Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 27, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #2,191 of 18,905
Rob should only need a few sentences, to explain his views regarding MQA.
Whoever asked the question doesn't follow Head-Fi.

Rob just showed a slide of the two waveforms and asked what is preferred.

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #2,193 of 18,905
Got my black TT 2 with Mscaler today. Very nice sounding.

Have any one with the TT2 having problems with the remote control not working?
I suggest contact Chord customer support.
There was a recent case where an MScaler was shipped with the wrong remote.
[edited] The user manual shows that the IR Filter glass is the large clear glass on the TT2 top - so I think that is clear glass, and probably not causing you problems. The manual also says that you need line of sight between the remote and the IR Filter glass.
Hopefully Chord support should be able to advise.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #2,194 of 18,905
I promised a couple of people who pm’d me that I would write up some comments on the Hugo TT 2 that I was among the first to receive. It’s taken a little longer than I expected but here it is

First, some context. I listen exclusively to headphones, mostly to Focal Utopia with Prion4 cable but also to HE1000v2 (also with Prion4) and LCD-4. I listen mainly to the various forms of classical, jazz and acoustic music. In striving for the best sound I can get within my means my priority is clean detail and then getting as near to authoritative natural tones as I can without significantly compromising on detail.

My full system is set out in my signature but I thought it would be useful to most of you if in comparing the Hugo TT 2 to my DAVE (with and without the M Scaler) I kept things simple, so I used my AK380 DAP (running off battery) connected via optical as the source. DAVE, Hugo TT 2 and M Scaler all used the supplied bnc cables, power cables and power supplies. I also used the supplied cables with each of the headphones. Everything was plugged into a Shunyata Venom UK6, which in turn was connected to the wall socket with a Shunyata Alpha HC cable.

The Hugo TT 2 is a very fine standalone dac/headphone amp. It concedes some detail (still very good detail), transparency and depth to the DAVE but offers more weight, a more natural tone and generally lends greater authority to music playing through my headphones.

Using the TT 2’s low gain setting, which I assume to be roughly equivalent to that of the DAVE’s output (Rob?), music was already more natural sounding, warmer and a little more authoritative than with the DAVE. But switching to high gain increased weight and authority even further, and with little or no sacrifice. It did this with all three headphones, even the relatively easy to drive Utopia. Only rarely did I prefer low gain to high gain, and only when I felt a track would benefit from slightly more prominent detail and air. I would expect most who have a DAVE and feel they need a dedicated headphone amp to properly drive their headphones would not feel that way with a Hugo TT 2.

The M Scaler elevated the TT 2 in the same way it does the DAVE - more presence, realism and smoothness - but the differences between DAVE and TT 2 were still there. With TT 2 on high gain, I was almost out of my seat imagining myself playing all the instruments on the jam-like ‘Blues for Los Angeles’ from Bill Frissell’s Gone, Just like a train album. The saxophone on ‘Forever …’ from Andy Sheppard’s album Romaria was simply haunting in contrast with the double bass. The brass sections in part 2 of Malcolm Arnold’s second symphony (with Richard Hickox and LSO on Chandos) were dynamic, clean and soaring. There was a believable weight and sole to Sol Gabetta’s cello playing in Elgar’s cello concerto. Piano playing on numerous classical and jazz tracks had believable leading edge weight. Antonio Forcione's latin jazz guitar playing on his live album was suitably weighty, tight and dynamic.

It will be a matter of personal taste but I felt the Utopia and HE1000v2 were particularly good pairings with the TT 2, especially the Utopia, which benefitted from the extra warmth and body. The LCD-4, which I am not getting on that well with at the moment, sounded a little too warm with relatively low levels of detail, and there was still that prominent upper-mid/lower-top issue that can sound quite off-putting with (for example) classical music and saxophone/trumpet-led jazz, if less so with rock.

Frankly, the Hugo TT 2 was good enough to cause me to think carefully about what DAC I preferred. Ultimately, and given my preference for detail, it still has to be the DAVE (just), which I feel I can add (and am already adding) some of the qualities of the TT 2 to with improvements to other areas of my system. But if the TT 2 had come out first and I owned it along with the M Scaler, I am not sure I would then have felt the need to upgrade to the DAVE.

IMHO, those thinking of buying a Hugo TT 2, either as a stand-alone dac, or with the M scaler, can do so with confidence. Having owned a Hugo 2 for a few months until trading in earlier this year, I can say that the Hugo TT 2 kicks that into the long grass for over-ear headphone use.

