Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 31, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #2,416 of 18,442
Strange for at least two blu2 owners claim my amphenol punch well above their weight price wise.

"I have the Amphenol RF and it punches way above it's weight. It's a thin cable but don't let that bother you."

"I have also tried the Amphenol RF coax cables and agree that they do punch above their weight and are great value for money. I found them to be a bit more open and revealing than my Chord Signature."

And for £17 pounds each i totally agree. Mine are the Belden 4855R which is important to note.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #2,417 of 18,442
Here is my concern. I am following this thread and it has become quite active. Almost 20-30 posts per day. I am waiting to audition the TT 2, which at this rate will hit a dealer I will be near after my trip to Atlanta, so may have to purchase without it. GIven the cost and my finances I cannot buy the mScaler as a pair. I am trying to learn as much as I can along the way so I don't have to start reading late Spring 2019

I don't understand why based on the video presentation given by @Rob Watts explaining the benefits of 1 MILLION TAPS that people have already heavily been discussing making it smoother. This device is so new and unique personally I think any change in sound at this point without measurement may be barking up the wrong tree. I get wanting improvement but are we talking 1% or .0001%??? Noisy mains I get, they have devices to clean the power. Once past that I am still waiting to hear the results of DOUBLE BLIND testing. Sound is so subjective! If any ferrite cable on mScaler can pass a double blind test with 4 participants, I'll buy a cable...

It’s a common misconception that if you can’t provide a technical explanation for something, it can’t exist.

Sadly, this is the basis for people that believe the earth is flat

I did not mean to be grumpy. That was not my intention.

I could provide you with an entire technical manual explaining how your ignition works with measurable and repeatable stats.

RFI can certainly be influencing the sound that you hear. That is subjective. It is questionable as to whether you and others on this thread should make the presumption that the HMS or Dave are flawed because of RFI. All I am saying is that I believe it would be useful to be able to measure the RFI and not solely rely on a person’s subjective opinion.

I am the very happy owner of a HMS/Dave front end and revel in its sound quality. I would like to see the measurements that would explain to me why I’m not getting the maximum quality of sound based on other’s subjective opinions.

I do not mean to be antagonistic or grumpy. I would just like to be able to measure whether my system is performing at the best level possible. My ears tell me I have a pretty remarkable sounding system. I just get tired being constantly harangued by posters about how much beter my sound could be if I just added this or that to my system. Since the only value available to quantify this is a subjective one, why should I assume that what you hear is the same as what I hear. I think it would be helpful to those of us who enjoy our HMS/Dave straight out of the box if there was a separate thread just for tweakers.

Double blind testing will reveal the answer.

Sure. How gravity works, the origin of life, dark matter, dark energy, etc.
1. Gravity: F = Gm1m2/r2
2. Depends on your religious beliefs
3 and 4 are current theories
:ksc75smile:

I'd honestly like this to stay on the mScaler but the tweaking has become more important sadly than the product itself. Why can't people just be happy

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #2,418 of 18,442
Err no explanation of trump ?

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #2,421 of 18,442
I did not mean to be grumpy. That was not my intention.

I could provide you with an entire technical manual explaining how your ignition works with measurable and repeatable stats.

RFI can certainly be influencing the sound that you hear. That is subjective. It is questionable as to whether you and others on this thread should make the presumption that the HMS or Dave are flawed because of RFI. All I am saying is that I believe it would be useful to be able to measure the RFI and not solely rely on a person’s subjective opinion.

I am the very happy owner of a HMS/Dave front end and revel in its sound quality. I would like to see the measurements that would explain to me why I’m not getting the maximum quality of sound based on other’s subjective opinions.

I do not mean to be antagonistic or grumpy. I would just like to be able to measure whether my system is performing at the best level possible. My ears tell me I have a pretty remarkable sounding system. I just get tired being constantly harangued by posters about how much beter my sound could be if I just added this or that to my system. Since the only value available to quantify this is a subjective one, why should I assume that what you hear is the same as what I hear. I think it would be helpful to those of us who enjoy our HMS/Dave straight out of the box if there was a separate thread just for tweakers.

