Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 1, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #2,447 of 18,495
Over the last month or so @Whazzzup raised some good questions in this thread, that were relevant to me too. So, now that I have finally received my M Scaler, I am getting my answers, which I am going to share below for the benefit of others having the same doubts. As usual, YMMV.

Before I’d shell out 7000 plus bucks cad for an upscaler, and care less about fr,taps,or whatevs. What about the sound? I mean that’s what it’s all about. I could see benefits from a noisy computer, but what about from a quality source. I still don’t get what’s happening? I mean what’s happening to already pinpoint accurate super black, in the note bubble 3d feel. Does it throw down even more bass authority than already present? Clean up what’s already clean. Push mids ?

How so, compared to a good server? Or a good server versus noisy Mac or pc. What are we comparing?

Before buying the HMS, I added to my system an Innuos ZENith MkII SE server, while I was using a laptop off batteries, with several audio tweaks implemented on it. The ZENith SE should be in the same ballpark of the Antipodes DX @Whazzzup is using, and other so-called "high-end servers". It improved my system over the PC, but not quite as much as I expected given the investment.
I don't know if it was the reported DAVE low sensitivity to the upstream source, or the optimizations I made in my laptop, or because I was running it off batteries (thus cutting off some of the power-related noise sources), but the amount of upgrade I was expecting based on reviews and other users feedback did not occur to my ears and in my system.

Now, adding the HMS the sound quality improvement is so MUCH more apparent than what I got from the SE server.

In short, all the qualities I tend to associate to very good analog (and to live music, of course), like palpability, ease of flow, lack of harshness / glare, musicality (whatever that means) have been to a large extent added to my rig.

It is such a large and easy to detect improvement that recalls me when I upgraded to the DAVE coming from a much cheaper DAC.

A great source is good for everything, as mine is

I am furiously moving within my 1000+ album library from classical to jazz to pop to rock to solo vocals and there has not been a single time I had the impression I was listening to a new, better, system since the HMS is in the chain. Just can't take off my headphones :)

Jeepers guys there should be no brain curve, no ferrites, no glare. Sure some servers improve after a few days, whether it’s noticeable is debatable. Upscale I have no idea if there is brain burn in or physical burn in. The immersion should be immediate and sustained, of course better masters increase the wow. I’m following this thread but as of late, a little taken back....

No burn in for me. I was expecting some - just me adapting to the new sound presentation - but since I have plugged the HMS on, I have been captured by the music and after just a few minutes I began stopping analyzing it looking for differences and let go to pure enjoyment - not typical of me at all.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #2,448 of 18,495
The ZENith SE should be in the same ballpark of the Antipodes DX @Whazzzup is using, and other so-called "high-end servers". It improved my system over the PC, but not quite as much as I expected given the investment.
The Zenith SE benefits from a better power cable. Not sure if you have already tried this.

Nov 1, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #2,449 of 18,495
Over the last month or so @Whazzzup raised some good questions in this thread, that were relevant to me too. So, now that I have finally received my M Scaler, I am getting my answers, which I am going to share below for the benefit of others having the same doubts. As usual, YMMV.

Before buying the HMS, I added to my system an Innuos ZENith MkII SE server, while I was using a laptop off batteries, with several audio tweaks implemented on it. The ZENith SE should be in the same ballpark of the Antipodes DX @Whazzzup is using, and other so-called "high-end servers". It improved my system over the PC, but not quite as much as I expected given the investment.
I don't know if it was the reported DAVE low sensitivity to the upstream source, or the optimizations I made in my laptop, or because I was running it off batteries (thus cutting off some of the power-related noise sources), but the amount of upgrade I was expecting based on reviews and other users feedback did not occur to my ears and in my system.

Now, adding the HMS the sound quality improvement is so MUCH more apparent than those I got from the SE server.

In short, all the qualities I tend to associate to very good analog (and to live music, of course), like palpability, ease of flow, lack of harshness / glare, musicality (whatever that means) have been to a large extent added to my rig.

It is such a large and easy to detect improvement that recalls me when I upgraded to the DAVE coming from a much cheaper DAC.

