Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 27, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #2,176 of 18,886
I think the 10 elements against 20 is a contributor to Dave being more transparent than TT2; and this is for a number of rather complex reasons! Both 10e and 20e have balanced transitions in the pulse array; this is the primary reason why pulse array is so master clock jitter insensitive.

Of course a volume control can never be bit perfect, unless it is set to 1.00000.... But the concept that is useful is does the volume control change the sound quality; and to do this one has to ensure that the signal within the audio bandwidth is identical apart from gain changes; and I achieve this with an advanced noise shaper. This sounds much more transparent than just adding dither, and I can test the performance by using a -301 dB 6 kHz test signal, and checking that the digital module will reproduce a -301 dB signal perfectly with zero amplitude errors; and the Verilog volume module does indeed do this. All my code has to pass this test now; and it is a crazy level of perfection, but listening tests has revealed that we can actually hear the slightest small signal error, no matter how small.

So no not bit perfect; but within the audio bandwidth no distortion or noise added (to a -350dB accuracy).

Thanks again @Rob Watts

Here's a subjective, non technical question since I am considering the M-Scaler. In your listening experience, would you say the TT2 + Hugo M-Scaler sounded better than the DAVE stand-alone? Did the M-Scaler make up for the lower pulse array element count in the TT2?

Oct 27, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #2,177 of 18,886
Course you not a traitor, all in the Chord world! If you go, let me know, we can meet for a chat. I’m setting off from Essex now with my wife, they can speak while we discuss TTs and Scalers!
Alright mate, I'm setting off now with the Mrs, won't get there til after 1 as its a three and a half hour drive, worth it to meet Rob watts

Oct 27, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #2,178 of 18,886
Amber, I think you might be picking up on a comment from someone using my cables and where they had a dect phone station and a wifi router near the MScaler + Dave. I am not sure whether the proximity of the dect station and a wifi router turned out to be an issue or not and if it did then it might equally have been due to the RF noise from those getting into the Dave rather than getting into the MScaler. Perhaps @Antiquarian can chime in as it was they who had the possible issue and I think the WAVE cable solved it in any case.
I had a DECT wireless phone base station within 1 m of my HiFi stack, I was not aware of it causing problems until I tested the WAVE Stream cables. The 1m cable performed so much better than the 60cm cable for me that I thought there must be another explanation so I moved the DECT base station to a location 4m from the HiFi stack. The SQ has definitely improved since doing this so my conclusion is that the DAVE is very sensitive in dual bnc mode. Even with the proximity of external 2GHz radiators (DECT & WiFi) the Stream cables performed admirably.

Oct 27, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #2,179 of 18,886
Amber, I think you might be picking up on a comment from someone using my cables and where they had a dect phone station and a wifi router near the MScaler + Dave. I am not sure whether the proximity of the dect station and a wifi router turned out to be an issue or not and if it did then it might equally have been due to the RF noise from those getting into the Dave rather than getting into the MScaler. Perhaps @Antiquarian can chime in as it was they who had the possible issue and I think the WAVE cable solved it in any case.

Where I want to positiom the Mscaler and Hugo 2, to the right of it is a wireless phone,and to the left is a 6 aerial wifi router. Asus RT AC3200. I have 0 rfi problems that I know of, but then again, maybe I do ?

Why I say that is, I have mojo/poly and Hugo 2, and when listening with iem’s, mojo sounds excellent, but Hugo 2 not. H2 sits ontop of and at the front of my pc, which is directly between the wifi router and my landline phone, which is wireless,

Mojo sounds infinitely better than Hugo 2 when using iem’s, so much so that I will never again use iem’s on Hugo,

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Hugo 2 is bad. Far from it, it’s just that I find it not as good with iems as mojo is. Could that be caused by rfi or is it just the case that Hugo 2 is aiming towards a reference sound, where mojo sounds that little bit darker

I don’t know, but I will do some testing when my mscaler gets here, as I envisioned placing it where Hugo is positioned now.
No doubt I will figure it all out when it arrives and I can do some testing.

Thanks.

