts, he only lives a couple of mansions down from me
Paul,
I’ve been thinking about this too. If I understand correctly, you’ll need a balanced cable for your headphones, with the amp end terminated in twin 3-pin female XLR plugs. I’m not sure how easy to come by these are; those that do offer twin 3-pin XLRs tend to offer male plugs.
I’m hanging on to my LCD-4s until I try them with my TT 2. I’m pretty sure the SE output will be plenty, but I may be tempted to explore the balanced option too. Now it’s just a waiting game!

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #687 of 18,907
any cable manufacturer can assemble an adapter from 2X3 pin female to 4 pin female connector like moon-audio in states or forza audio in europe(just for example)
i don´t understand what the problem is:ksc75smile:

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #688 of 18,907
any cable manufacturer can assemble an adapter from 2X3 pin female to 4 pin female connector like moon-audio in states or forza audio in europe(just for example)
i don´t understand what the problem is:ksc75smile:
The problem is I want to go female twin XLR then the other end connected into my nighthawk 2.5mm twin,you can connect speakers directly from the balanced XLR outputs so surely a headphone is like two stereo speakers only smaller

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #689 of 18,907
The nighthawk doesn’t need that much power, SE out of TT 2 would be plenty. In fact, the nighthawks power handing is only 1.5 Watts, too many watts might not be good for the driver either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back