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #2,195 of 18,905
Rob should only need a few sentences, to explain his views regarding MQA.
Whoever asked the question doesn't follow Head-Fi.

I can’t blame them for not following head-fi.

Head-fi can be so * retentive at times, it’s scary.

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #2,196 of 18,905
I promised a couple of people who pm’d me that I would write up some comments on the Hugo TT 2 that I was among the first to receive. It’s taken a little longer than I expected but here it is

First, some context. I listen exclusively to headphones, mostly to Focal Utopia with Prion4 cable but also to HE1000v2 (also with Prion4) and LCD-4. I listen mainly to the various forms of classical, jazz and acoustic music. In striving for the best sound I can get within my means my priority is clean detail and then getting as near to authoritative natural tones as I can without significantly compromising on detail.

My full system is set out in my signature but I thought it would be useful to most of you if in comparing the Hugo TT 2 to my DAVE (with and without the M Scaler) I kept things simple, so I used my AK380 DAP (running off battery) connected via optical as the source. DAVE, Hugo TT 2 and M Scaler all used the supplied bnc cables, power cables and power supplies. I also used the supplied cables with each of the headphones. Everything was plugged into a Shunyata Venom UK6, which in turn was connected to the wall socket with a Shunyata Alpha HC cable.

The Hugo TT 2 is a very fine standalone dac/headphone amp. It concedes some detail (still very good detail), transparency and depth to the DAVE but offers more weight, a more natural tone and generally lends greater authority to music playing through my headphones.

Using the TT 2’s low gain setting, which I assume to be roughly equivalent to that of the DAVE’s output (Rob?), music was already more natural sounding, warmer and a little more authoritative than with the DAVE. But switching to high gain increased weight and authority even further, and with little or no sacrifice. It did this with all three headphones, even the relatively easy to drive Utopia. Only rarely did I prefer low gain to high gain, and only when I felt a track would benefit from slightly more prominent detail and air. I would expect most who have a DAVE and feel they need a dedicated headphone amp to properly drive their headphones would not feel that way with a Hugo TT 2.

The M Scaler elevated the TT 2 in the same way it does the DAVE - more presence, realism and smoothness - but the differences between DAVE and TT 2 were still there. With TT 2 on high gain, I was almost out of my seat imagining myself playing all the instruments on the jam-like ‘Blues for Los Angeles’ from Bill Frissell’s Gone, Just like a train album. The saxophone on ‘Forever …’ from Andy Sheppard’s album Romaria was simply haunting in contrast with the double bass. The brass sections in part 2 of Malcolm Arnold’s second symphony (with Richard Hickox and LSO on Chandos) were dynamic, clean and soaring. There was a believable weight and sole to Sol Gabetta’s cello playing in Elgar’s cello concerto. Piano playing on numerous classical and jazz tracks had believable leading edge weight. Antonio Forcione's latin jazz guitar playing on his live album was suitably weighty, tight and dynamic.

It will be a matter of personal taste but I felt the Utopia and HE1000v2 were particularly good pairings with the TT 2, especially the Utopia, which benefitted from the extra warmth and body. The LCD-4, which I am not getting on that well with at the moment, sounded a little too warm with relatively low levels of detail, and there was still that prominent upper-mid/lower-top issue that can sound quite off-putting with (for example) classical music and saxophone/trumpet-led jazz, if less so with rock.

Frankly, the Hugo TT 2 was good enough to cause me to think carefully about what DAC I preferred. Ultimately, and given my preference for detail, it still has to be the DAVE (just), which I feel I can add (and am already adding) some of the qualities of the TT 2 to with improvements to other areas of my system. But if the TT 2 had come out first and I owned it along with the M Scaler, I am not sure I would then have felt the need to upgrade to the DAVE.

IMHO, those thinking of buying a Hugo TT 2, either as a stand-alone dac, or with the M scaler, can do so with confidence. Having owned a Hugo 2 for a few months until trading in earlier this year, I can say that the Hugo TT 2 kicks that into the long grass for over-ear headphone use.

Nice, nice.

My Mscaler should be arriving soon and probably nearer xmas time, I will grab a TT2, as I think using Hugo 2 with the Mscaler is just a stop gap solution. My first pre-order was a rushed order created by the excitement of it’s release and getting carried away with myself/everyone else. I re thought the decision and decided I would just get the MScaler instead. But I have read that some people are not overly excited with their new mscaler, and I think it could be because of Hugo 2.

Hugo 2 is good, no doubt about it, but I think TT2 and up would give the best results from the mscaler. So I will grab a TT2 when it’s possible.