I made no presumption the HMS was flawed due to RFI. The Dave itself isn’t. I have found however, that the Dave does benefit from a different mains cable, though I don’t know why.

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #2,422 of 18,442
The fact that this thread is getting multiple daily hits is evidence enough that the product is delivering more than anyone could have hoped for. It sounds absolutely different to ANY other audio product out there. A gem that will go down in the historical record of audio advancement much like cd players did in the 1980's. Other products will be forgotten. Nothing to concern you at all dawk. The obsessive tweakers should be taken with a pinch of salt as they are just trying to enhance their investment so it's just fun as long as it doesn't disguise the real magic that the mscaler brings to music reproduction. Hell i even bought some amphenol rf cables myself so i guess that makes me an official tweaker or somin too.:nerd:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #2,423 of 18,442
Err no explanation of trump ?
Let's say I had a patient this week wearing a Confederate army officers hat...

No more discussion about that

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #2,424 of 18,442
Are you a physician dawk? a real honour.

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #2,425 of 18,442
Oct 31, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #2,426 of 18,442
A great addition to our community if i may say so.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #2,427 of 18,442
These are mine Jawed. [...] (095-850-187M100 Amphenol RF) 75ohm 1m. Cable Belden 4855R.
Ah, so I was wrong, that isn't the cable that someone else said they disliked.

Also not sure if they are the same Amphenol cables in this review. They didn’t get any thumbs up. YMMV must apply I guess.

https://audiobacon.net/2018/08/11/the-audiophiles-short-list-the-best-digital-coaxial-cables/2/
The Belden product code, 4855R indicates they're the same. The same cable is also used in the Blue Jeans cable that he tested (though he didn't specifically note a similarity in sound quality). The connectors are the obvious difference between the Amphenol and Blue Jeans. Length might be a factor, too, I suppose.

Jay isn't someone whose opinion I attach much value to, since he and Romaz had a fundamental disagreement with Rob in the joint listening comparisons: they strongly disliked the darkest sound that Rob aims for:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831343/page-196#post-14103674

Though, to be fair, his description of the problems with the 4855R based cables is very much along the lines of what I would associate with a "bad RF" situation. But I would expect that to be the case, since Blu 2 is a "bad RF" situation and a cable without ferrites is doomed. Doomed, I tell you. Doomed.

The very strong RF filtering within HMS might make the differences among those cables very small.

Next, what equipment rack sounds best? Whoops.

Now playing: King Tubby & Soul Syndicate - Great Stone

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #2,428 of 18,442
How does one setup the mscaler for it’s maximum potential ?

I just want to double check.

On the mscaler I have it setup so the lights are like this, going from left to right.

1, Unlit light 2, white, 3, white, 4, red, 5, unlit, 6, unlit.

On Hugo I have the 1, filter light as white, 2, input is a light blue colour, 3, xphd is off and 4, hugos power ball is charging.

Hugo’s glass window looks like a blue colour.

Are the above settings good for upto 768khz or have I got something wrong ?

@Rob Watts and everyone else.

Are my settings correct ?

Cheers.

Edit,

Musickid kindly confirmed my settings, which were spot on, thanks to @ZappaMan and @musickid for the help in setting the mscaler up.

All the lights were confusing to start with. I don’t know why as I can navigate mojo and Hugo 2 with my eyes closed, but all the lights were overwhelming and to be honest, the manual didn’t help.

One question, can I hook this upto mojo ? As I’m sure I read that there was a special 768khz operation option in mojos manual. Anybody ?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #2,429 of 18,442
a quote from the Mscaler manual:

With a thick, solid aluminium chassis,
the Hugo M Scaler’s casework largely
protects the sensitive internal circuitry
from radio frequency interference.
However, for optimal performance, it is
recommended that the following points
are observed:
1. Consider placing the
Hugo M Scaler away from