Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
May 15, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #3,526 of 3,643
Yes, stock it is terrible. The XM3 I am talking about. However, once you spend 10 minutes with a very user-friendly equalizer such as the FIR EQ built into Onkyo HF Player and cut away the bass bloat the XM3 is fantastic sounding, truly fantastic. I feel bad for people who form an opinion of what the XM3 is capable of sounding like based on a stock tuning audition. The XM3, once liberated from the terrible stock muddiness is really something, and it is portable, wireless, comfortable as can be and it has still class leading/equal NC.

I honestly have no clue why people often are so negative about EQ'ing. In the end, it's the enjoyment that music gives you what counts. I spend time in studios on a regular basis, not because of work but because of interest. And what I see is that studio engineers are as human as the rest of us. Mastering and mixing activities take place in the same construct as the rest of us listening to music. In principle they look for equipment that is as neutral and resolving as possible. But in reality their decisions on how to position the various elements in the end mix is as dependent of their equipment as their own hearing capabilities. An engineer I know decided on redoing a number of his masterings simply because he no longer liked the end result after having replaced a studio DAC with another brand. :) ... I used to be adamant on not wanting to influence any signal path by means of frequency adjustments, but nowadays I simply think the end result and the enjoyment it brings is what counts. I have no issue anymore boosting or mellowing a certain frequency if that brings me fingersnapping foot tapping enjoyment :)

May 15, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #3,527 of 3,643
My problem with EQ'ing is that I primarily use my headphones to listen to TV or video games, and EQ'ing is not an option.
Therefore my headphones have to sound great to me without EQ'ing.

May 15, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #3,528 of 3,643
About XM3: I actually have more problems with the presence region in the upper mids. That sounds a bit too amplified and artificial to me. Bass doesn't bother me as much because I listen at moderate to low volume. I don't find this headphone "muddy" at all. It's just the boosted bass. The lower mids region has body and warmth just as I like, vocals sound full, but a bit artificial in the upper mids. The general impression of the sound is that is too processed. Sounds digital. This happens when the sound is manipulated with DSP, the classic analog cable doesn't allow this (I mean classic headphones with no DAC/AMP).

About EQ: I used it a lot several years ago when I was searching for my preferred headphones. Since I found them (all that's listed in my signature), I didn't have to use EQ no more, and I'm not willing to go back to using it. IMO EQ helps but doesn't change the backbone of the headphone. Dialing down problematic frequencies in EQ is not the same as tuning a headphone in the factory.

Now some questions for those that listened to both XM3 and XM4:
I see some opinions that with the XM4 the higher mids section is boosted even more and the warmth in the vocals is less... vocals sound drier. I also saw some comments that with a new firmware update they are better regarding this matters and more in line with the XM3. Is this true? How do they compare soundwise?

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #3,530 of 3,643
Search says there is no mention of the B&O H95.

I've been living with these for a few months now and they are nearly the best BT headphones I have tried. (all comments are with ABTX-HD, or LDAC on the Mobius): The Audeze Mobius are tiny bit more musical, but it is close. The trouble with the Mobius is they are too fragile. I am on my second set and they are beginning to creak and complain as I put them on. They are not designed for life on the move, so now they are my over-specced conference call headset..

So, I am the opposite of a bass head. It find anything above flat gets in the way of the music. It blurs the timing and overwhelms the sound with mud. I love my old HD-800. Unfortunately Beats ruined that for all of us and now the norm and preference is for boosted bass. I find even the old Harman curve is too much bass. So bear that in mind when reading this. I like Audeze Sine, Oppo PM3, EX1000, K371, HD800.

So the H95 have Harman curve bass, with an uptick of sub bass for punch. Is is not ideal for me, but FAR better than the offerings from B&W, Sony ANC WMxxxx, Sennheiser Momentum. They manage to add this bass without spoiling the rest. The top end has as bit of extra presence, but not AirPod levels. So while not neutral, they are MUCH better than previous B&O BT offerings, where presumably the marketing department tuned them instead of the in-house "Audiomeisters". I remember their project manager handing me an early sample of the H2 with pride. Shockingly bad tuning, and such a downward step from the original H9 wired, but he was a customer so i kept quite.

