Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 21, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #2,086 of 18,907
For all,

Here is a YouTube sound demo of the TT2 with M-Scaler -> Chord amp and speakers. Obviously not reflective of what the two together would sound like in person...

Not my sort of music at all and I always wonder why they play stuff like this at shows. Much better, IMHO, is something like Fink, Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet, which also shows the system off better.

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #2,087 of 18,907
Not my sort of music at all and I always wonder why they play stuff like this at shows. Much better, IMHO, is something like Fink, Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet, which also shows the system off better.

My guess is they tend to play inoffensive,muzak style, non revealing stuff like this at shows and in dealers shops JUST because it will NOT reveal any obvious limitations in any decent system.
If on the other hand one tries very well recorded full scale Symphonic or Operatic it becomes MUCH easier to sort the wheat from the chaff IMO!
Cheers Christer

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #2,089 of 18,907
Ouch ! The aptly named Colin, sounding like a YTS employee on his first day. Could someone "with the technical knowledge" not have sat him down for a couple of hours & explained the basics to him before he went to Denver ?

YTS brings back some memories.

All of them bad.

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #2,090 of 18,907
For all,
Here is a YouTube sound demo of the TT2 with M-Scaler -> Chord amp and speakers. Obviously not reflective of what the two together would sound like in person...

Interestingly I also attended a different Innuos Zenith SE and Innuos Statement show demo with both being swopped over into a Dave. The difference was very compelling and very easy to hear with the Statement being less harsh and darker in its presentation. All classic signs of RF and EMI noise having been reduced and it is was an impressive and convincing show demonstration.

As an aside I also listened to the same swop but this time going into a Blu Mk2 MScaler and via STORM Reference dual BNC cables into the Dave. The difference between the SE and Statement in that system was much reduced and was much less compelling. In fact to my ears was now difficult to tell them apart. Whether it was the effect of the Blu2 or whether it was the effect of the cables filtering the RF noise I do not know because there was limited time available to investigate.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #2,091 of 18,907
Even though Rob says there is no scenario where the balanced connection will be needed for headphones as the SE is so powerful by default? I'm learning i think:thinking:.

Yeah. On paper, the normal SE output of the Hugo TT 2 has more than enough power for the Susvara (83 dB/mW @ 60 ohms) and the SE output is more transparent due to it being more "direct" and having fewer components in the signal path. But, it's worth trying I think. I purchased a 4-pin XLR to dual 3-pin XLR adapter from Norne Audio to test this out. I can't wait, although I'll have to since the TT 2 is still about 2 months away.

Also

3RR9KTB.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2,092 of 18,907
i will take your word..i have the dave/blu2 and it simply cannot properly drive the susvara..period....perhaps you are right about the TT2...if so thats great...we shall hear soon enough

How things have changed in Chord threads, its like we went from agreeing on providing the minimum required power or less for what headphones need now to super powerful output on the TT2 being the best.

Oct 21, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #2,093 of 18,907
It's not a question of which dac is better or not but more a question and understanding of basic scientific principles grounded in solid physics. Chord dacs satisfy the two previous mentioned requirements whereas until now no other manufacturer has been able to. These 20k dacs may very well sound great but just do not possess the musicality that even a 400 pound mojo does and the reason for this is due to the two points i mentioned. These are not mere opinions or even my opinion but solid scientific principles engineered into a useable end product. Anyone critical of this post is also critical of Albert Einstein.

Have you heard them?

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #2,094 of 18,907
Can anyone advise on using an AK380 as transport with a TT2?

Looking to upgrade while still making use of my DAP. Is it easy / advisable to connect AK player to TT2 and (if so) what sort of sonic improvements might I expect?

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Oct 22, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #2,095 of 18,907
Can anyone advise on using an AK380 as transport with a TT2?

Looking to upgrade while still making use of my DAP. Is it easy / advisable to connect AK player to TT2 and (if so) what sort of sonic improvements might I expect?

Apologies if this has been discussed before.
With a bit of time on my hands I decided to spend some of it comparing my Chord DAVE with the Hugo TT 2 I received just over a week ago, both with and without the M Scaler. I’ve only just started this exercise but decided to begin by using my AK380 as source and connecting this to the dacs with the cheap optical cable that came with one or other of my Chord devices. In short, it works just fine as a transport, delivering a very good alround sound that it takes some effort to match from other sources that connect via usb. But it is not the most convenient source for me to use.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #2,096 of 18,907
With a bit of time on my hands I decided to spend some of it comparing my Chord DAVE with the Hugo TT 2 I received just over a week ago, both with and without the M Scaler. I’ve only just started this exercise but decided to begin by using my AK380 as source and connecting this to the dacs with the cheap optical cable that came with one or other of my Chord devices. In short, it works just fine as a transport, delivering a very good alround sound that it takes some effort to match from other sources that connect via usb. But it is not the most convenient source for me to use.
Thanks for that. I take it it's a big step-up from the AK380 on its own?

Oct 22, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #2,097 of 18,907
Thanks for that. I take it it's a big step-up from the AK380 on its own?
I haven't any iems at the moment to try, and the AK380 without amp is not really up to driving my headphones properly. But I can say from when I did have iems that the original Hugo was a clear improvement over the dac within the AK380 as well as providing more power, and the Hugo 2 even more so.

Oct 22, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #2,098 of 18,907
It makes me wonder why Chord haven't manufactured a convenient, user-friendly transport to use with their DACs.

Oct 22, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #2,099 of 18,907
It makes me wonder why Chord haven't manufactured a convenient, user-friendly transport to use with their DACs.

Chord have (co-)developed the Poly as an add-on for the Mojo, but the software has not been easy, and it is more streaming-orientated than a card reader. 2Go is an add-on scheduled for the Hugo2.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2,100 of 18,907
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back