Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 1, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #2,431 of 18,491
Mojo's 768kHz special ops (operation) is top secret and only employed when any one of the chosen Chord mojo's are deployed on her Majesty's Secret Service. Tread carefully.:zero::zero::seven:

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #2,433 of 18,491
Seriously though what is the link between mojo and 768khz? I wonder why this was in the design.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #2,434 of 18,491
I wonder if there's a Mojo 2 coming in the next year or so and it will have the dual coaxial capability that the Hugo 2 has, for 705kHz/768kHz.

Though, if a Mojo 2 were to come out, really, I'd just want it to be a DAP, maybe using a third party software like Hiby for the player portion, with a screen and physical player control buttons. Right now, I'm spending more mobile audio time with the R6 than the MojoPoly because it's just that much more convenient.

But if the Mojo 2 were a DAP, with dual coax input like the Hugo 2, it'd be pretty wicked cool. M Scaler connectivity for home use, and a full DAP on the road. Yeah, I would buy that.

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #2,435 of 18,491
Still no one tried Mojo + Mscaler, just to see what half a million taps would do for it?
I gave it a quick go... it’s really nice. It has the same - reality giving aspect - that I got with h2. Voices seem natural. Guitars - drums more 3d. Engaging.
Listening to Monsanto years - Neil Young - such an amusing album - in a dark sense - for anyone who thinks corporate takeover of society is a bad thing.

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #2,436 of 18,491
@Rob Watts could you help me out with this one... if I wanted to tinker and see how to make things smoother... do you know the names of the ferrites I could search for?

What frequencies they’d be blocking etc?

If these things only cost a few pound then it makes sense to evaluate them - and report back our subjective opinions.

The clip on ferrites don't work with the Hugo M scaler - and I have tried this a number of times. I suspect it's down to the gap that a clip-on has interfering with the built in filtering.

The sound quality is slightly brighter and flatter with the clip on type ferrites, which implies that RF noise levels is actually in totality worse; which is really weird. I expected them to make no difference, not actually sound slightly worse.

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #2,437 of 18,491
I actually tried ferrites but they didn’t make any difference. I’ll look into the power cables somebody mentioned above.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #2,438 of 18,491
Still no one tried Mojo + Mscaler, just to see what half a million taps would do for it?

I’ll do it, no harm no foul.

Aslong as someone at chord says it’s ok to do so.

If hooking it up is gunna kill my mojo, I’ll pass, as my mojo poly combo is too valuable to me to lose them.

A question, those with mscalers, do you leave it powered on all the time, or do you switch it off at the wall socket ?

Is it safe to be left on all the time ? @Rob Watts

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #2,439 of 18,491
Jay isn't someone whose opinion I attach much value to, since he and Romaz had a fundamental disagreement with Rob in the joint listening comparisons: they strongly disliked the darkest sound that Rob aims for:

Since then Jay has taken more advice and has now moved to be aligned with Rob Watts in thinking that the darkest sound is the best and most accurate when selecting bnc digital cables. I know this because he told me when he recently bought a pair of my cables.

Nov 1, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #2,440 of 18,491
Since then Jay has taken more advice and has now moved to be aligned with Rob Watts in thinking that the darkest sound is the best and most accurate when selecting bnc digital cables. I know this because he told me when he recently bought a pair of my cables.

Just to be clear, Nick: do clip on type ferrite cables such as yours make the HMS sound slightly worse, as Rob says - brighter and flatter?

Nov 1, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #2,441 of 18,491
Just to be clear, Nick: do clip on type ferrite cables such as yours make the HMS sound slightly worse, as Rob says - brighter and flatter?

EDIT - I have just noticed that @Crgreen said "clip on type ferrite cables such as yours". To clarify, mine are not clip on ferrites and are solid core. It is only the clip on ferrites which seem to make HMS worse, not the solid core ferrites that I use. Sorry about any confusion.

Clip on ferrites do make HMS worse when I tried but not solid core ferrites. Two customers have also tried and have also said the same to me about split core ferrites as well. So all that seems to accord with the reported joint RW/Jay/Romaz listening session where clip ons made it worse but as RW has pointed out, that was with an earlier prototype version and not a production HMS so that cannot necessarily be carried through as being relevant to the production HMS.

One thought put to me is that it might be the looseness of the two halves of split core ferrites resonating. Another thought put to me by an RF engineer is that at the frequencies we are dealing with the slot/gap between the two halves of clip on (split core) ferrites might act as a lens which might direct the RF noise back into the cable.

As an aside for any budding DIY, the spacing of the ferrites has an effect on the affected frequencies.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #2,442 of 18,491
Yes they do when I tried. Two customers have also tried and have also said the same to me as well. So all that seems to accord with the reported joint RW/Jay/Romaz listening session where clip ons made it worse but as RW has pointed out, that was with an earlier prototype version and not a production HMS so that cannot necessarily be carried through as being relevant to the production HMS.

One thought put to me is that it might be the looseness of the two halves of split core ferrites resonating. Another thought put to me by an RF engineer is that at the frequencies we are dealing with the slot/gap between the two halves of clip on (split core) ferrites might act as a lens which might direct the RF noise back into the cable.

As an aside for any budding DIY, the spacing of the ferrites has an effect on the affected frequencies.

But since you tried on a production HMS, and got the same results, doesn’t that mean it does carry through?

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #2,443 of 18,491
But since you tried on a production HMS, and got the same results, doesn’t that mean it does carry through?

Yes, for my listening results and those who have told me what they also hear.

I wanted to give the full background to the RW/Romaz/Jay session though rather than miss out pertinent information (use of a protoype) especially as it was the first mention of the 'clip on ferrites make it worse' scenario.

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #2,444 of 18,491
Yes, for my listening results and those who have told me what they also hear.

I wanted to give the full background to the RW/Romaz/Jay session though rather than miss out pertinent information (use of a protoype) especially as it was the first mention of the 'clip on ferrites make it worse' scenario.

Thanks, that’s useful. In the light of this, like the poster above, I’d be interested to know how Rob thinks the HMS can be made to sound smoother.

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #2,445 of 18,491
Thanks, that’s useful. In the light of this, like the poster above, I’d be interested to know how Rob thinks the HMS can be made to sound smoother.

Of course and RW will speak for himself but I am sure the first point he will make is that it does not need to be made smoother and that it is properly treated for RF internally. I am not disagreeing with any of that. What I am discussing is fine tuning and optimisation of a component in a similar vein to most aspects of our obsessive hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back