The Airpod Max are initially more impressive, but in the end they are a bit clinical and rhythmically sterile compared to the H95. And the bass thud is getting beyond what I can enjoy. H95 flows better.

The ANC is great, but I lake the experience to qualify it compared to others.

H95 is beautiful to behold, exciting but not fatiguing, detailed but well integrated, and most of all musical. Shame it is so expensive. I won't comment on soundstage, because, well, soundstaging in a headphone is nonsense really isn't it.

By the way, another recommendation for the AKG K371 & 361BT. I hear the BT versions may not be quite as good, but the wired K371 is a bargin.

May 21, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #3,531 of 3,643
Creative Jam V2.
Basic model with modern protocols and connectors, normal runtime, good ergonomics and relatively good sound.
The feature of the model is zero sound insulation, which imitates the nature of the sound of open cans.
If these sound anything like Koss Porta Pro, I'm very interested. So how's the sound? I'd like something on the warm to dark side, full-bodied vocals, punchy bass and relaxed upper mid to treble.

May 22, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #3,532 of 3,643
If these sound anything like Koss Porta Pro, I'm very interested. So how's the sound? I'd like something on the warm to dark side, full-bodied vocals, punchy bass and relaxed upper mid to treble.
I have not listened to the port so there will be no comparison. For my taste - the model has no pronounced accents in the balance.
They're not bad, but don't expect too much from them ... 30mm is 30mm.

If similarity to the sound of open cans is not a priority - just check out the other options. In this price segment, I recommend status bt one.

May 22, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #3,533 of 3,643
I have not listened to the port so there will be no comparison. For my taste - the model has no pronounced accents in the balance.
They're not bad, but don't expect too much from them ... 30mm is 30mm.

If similarity to the sound of open cans is not a priority - just check out the other options. In this price segment, I recommend status bt one.
Hmm... your description sounds good to me :)
I learned to run when I hear "the sound is very clear" or "excellent detail retrieval" and to investigate more when I hear "they're unimpressive, muddy or boring" :)
One has to learn to interpret descriptions people give, read between the words and adapt to his preferences.
Just sold the PX100-II for a bit more than I bought them :p, and I think I'll try the Jam V2.

About Status BT One - If they're on-ear I only like the foam ones like the Jam V2, so I'll look into this over-ears instead
https://www.status.co/products/flagshipanc
https://www.amazon.com/Status-Flagship-Headphones-Cancelling-Bluetooth/dp/B08PDD3PGC
they're also very interesting.

Thanks!

May 28, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #3,534 of 3,643
@vs3x and all

Hey, I have the Creative Sound Blaster Jam V2 for three days now :)

Soundwise, they're ok... but comparing with Koss Porta Pro it makes you wonder and appreciate how good of a headphone the Porta Pro is!
The Porta Pro is much more open sounding, with better... everything :) : better separation and sound stage, better resolution, tighter bass, cleaner mids, really on another level. It is still warm sounding but the Jam V2 sounds darker and a bit boxy and closed-in in comparison. Too bad the wireless version of Porta Pro sucks... with that wire in the back of the neck. That is not wireless for me...

That being said, the Jam V2 is still a nice headphone for the light-weight and Bluetooth convenience with a big "BUT"...
But... it had to be FORCED literally to sit properly on my ears.
It has no articulation! Only the length of the headband can be adjusted. The cups are fixed at an angle that plays well with flap-ears but for straight ears they don't sit properly, large gaps in the back. I had to use hot air blower and twist the headband arms to make them straight... Now they're ok, but such a design flaw...

