Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 20, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #2,071 of 18,907
To anyone out there with a HTT2

I've just read the manual, and it says the HTT2 enters headphone mode when a headphone is inserted. This makes sense. However, I'm wondering if the HTT2 will recognise if a headphone is connected to the XLR outputs on the back via an adapter? If it won't, I assume you just use AMP mode?

Thanks.

It's not gonna know what's plugged into the XLR connectors. Plugging something into there won't automatically activate headphone mode, that is only for the headphone jacks.

Oct 20, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #2,072 of 18,907
It's not gonna know what's plugged into the XLR connectors. Plugging something into there won't automatically activate headphone mode, that is only for the headphone jacks.

Yeah thats what I figured. Amp mode it is :thumbsup:

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #2,073 of 18,907
Is the Blu MKii and M-scaler just the same thing, with the mkii being a CD transport slapped on? This would pull DAVE to 5th really...
To anyone out there with a HTT2

I've just read the manual, and it says the HTT2 enters headphone mode when a headphone is inserted. This makes sense. However, I'm wondering if the HTT2 will recognise if a headphone is connected to the XLR outputs on the back via an adapter? If it won't, I assume you just use AMP mode?

Thanks.

People say that is what I should do in the case I want to use my custom XLR HP cable. Its hard finding those Female 2x3-pin to female 4-pin xlr adaptors.

It can be done, you can use such an adaptor to drive HP's off the XLR outputs of the TT2 using its pre-amp (amp mode), however there is a danger here - because there is no HP mode to protect you, you can accidentally switch over to DAC mode - in this mode the output line level is fixed to 2.5V and you have no hardware that can attenuate the signal meaning you could potentially blow apart both your ears and HP's.

I would have rather Chord included an XLR output at the front panel... this is another reason why I would use my iCAN Pro.

TT2 warning.JPG

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #2,074 of 18,907
in this mode the output line level is fixed to 2.5V and you have no hardware that can attenuate the signal meaning you could potentially blow apart both your ears and HP's.

FYI, there is no hardware to attenuate the output in any mode, it’s all digital volume control in Rob’s DACs.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #2,075 of 18,907
FYI, there is no hardware to attenuate the output in any mode, it’s all digital volume control in Rob’s DACs.

I meant at the output / analogue end downstream, i.e. an amplifier that your HP's may be connected to or a powered speaker with it's own ability to attenuate the signal.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #2,076 of 18,907
Unless you have balanced cable headphones, there is no need for a balanced port on the front of the TT2.

1. The single ended output has enough power for any headphones, or so I believe.
2. Chord DACs do not need a balanced output, since they don't have the issue that balanced ports solved.

I think the balanced on the rear is just for convenience. I can't imagine why anyone would want to drive headphones from the rear ports.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your post, Rusty.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #2,077 of 18,907
I want to give running headphones from the rear XLR's a chance with the Susvara (which is damn near the same sensitivity as the HE6.) I'm definitely going to give it a go from headphone output as well, but for the cost of an adapter (not too much) I figure it is worth a shot as Rob Watts said it is possible, so why not give it a try.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #2,078 of 18,907
Unless you have balanced cable headphones, there is no need for a balanced port on the front of the TT2.

1. The single ended output has enough power for any headphones, or so I believe.
2. Chord DACs do not need a balanced output, since they don't have the issue that balanced ports solved.

I think the balanced on the rear is just for convenience. I can't imagine why anyone would want to drive headphones from the rear ports.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your post, Rusty.

No worries, I understand the TT2 has extremely good measurements meaning it does not need to be inherently balanced throughout to mitigate issues along the signal path, all I am saying is it is possible to drive headphones off the rear XLR outputs because Chord have not included XLR outputs at the front panel for convenience as there are people out there with custom XLR cables, balanced headphones etc etc...

Besides, I am a big fan of XLR; it is superior to standard SE outputs both mechanically and electrically (if you need its electrical benefits).

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #2,079 of 18,907
I want to give running headphones from the rear XLR's a chance with the Susvara (which is damn near the same sensitivity as the HE6.) I'm definitely going to give it a go from headphone output as well, but for the cost of an adapter (not too much) I figure it is worth a shot as Rob Watts said it is possible, so why not give it a try.

I suggest using something like this rather than plugging HP's directly into the XLR ports.

https://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p...F_h1hy2-mMD_MdkKrufEaGSyiWtCXk8xoCMkkQAvD_BwE

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #2,080 of 18,907

Likewise, I'll be testing the Susvara (and Abyss Phi CC hopefully) out of both the front headphone jack and the dual 3-pin XLR. To see if the Susvara really needs the extra juice.

I suggest using something like this rather than plugging HP's directly into the XLR ports.

https://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p...F_h1hy2-mMD_MdkKrufEaGSyiWtCXk8xoCMkkQAvD_BwE

Seems unnecessary since you can control the volume on the Hugo TT 2 itself.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #2,081 of 18,907
Likewise, I'll be testing the Susvara (and Abyss Phi CC hopefully) out of both the front headphone jack and the dual 3-pin XLR. To see if the Susvara really needs the extra juice.

Seems unnecessary since you can control the volume on the Hugo TT 2 itself.

This is just a precaution, see my post #2073 above.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #2,082 of 18,907
Even though Rob says there is no scenario where the balanced connection will be needed for headphones as the SE is so powerful by default? I'm learning i think:thinking:.

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #2,083 of 18,907
Even though Rob says there is no scenario where the balanced connection will be needed for headphones as the SE is so powerful by default? I'm learning i think:thinking:.

Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with output power, signal quality or the actual NEED for an XLR HP output, forget all that. This is about convenience; see my post #2078 above.

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #2,084 of 18,907
For all,

Here is a YouTube sound demo of the TT2 with M-Scaler -> Chord amp and speakers. Obviously not reflective of what the two together would sound like in person...

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #2,085 of 18,907
Georgie Fame's version is better. imho...:sun_with_face::sun_with_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back