Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 19, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #2,041 of 18,851
I sold my black Dave and preordered silver TT 2. Now when I see all these black TT 2s all over internet, I'm not sure about my colour decision... Anyway, I wouldn't mix different colours of Hugo TT 2 and M Scaler. M Scaler looks much better in silver imho.

Hi, Just wondered why you sold your DAVE for the TT2? I'm also selling my blave Dave for a black TT2 with Mscaler. I hope I'm not going to regret it.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #2,042 of 18,851
Hi, Just wondered why you sold your DAVE for the TT2? I'm also selling my blave Dave for a black TT2 with Mscaler. I hope I'm not going to regret it.

You might do . . . . I plugged my Dave direct into a friend's active ATC SCM40A speakers this week and it was an OMG moment. (I hate OMG but I was speechless). He had just bought the ATC SCM40A active speakers and was trawling around for a preamp. Now he knows he doesn't need one.

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #2,043 of 18,851
When I heard blu2 with Dave - it had a lot more special sauce then hugo2 with mscaler. This is based on just a 1 hour audition of Dave at at a dealers.
I’m sure people who actually own these bits of kit can be more authoritative!
Maybe also tt2 will fall short...

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #2,044 of 18,851
It's a 4K issue so obviously nothing less than near perfection will do. You want the decision to be the right one.:atm: I viewed a you tube video of a silver tt and that looks great. Does anyone know if the original surface finish has been carried over from tt to tt2 for black and silver?

Buy whatever color you want and, if in the future the color gets to you, ask chord if they would sell you a different colored case. Or buy a tin of silver or black spray paint. Pick gloss black or metallic, as matte won’t look good on a tt2 or an mscaler. From the pic’s that I have seen, the black mscaler doesn’t look as good as hugo’s black color.

If you go for the ghetto mod look, just remember to make sure the tin of spray paint is heat resistant and immune to flaking off as the devices heat up.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #2,045 of 18,851
It's a 4K issue so obviously nothing less than near perfection will do. You want the decision to be the right one.:atm: I viewed a you tube video of a silver tt and that looks great. Does anyone know if the original surface finish has been carried over from tt to tt2 for black and silver?
Have to consider resale - if someone else will want to buy a mismatch from you.

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #2,046 of 18,851
For fixated and everyone else. I may upgrade my h2 to a tt2 by xmas but i find myself in a dilemma. My mscaler is silver which i prefer hands down over the black. With the tt2 it's the opposite i prefer black over silver so in this case however i feel they should be the same colour. Can different colours match or look right? I know some people also agonise over the colour it's not just me.
If you want to I could send you what's left of the metallic blue, spray-paint I used to patch up some scratches on my aging car last week,and paint both dark blue?
PS. Do you still like the SQ of your M-scaler?

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #2,047 of 18,851

I'm pretty sure about my decision. Dave will remain reference DAC from Chord for a while. If i would have enough money, I would keep it and purchase Blu 2 alongside with original Chord stand, so I would be able to build nice rack but my wallet is currently not as thick. I definitely want to try magic of M Scaler. Hugo TT 2 is great product. In my case, when I will use it with LCD-4 headphones, it might be even step further, as when driving them straight from Dave, I always felt little bit lack of dynamic in comparison with Dave + Moon 430HA combo, but this combo wasn't as transparent as Dave alone on the other hand. Now I hope that this issue will be solved by tons of power, which Hugo TT 2 can output and I will get magic of Chord's second best DAC in the best possible way.

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #2,048 of 18,851
You might do . . . . I plugged my Dave direct into a friend's active ATC SCM40A speakers this week and it was an OMG moment. (I hate OMG but I was speechless). He had just bought the ATC SCM40A active speakers and was trawling around for a preamp. Now he knows he doesn't need one.

Very interesting! Better than your system and would you consider getting them? Next time bring your M-scalar and let us know your thoughts as I have considered that combination to be optimal based on other positive feedback I have read on the speakers...

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #2,049 of 18,851
Triode User said:

Very interesting! Better than your system and would you consider getting them? Next time bring your M-scalar and let us know your thoughts as I have considered that combination to be optimal based on other positive feedback I have read on the speakers...

I currently use the TT with the ATC SCM40's, and it's a wonderfully simple sublime combination.

TT2 & M-Scaler "should" arrive next week subject to Chord receiving stock of packing boxes.

Having heard the TT2/M-Scaler combination at the Festival Of Sound Show in London, I think it's going to be amazing!

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #2,050 of 18,851
Triode User said:

I currently use the TT with the ATC SCM40's, and it's a wonderfully simple sublime combination.

TT2 & M-Scaler "should" arrive next week subject to Chord receiving stock of packing boxes.

Having heard the TT2/M-Scaler combination at the Festival Of Sound Show in London, I think it's going to be amazing!

My mentioned friend used to have the ATC SCM40s (passive) and I admit I never really heard them ‘on song’ but the active versions are something else and are seriously impressive speakers IMO.

Oct 19, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #2,051 of 18,851
Hard to beat active speakers. My little computer setup is a pair of Focal Shape 40 speakers driven by Chord Mojo and the depth and width of the soundstage is simply amazing. When you do a crossover before amplification, magic happens. Even better when I added a ifi iTube2 between Mojo and Focals.

Thinking about replacing my main setup with active speakers.

Oct 19, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #2,052 of 18,851
I think part of it is that the amp does not see the difficult load of the crossover and instead each amp just sees the individual driver load which is much more benign.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #2,053 of 18,851
Dave on its own without mscaler due to finances or TT2 and Mscaler end game?? Which option would everyone go for now that the options are more varied and require more cash injection? Serious analysis welcomed as this is what i may or may not do. I was just initially going to replace hugo2 with tt2 but now dave has gatecrashed the party. I have mscaler but very quickly realised tt2 is needed for a proper home set up and for me h2 is a compromise i cannot accept having already spent this much.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #2,054 of 18,851
I pulled out my Ether Flow after a few weeks and I think I am going to do the following. I still am amazed how they sound compared to my inexpensive Shure SE215 that I wear doing chores around the house. Sell Qutest and get the TT 2. Some time next year get the mScaler probably after auditioning it at London CanJam. Looking forward to meeting @paul2qute and others there! At some point afterwards get an electrostat energizer (Blue Hawaii???) and pick up a pair of Mr. Speakers VOCE. Following this find a little corner in the house and hide from my daughter, LOL

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #2,055 of 18,851
Dave on its own without mscaler due to finances or TT2 and Mscaler end game?? Which option would everyone go for now that the options are more varied and require more cash injection? Serious analysis welcomed as this is what i may or may not do. I was just initially going to replace hugo2 with tt2 but now dave has gatecrashed the party. I have mscaler but very quickly realised tt2 is needed for a proper home set up and for me h2 is a compromise i cannot accept having already spent this much.
I have DAVE and blu2 I’ll rather TT2 and Mscaler, then Dave on its own.

I’m currently selling my Dave and blu2 to get TT2 and mscaler. Doing this is going to free nearly £4000 cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back