Oct 27, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #2,180 of 18,886
I had a DECT wireless phone base station within 1 m of my HiFi stack, I was not aware of it causing problems until I tested the WAVE Stream cables. The 1m cable performed so much better than the 60cm cable for me that I thought there must be another explanation so I moved the DECT base station to a location 4m from the HiFi stack. The SQ has definitely improved since doing this so my conclusion is that the DAVE is very sensitive in dual bnc mode. Even with the proximity of external 2GHz radiators (DECT & WiFi) the Stream cables performed admirably.

My hugo 2 is half a metre from my wirelesss landline phone on the right, and less than half a metre away from my wifi router on the left. I can move things about. I will test things when it gets here.

Thanks.

Oct 27, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #2,181 of 18,886
Where I want to positiom the Mscaler and Hugo 2, to the right of it is a wireless phone,and to the left is a 6 aerial wifi router. Asus RT AC3200. I have 0 rfi problems that I know of, but then again, maybe I do ?

Why I say that is, I have mojo/poly and Hugo 2, and when listening with iem’s, mojo sounds excellent, but Hugo 2 not. H2 sits ontop of and at the front of my pc, which is directly between the wifi router and my landline phone, which is wireless,

Mojo sounds infinitely better than Hugo 2 when using iem’s, so much so that I will never again use iem’s on Hugo,

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Hugo 2 is bad. Far from it, it’s just that I find it not as good with iems as mojo is. Could that be caused by rfi or is it just the case that Hugo 2 is aiming towards a reference sound, where mojo sounds that little bit darker

I don’t know, but I will do some testing when my mscaler gets here, as I envisioned placing it where Hugo is positioned now.
No doubt I will figure it all out when it arrives and I can do some testing.

Thanks.

I find the Mojo and Hugo 2 both good with my IEMs. (I only have a lowly £350 pair of AKG N40, but they are stunning. They are often available cheaper.) Since buying my N40 I have often had both Hugo 2 and Mojo sat next to me on the desk. Not sure why exactly I started doing that though. .. However I was staggered when I plugged the N40 into the Mojo. I did however find the Hugo 2 respectively better. (Hugo 2 has more detail laid out in a wider stage.)

In practice I will often just listen to the Mojo though. In all reality, if I only ever had a Mojo and the AKG N40 forever, I would be OK for life. (Besides wanting speakers too.) I always prefer going to the Hugo 2 though, because it's clearer, silkier, and smoother. (On reflection the Hugo 2, shows the Mojo has a little grain.)

Hugo 2 is a whole other story again, on my amp and speakers.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #2,182 of 18,886
Alright mate, I'm setting off now with the Mrs, won't get there til after 1 as its a three and a half hour drive, worth it to meet Rob watts

I’m in a light blue top, come and say hello, may be out for an hour or so lunchtime as combining my cheaper hobby (Geocaching) with visit. Be good to meet you. Had a good chat with Rob as got here early before it’s filled up. Will post a few pics in m Scaler thread if get a bit more signal out in the country here, near Biggleswade. Down on the farm at Hifi Lounge. Lovely place, you been here before?

Oct 27, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #2,183 of 18,886
I’m in a light blue top, come and say hello, may be out for an hour or so lunchtime as combining my cheaper hobby (Geocaching) with visit. Be good to meet you. Had a good chat with Rob as got here early before it’s filled up. Will post a few pics in m Scaler thread if get a bit more signal out in the country here, near Biggleswade. Down on the farm at Hifi Lounge. Lovely place, you been here before?

Have a great day.

Oct 27, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #2,184 of 18,886
Have a great day.

First into Headphone room!

33D7907E-569F-40A8-8955-54E81E227EE0.jpeg

Oct 27, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #2,187 of 18,886
Now I see why you folks go to these events. Make straight for the TT 2 and M-Scaler, and all those incredible headphones to try.

What's not to like?

I did, see pic on Scaler thread :)

Oct 27, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #2,188 of 18,886
Looks like you are the only person in a light blue top.

Wondered where everyone was! Getting seats for Robs talk and Q&A. Oh dear, MQA has just been mentioned :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back