I am furiously moving within my 1000+ album library from classical to jazz to pop to rock to solo vocals and there has not been a single time I had the impression I was listening to a new, better, system since the HMS is in the chain. Just can't take off my headphones :)

No burn in for me. I was expecting some - just me adapting to the new sound presentation - but since I have plugged the HMS on, I have been captured by the music and after just a few minutes I began stopping analyzing it looking for differences and let go to pure enjoyment - not typical of me at all.

This is the correct response to an M Scaler.

Nov 1, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #2,451 of 18,495

Now, adding the HMS the sound quality improvement is so MUCH more apparent than those I got from the SE server.

Thanks for this, I guess I found DX more impressive upgrade with my TT than the se did in your system. However good to hear the hms made a quality difference. The DX for me was a serious improvement, I guess hms could take it up a level. But once we get up to this level it’s difficult to say hey guys with TT have you tested zenith vs DX with and without hms, but thx seems like there is more gains to be had. But frankly I’m good for now, i know, can you beleive that...

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #2,452 of 18,495
Thanks, that’s useful. In the light of this, like the poster above, I’d be interested to know how Rob thinks the HMS can be made to sound smoother.

I am not Rob but I have an answer that I suppose you won´t get from him.
I heard the HMS (owned by a friend from another forum) with a SBooster power supply (15V) and it sounded less bright, mostly in the upper midths. This was clearly detectable. I also found the HMS sound cleaner with a more accurate soundstage.

I can understand though that there are people who would prefer the stock supply because it has more treble energy (and this may sound as you get more details and more air), but maybe this is the effect of noise coming into your system via the stock supply. For people which want to have less brightness with their HMS a better power supply could be a worthable upgrade - if there hadn´t been a claim from Chord that you void your warranty.

BTW, I know that a Paul Hynes SR4 has a similar effect if you want the HMS to sound smoother.

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #2,453 of 18,495
I heard the HMS (owned by a friend from another forum) with a SBooster power supply (15V) and it sounded less bright, mostly in the upper midths. This was clearly detectable. I also found the HMS sound cleaner with a more accurate soundstage.

I can understand though that there are people who would prefer the stock supply because it has more treble energy (and this may sound as you get more details and more air), but maybe this is the effect of noise coming into your system via the stock supply. For people which want to have less brightness with their HMS a better power supply could be a worthable upgrade - if there hadn´t been a claim from Chord that you void your warranty.

BTW, I know that a Paul Hynes SR4 has a similar effect if you want the HMS to sound smoother.
Rob has posted that he tested a batch of power supplies, and the supplied power supply was the only one that met the chord specs, and contained a RF filter. So there are good reasons why Chord want owners to use the supplied power supply.
Here is another of robs posts https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.885042/page-81#post-14483036

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #2,454 of 18,495
Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #2,455 of 18,495
Suppose it’s like everything, when you make a change, you really notice it, then you stop noticing. Then you go back to the way it was and it now sounds amazing again. Just brain burn in I supppse.
I’m very happy with my mscaler, just using the supplier cables, it really gives me a good dose of euphoria, which is all I can ask for.

Nov 1, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #2,456 of 18,495

Sounds like RF pollution if one accepts the standard reason for brightness, more detail, and air.

Nov 1, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #2,457 of 18,495
Suppose it’s like everything, when you make a change, you really notice it, then you stop noticing. Then you go back to the way it was and it now sounds amazing again. Just brain burn in I supppse.
I’m very happy with my mscaler, just using the supplier cables, it really gives me a good dose of euphoria, which is all I can ask for.

Yes, you are right with that. Therefore everyone needs to think twice if you really need expensive cables and power supplies. But there are some people who are more sensitive to brightness than others and tend to find listening fatiguing if they don´t find ways to eliminate brightness. In that case I don´t find an investment of around 400 Euros too expensive.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #2,458 of 18,495
Yes, you are right with that. Therefore everyone needs to think twice if you really need expensive cables and power supplies. But there are some people who are more sensitive to brightness than others and tend to find listening fatiguing if they don´t find ways to eliminate brightness. In that case I don´t find an investment of around 400 Euros too expensive.

Have you got your hundreds of dollars worth of BNC cables to work at all sample rates yet?

Nov 1, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #2,459 of 18,495
i suppose this is a good example of why people want to mod the sq- not that it’s deficient but they want it slightly differently.

Nov 1, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2,460 of 18,495
Does anyone use the HMS also in the office in combination with the Hugo 2 for example?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back