Then I can finally use hugo as a mobile device ( which I have always wanted ) when 2go gets released.

Great first impression post though, enjoy :)

Oct 27, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #2,197 of 18,905
For those who've listened to both the DAVE and the TT 2 has the TT 2 narrowed the gap considerably since the original TT or is the DAVE still leagues ahead in resolution?

Had the DAVE/HMS, sold the DAVE for the TT2. Just listening to the TT2/HMS now.

I would say if DAVE /HMS is 9/10, then the TT2/HMS is 7/10. Very close I would say. DAVE on it's own is probably a little more than TT2 on it's own.

Very impressed with TT2/HMS, and I don't miss the DAVE now.

Also tried the HUGO2/HMS, and the TT2/HMS is much better also.

After trying the whole Chord DAC range. In my own opinion, I would say the TT2/HMS is probably the best value out of all them.

Oct 27, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #2,198 of 18,905

Thanks for this!

Anyone find a good option for cables to power speakers? These are the only ones I’ve been able to locate, and they don’t look that high quality:
https://www.ebay.com/p/6ft-CablesOn...ana-Plug-to-XLR-Jacks-Audio-Cables/2223940880

Oct 27, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #2,199 of 18,905
I suggest contact Chord customer support.
There was a recent case where an MScaler was shipped with the wrong remote.
There were teething troubles with some MScalers, because their IR Filter glass was too dark to allow the remote to operate at distance.
Hopefully there are not similar issues with some TT2, but Chord support should be able to advise.

It seems mine was shipped with the DAVE remote control instead. Thanks for that

Oct 27, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #2,200 of 18,905
Thanks for this!

Anyone find a good option for cables to power speakers? These are the only ones I’ve been able to locate, and they don’t look that high quality:
https://www.ebay.com/p/6ft-CablesOn...ana-Plug-to-XLR-Jacks-Audio-Cables/2223940880

In a very early post in the TT2 thread Rob Watts suggested that these adapters would work to banana speaker cables, not sure if he used them and if they are good but may be of interest to try? https://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/ac...4mm-in-line-sockets-cable-set-372.html#SID=81

Oct 27, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #2,202 of 18,905
But switching to high gain increased weight and authority even further, and with little or no sacrifice.

Thanks for the write up!

One quick question, did you accurately volume match between low and high gain?

Oct 27, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #2,203 of 18,905
Hi Rob,

My music is mostly all flac files, 44.1 - 192khz, and a few albums that are dsd 128 and 256. The rest, are CBR mp3’s 128 - 320.
My system is a Hugo 2 connected to my PC, which uses a digital psu Corsair AX1600i, I’m unsure if a digital psu helps with rfi compared to a normal psu ( the fan doesn’t need to spin on this psu ), and my motherboard has spread spectrum enabled, which I’m also unsure if that will help with RFI. As far as I’m aware, I don’t suffer from rfi problems but maybe I do but just don’t know it ? My headphones are Sennheiser HD800S, fingers crossed that my gear is enough to get the best out of your mscaler.

Some people are saying that the mscaler is susceptible to rfi, if its near a wifi router etc. Does it suffer from rfi easily ?

It’s good to hear from yourself that it’s for everyone and not just audiophiles with a good ear for music. I personally can’t wait for it to be delivered.

Thanks Rob, fingers crossed for a next week delivery :)

The Hugo M scaler is not sensitive to RFI, and happy listening next week!

Thanks again @Rob Watts

Here's a subjective, non technical question since I am considering the M-Scaler. In your listening experience, would you say the TT2 + Hugo M-Scaler sounded better than the DAVE stand-alone? Did the M-Scaler make up for the lower pulse array element count in the TT2?

Dave is more transparent; but timbre variation,tempo and flow, and instrument separation is better with the Hugo M scaler/TT2. Some prefer Dave, some M scaler/TT2...

Oct 27, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #2,205 of 18,905
Had the DAVE/HMS, sold the DAVE for the TT2. Just listening to the TT2/HMS now.

I would say if DAVE /HMS is 9/10, then the TT2/HMS is 7/10. Very close I would say. DAVE on it's own is probably a little more than TT2 on it's own.

Very impressed with TT2/HMS, and I don't miss the DAVE now.

Also tried the HUGO2/HMS, and the TT2/HMS is much better also.

After trying the whole Chord DAC range. In my own opinion, I would say the TT2/HMS is probably the best value out of all them.
This is great. Thank you.
How would you rate Qutest/Mscaler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back