Jun 2, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #3,535 of 3,643
Yes, stock it is terrible. The XM3 I am talking about. However, once you spend 10 minutes with a very user-friendly equalizer such as the FIR EQ built into Onkyo HF Player and cut away the bass bloat the XM3 is fantastic sounding, truly fantastic. I feel bad for people who form an opinion of what the XM3 is capable of sounding like based on a stock tuning audition. The XM3, once liberated from the terrible stock muddiness is really something, and it is portable, wireless, comfortable as can be and it has still class leading/equal NC.
I have to disagree. I EQ everything. The Aonic 50 and the Phiaton 900 just murder the Xm3 and xm4. It's not even close. The lagoon also sounds better. The xm4 is better than thr V moda 200anc. That's a piece of garbage. I bought all 4 plus Lagoon and compared. I kept the Phiatons and Shure and sent the other 3 back. Compared the px7 as well. Man that was disappointing. I had high hopes for it.

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #3,536 of 3,643
I have to disagree. I EQ everything. The Aonic 50 and the Phiaton 900 just murder the Xm3 and xm4. It's not even close. The lagoon also sounds better. The xm4 is better than thr V moda 200anc. That's a piece of garbage. I bought all 4 plus Lagoon and compared. I kept the Phiatons and Shure and sent the other 3 back. Compared the px7 as well. Man that was disappointing. I had high hopes for it.
No right or wrong, I would be shocked if they "murdered" the XM3 once it was equalized, but for you they do so that is all that matters. Subjective preferences and that is why we try new signatures, looking for our perfect headphone. I'm glad that you found those headphones so enjoyable. I may try the Shure, but past Shure listens left me very underwhelmed, like with AKG I found the sound somewhat etched and too detail focused for my liking. Still, the Aonic 50 does get a lot of love so might be worth a try from Amazon. I also have the KEF Space One Wireless which I really like.

Jun 4, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #3,537 of 3,643
For sure, by "murdered" I mean greater detail and clarity with a wider stage. I don't care too much about how they are tuned from the factory, as I change it to how how I want them regardless. I have not heard other Shure headphones, but really like these. They do sound better without ANC on. I tried the KEF space ones, and found that they sounded really good without ANC, but not great with it. Shure still sound good with it, but even better without. The Phiatons may be more up your alley though. Bassier, sound really good with ANC on, and they look very similar to the Sony's, plus they are only $200. The Shure's downside is that they look goofy. Just too big. Either one is a marked improvment over the Sony, except when it comes to actual noise cancelling, so it depends on if your goal is best ANC (Sony) or best sound (Shure). Best of luck!

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #3,539 of 3,643
Has anyone tried had the Anker Q30? Any recommendations for less than $100 ANC? headphones?
Non-audiophile here. I tried a few of the ~$100 BT headphones, including the Q30.

Anker Soundcore Q30
Wyze
Monoprice BT600ANC

I like to be able to EQ, so the Monoprice were dropped for having poor app support (no EQ)
Wyze had problems when using my AppleTV that they would pause the video randomly.

I like the Q30, they are less bassy than the Wyze and the EQ works nicely. The earcups are deep enough and fit comfortably without clamping too hard, even with glasses on. I think for <$100 they will be hard to beat.
The one feature I liked better for Wyze was the transparency mode. By holding a hand over the R earcup, the sound was decreased to allow for conversation and removing the hand went back to the previous mode. The Anker R earcup switches from ANC on to off and then to Transparency mode but does not change back when removing the hand (it works like a button press, not like a hold switch if that makes sense). This is not a big deal since I don't use that often.

In the end, I decided to upgrade to the Q35 which automatically pauses when the headphones are removed.

I think that the Q30 or Q35 are hard to beat for casual use at that price.

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #3,540 of 3,643
No right or wrong, I would be shocked if they "murdered" the XM3 once it was equalized, but for you they do so that is all that matters. Subjective preferences and that is why we try new signatures, looking for our perfect headphone. I'm glad that you found those headphones so enjoyable. I may try the Shure, but past Shure listens left me very underwhelmed, like with AKG I found the sound somewhat etched and too detail focused for my liking. Still, the Aonic 50 does get a lot of love so might be worth a try from Amazon. I also have the KEF Space One Wireless which I really like.
I recently wrote impression how much I hate the Aonic 50. Nasty treble with no bass. It's unlistenable unless you want to damage your ears. Stick with the XM3 for your ear sake.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back