Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Feb 10, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #1,953 of 3,643
As a owner of the B&O H7, and being one that have used them pretty much several hours every day since December I can vouch for the touch controls can be annoying at time. But your surely get used to them. I don't really know what Siri support is supposed to mean? Is that some special microphone specification in order to support voice commands or something? I have never ever really thought about using Siri with wireless headphones to be honest.

The touch controls are not bad by any means. It's just that touch controls are inferior to physical buttons in terms of "ease of use". Going from the Beats Studio Wireless with physical buttons over to the B&O H7 with touch controls I felt like; Why not just use physical buttons? Having to do rotate motions in order to increase and lower volume feels somewhat stupid and takes quite a bit longer compared to simply clicking a button like on the Beat Studio Wireless. I have yet to have any trouble with getting the motion controls to work, but it simply takes longer time to get things done. And you have to keep rotating for something that feels like a rather long time to greatly increase or decrease the volume. Feels much more natural and efficient to just rapidly tap the button like on the Beats Studio Wireless.

But after using them for awhile it's not like the motion controls are remotely close to being a dealbreaker of any kind. And obviously B&O did go with touch controls in order to have a more fluid and simplistic design. And I can't really blame them.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #1,954 of 3,643
I recently bought my girlfriend the B&O BeoPlay H8. You know, when you upgrade yourself your better half don't enjoy being left behind in the dust... She did enjoy my B&O BeoPlay H7, but when arriving at the store they she spotted the beige H8's and instantly fell in love with the looks and design. And one can't really blame her, the beige model is darn good looking, especially for a women. You have a beige model of the H7 as well, but they weren't in stock and she didn't mind the darker soundstage of the H8's and didn't mind their on-ear design as the muffs are quite comfortable. After looking at pictures of the H7 beige model compared to the H8 we had to admit that the H7 don't look as good with it's silver and white finishes compared to the gold on the H8.

So she got the BeoPlay H8 and we get home and she was starting to use them while doing some cooking walking around using them wireless. She immediately complained about them skipping and disconnecting several times in a span of like five minutes. She was not moving more than 3-4 meters away from her iPhone 6S. So she ended up going back to her white and red Beats Studio Wireless for the time being. A few days later and one iOS update later she gave them another game with pretty much the same results.

I haven't had any time to take a look into this until today. And she has the Beats ones that works perfectly so there was no rush to get me to take a look at the problem.

So today I figured, hey let me use her H8's while doing some cleaning around the house. The exact same scenario I have used my H7 several times. Putting them on (and ignoring the dark colouring on the audio that I do not fancy) I started to notice one irritation thing straight away. While moving around, each time I set my foot down there is a noticeable hint of "click" in the lack of a better description from the headphones. I guess it's something to do with the noise cancellation, I have noticed something similar with the Beats Studio Wireless but only when sitting on the bus and there is a huge bump in the road or something. Having this noticeable thing in the audio for every step I take is rather horrible if you ask me.

But that's not the worst, it took me about half a minute until I noticed the same skipping as she described. It's not a matter of it happening every now and then, it happened pretty much instantaneously.. It seems to have something to do with range. Having my phone laying on my desk where I normally have it while cleaning the dishes etc.. Which works perfectly with my H7 and our Beats Studio Wireless is pretty much a no-go with the H8 without having skipping every 5-10 seconds in the audio.

I think okay, perhaps they have poor range so let me try to move my phone closer and have it on the kitchen bench located about 1,5 meters from where I stand washing the dishes with no obstacles or walls between and the connectivity is still pretty much useless.

I suppose her's H8's are defective? Surely such a horrible connectivity and bluetooth range is unacceptable?

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #1,955 of 3,643
Originally Posted by RamGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't really know what Siri support is supposed to mean?

With many wired headphones and some wireless, tapping the "call" button starts Siri. Apparently this doesn't happen with the H7's...

I'm still curious about the Zik 3's vs. MDR-1ABT's vs. H7's vs. MW60's, and think that supporting AAC is probably a requirement that bumps the Senns from being considered.

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,956 of 3,643
I suppose her's H8's are defective? Surely such a horrible connectivity and bluetooth range is unacceptable?

No they are not defective. The designer who made them is defective.
It is how they are. An horrible sub-par wireless range (which, well, you compared them to the Beats Studio Wireless which have one of the best ranges out there, so you have the two extremes, the best and the worst), and big problems with the ANC, as, yes, you guessed right, the bump you hear while walking is due to the ANC. Which means, you would not hear it without ANC, which you do not need at home.
But, the most expensive BT Headphone in History, to the date, just to look all fancy and chic, they have chosen materials which does not dump this vibration of the steps, they could not manage to give it an at least decent range, and if that was not enough, if you will ever keep them (don't) and will ever listen some bass heavy techno music with them, at max vol., with ANC active, you will notice a bad distortion caused by the ANC treating the bass as external noise and trying to "compensate it".

A very very very bad designed headphone which is not worth the half of what it costs.
(he spoke)

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #1,957 of 3,643

Sorry, I meant they don't support AAC streaming.

I'm going by the B&O store to try the H7's today, and will report back.

Also, anyone tried the Parrot Zik 3's? I'm leery of their lack of support for AAC and Apt-X and claims that it doesn't make a difference...

I personally very strongly disagree with Mr Parrot for his claim that Aptx and AAC don't make a differenc,e maybe he should go to a otolaryngologist and have his ears controlled.
Besides, I find it to say the least unacceptable the way he arrogantly ignores the requests of his fans who very vigorously and repeatedly asked to implement Aptx. It seems like a stubborn "matter of principle" thing, where he refuses to do something just because he said it is not needed and whatever his customers say he does not care.
This is not a good nor humble way to make business.
Anyway, that said (because one should, from time to time, speak the truth without diplomacy), the Parrot 2 sounded quite good. I did feel the lack of Aptx, but I do believe many people wouldn't.
It is true, there are many qualities of SBC, and the best one is almost as good as Aptx. But NOT as good.
Still, a good headphone with the best SBC can sound MUCH better than a bad headphone with Aptx.
And this is what the Zik do.
So, if you like their look and functions, go for them, give them a try.

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #1,958 of 3,643
  No they are not defective. The designer who made them is defective.
It is how they are. An horrible sub-par wireless range (which, well, you compared them to the Beats Studio Wireless which have one of the best ranges out there, so you have the two extremes, the best and the worst), and big problems with the ANC, as, yes, you guessed right, the bump you hear while walking is due to the ANC. Which means, you would not hear it without ANC, which you do not need at home.
But, the most expensive BT Headphone in History, to the date, just to look all fancy and chic, they have chosen materials which does not dump this vibration of the steps, they could not manage to give it an at least decent range, and if that was not enough, if you will ever keep them (don't) and will ever listen some bass heavy techno music with them, at max vol., with ANC active, you will notice a bad distortion caused by the ANC treating the bass as external noise and trying to "compensate it".

A very very very bad designed headphone which is not worth the half of what it costs.
(he spoke)

I guess I have to try to convince them to replace them with the H7 beige as those actually work. Hopefully B&O have some half-decent customer service and they are barely used.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,959 of 3,643
Originally Posted by Giogio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Stance are not much more comfortable than the Plantronics. The pads are oval, with the vertical diameter of just 3mm more than the Plantronics, but the horizontal is 4cm. They are as soft and as deep as the Plantronics.

Hi Gigio, 

I know you've said that the StanceS1+ are slightly more comfortable than the Backbeats. As someone who wears glasses, do you think this holds as well? The BB's are 9% heavier than the StanceS1+, and as you've mentioned, the BB's are more round-shaped than the Stance.

I'm seriously torn between the two. According to your reviews, the BB's are ranked better than the Stance's. I don't really care about the ANC (I think it's a gimmick anyways), but it does seem to have more features. I've compiled a list below of mutually exclusive features that are important to me (IE: I left out ANC since it's not important to me).

All this being said, would you still go with the BB's? Does wearing glasses change your perspective at all? (I've noticed that after an hour of wearing the Pendulumic's, my ears get sore from leaning against my glasses frames)

Also a totally random question: over-the-ears headphones are more comfortable for glasses wearers as opposed to on-ear headphones, correct?

Pros of Backbeats Pro:
Deeper bass
Sync to multiple devices
Dual microphones
Active mute when headphones taken off (not sure if this feature is annoying or useful)
Volume controls are reminiscent of the original iPod

Cons of Backbeats Pro:
9% heavier
Smaller pads
Design completely uninspired
????

Pros of Pendulumic Stance S1+
Totally love the unique design
Volume crown is ergonomic & easy to use
Slightly better battery life

Cons of Pendulumic Stance S1+
I really don't like where the power button is situated seeing how it's an awkward reach. The power button itself feels cheap and plasticky.
Annoying European volume limiter. 90% of the time I have it on full volume, and when I accidentally push the volume higher, I get a startling BEEP!!!

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #1,960 of 3,643

I guess I have to try to convince them to replace them with the H7 beige as those actually work. Hopefully B&O have some half-decent customer service and they are barely used.

convince them? You should make a scandal and put the shop upside down if they do not change them! Besides, you can be clever and say that AFTER noticing all these problems you have investigated and discovered that a lot of people complain of the same, and so if they prefer to go for the standard legal way they would have to replace the same model three times before giving you the money back. At that point they will have lost THREE, not one headphone.
Which btw they do not loose anything because it is a complaint under warranty and they give it back to B&O.
And, you do not want money back, you want another headphone (which is even more expensive, I suppose).
Anyway yes, B&O have a good Customer Service. Despite the partial failure of the H8 they are still one of the best Audio Companies in the world. And everybody makes mistakes.

I know you've said that the StanceS1+ are slightly more comfortable than the Backbeats.

I have never said that. Comfort is a subjective thing. And they were not more comfortable to me, because I have small ears and the pads of the BBP are ok for me, and the BBP was more comfortable to me in the headband. But yeah, if your ears don't fit in the BBP and fit in the S1+ (which are not that much bigger) you may feel them more comfortable.

Also a totally random question: over-the-ears headphones are more comfortable for glasses wearers as opposed to on-ear headphones, correct?

Hmmm, sorry, I do not wear glasses, but if I had to guess I would say that each option has pro and cons. The over ear would directly press on the arms of the glasses, the on ear would eventually/maybe press the ear which would/could press on the arms of the glasses.
I am afraid it is again a subjective thing and you would have to try yourself. Better would be not to send back the S1+ and order the BBP and compare the two and then decide which one to keep.

Pros of Backbeats Pro:
Active mute when headphones taken off (not sure if this feature is annoying or useful)
  Cons of Backbeats Pro:
9% heavier
Smaller pads
  Pros of Pendulumic Stance S1+
Slightly better battery life

The head sensor is an advantage, definitely. Whatever may be the reason why you want to wear them off for a moment, you will be glad that the music stops.
Anyway you can disable this feature any time.

9% heavier, are you kidding? :) If your head will notice it I would be surprised! But I admire your precision.

Smaller pads, as said, very relative thing. I never had a problem with them, nor many other people do.
I do indeed prefer large and deep earpads where my ears do not touch ANYTHING. But you do not find that often. And you, may not even want it or care about it.

S1+ better battery life? Do you really need more than 24 hrs in a row?

If I know my chickens I would guess you took your decision already and are not looking for suggestions but for permission.
I permit you to buy the BBP.
:)

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #1,961 of 3,643
[COLOR=0000CD]Also a totally random question: over-the-ears headphones are more comfortable for glasses wearers as opposed to on-ear headphones, correct?[/COLOR]

Hi Yobeats,

As someone who wears glasses I have found that Over Ears are generally more comfortable than On Ear, as On Ears tend to put pressure on the upper ear and squeeze the arm of your glasses between your ear and your head causing discomfort! The more pressure the headphones exert the more discomfort is felt, equally if the ear pads aren't particularly soft this will also cause more discomfort! There are some Over Ears which have very soft pads and have very little clamping force which can still be relatively comfortable but after testing over 15 pairs of a mixture of On Ear and Over Ear, and talking purely of discomfort caused by the glasses, Over Ear win every time!

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #1,964 of 3,643
I've been reading this thread for some time now.  I stopped using my headphones as much after getting some powered studio monitors and a usb audio interface for my pc.  However, I recently bought some Logitech G930's (I had gift cards to Best Buy) for cheap and I decided I really liked wireless headphones.  I plan to keep the G930's for my daughter, she loves using them for netflix.  I'm past the 14 day return window anyway.     

As of right now, I'm leaning towards the Backbeat Pro's and the Sony 950BT.  Both of those headphones are in my price range.  If I opted for the Sony's, I'd do the mods recommended on the 950BT thread.  I don't mind the headphones weight as long as they go around my ears and have plenty of cushion.  I will just use them at home.  I really wish I could compare these headphones side by side.  I'm no audiophile.  I have some Sennheiser HD518's and I honestly cannot tell the difference when they are connected to my macbook air and when I use a Fiio E07k dac/amp.    

Any suggestions for me?   Thanks in advance.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #1,965 of 3,643

Sorry, I meant they don't support AAC streaming.

I'm going by the B&O store to try the H7's today, and will report back.

Also, anyone tried the Parrot Zik 3's? I'm leery of their lack of support for AAC and Apt-X and claims that it doesn't make a difference...

What exactly is the benefit of AAC? All of my files are hi-bitrate lossless, and a large number are 24-bit. Is AAC just beneficial for low-bitrate files? Why should I care about AAC? I am thoroughly enjoying my Senns so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back