Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Dec 12, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,681 of 3,643
thanks

thanks techfixation.
so is the modded xb950 your personal favorite?

Yeah, I've yet to find another set of headphones that tick so many boxes! There have been a few that have come close but they're all let down by one reason or another!

If I was just listening to them with music I might be tempted to go with the Philips m2bt although I'd really miss the comfort of the 950's! As I watch a lot of movies with them though, the clarity, low hiss, comfort and huge bass make them clear winners! Considering they were at one point a nearly a 3rd of the price of the 1abts they're also incredibly good value for money!

Check out my comparisons on page 104 for an in depth look at the 950's and how they compare to 13 others!

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #1,682 of 3,643
My fantastic Logitech UE9000's headband snapped on a flight last week. Damnit, I love those things.

What's my best option for bluetooth/active noise cancellation/similar sound as the UE9000's? I listen to primarily EDM and (embarrassingly?) enough love the bass the Logitech's provided. I know, it's not pure audiophile style, but I've grown to love it.

Looking at the following so far. It's hard to find ANC BT models that tick all the boxes...

B&O BeoPlay H8 (not a huge fan of on-ear, but if they are outstanding....)
Definitive Technology Symphony 1 Executive Wireless
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless with Active Noise Cancellation
V-Moda Crossfade Wireless (no ANC pretty much eliminates these, which is a shame)
Sony MDR ZX770BN

By the way, I fly a ton and hate wires, hence the active noise canceling and BT requirement.

Thanks!

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #1,683 of 3,643
My fantastic Logitech UE9000's headband snapped on a flight last week. Damnit, I love those things.

What's my best option for bluetooth/active noise cancellation/similar sound as the UE9000's? I listen to primarily EDM and (embarrassingly?) enough love the bass the Logitech's provided. I know, it's not pure audiophile style, but I've grown to love it.

Looking at the following so far. It's hard to find ANC BT models that tick all the boxes...

V-Moda Crossfade Wireless (no ANC pretty much eliminates these, which is a shame)
Sony MDR ZX770BN

By the way, I fly a ton and hate wires, hence the active noise canceling and BT requirement.

Thanks!

From my experience there are very few others that have the same level of bass to the UE9000's and only 1 has ANC!

The Denon AH-GC20's have a similar sound to the UE9000's with probably a tiny bit more bass and they do have ANC. Unfortunately the ANC isn't the most effective and they also leak a huge amount of sound meaning they wouldn't be ideal for use on a plane!

The Philips Fidelio m2bt's have a better sound to the Denon's with equal bass quantity but they're On Ear and don't have ANC.

The Sony XB950's have more bass still and although they don't have ANC they do have great isolation and leak very little sound!

I can't comment on the headphones you've listed but from what I've read the Sonys ZX770's won't give you the kind of bass your after and the SQ won't match those of the ones I've listed!

Check out my comparisons on page 104 where I compare several others that I've tested as well as mods that can be performed to the XB950's which will really improve their sound!

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #1,684 of 3,643

Sony MDR ZX770BN

Thanks!

The Sennheiser Momentum Wireless appears to be your best bet since you like the sound of the Logitech UE9000. Won't be an exact match but the bass respose will be the closest to the UE9000. The Def Tech Symphony 1 is a great sounding can but if you like a really strong bass response for EDM you may find them lacking bass. Haven't tried the others from what I've read they aren't at the same level (don't know about the V-Moda but that doesn't have ANC).

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #1,685 of 3,643

Sony MDR ZX770BN

Thanks!

I loved the sound of the UE9000 as well but had to let then go because they were so damn big on my head. However, they were quite easy to repair (I think there are pictures of my repaired set in the UE9000 thread) Just take a strip of bendable metal (I used Aluminium) tape it over the crack in the headband with some serious tape (Duck or Gorilla) then cover the whole thing with tightly wound tennis racket handle grip tape. It makes a really tidy job, costs next to nothing and takes less than 10 mins. There are threads on here about using adhesives to make a really professional finish (if you're a little handy)

If you fancy a replacement I can fully recommend the V Moda Crossfade wireless. The sound is actually a little better than the UE9000 but has a very similar sound signature. The only shortfall was the width of the soundstage but I've heard this can be achieved using the XL pads. They have the same immense bass but with a bit more sparkle on top (I must add that I have a pair listed in the classifieds but I posted the same comments as above when I bought them in the Crossfade Wireless thread)

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,687 of 3,643

Is there some other kind of headphones that is on-ear, because MDR-1ABT is over-ear, right?

/Fred

Have a look at the AKG Y50BT.
They seem quite new, at least I haven't seen anybody mentioning them beside me in this thread, but they sounded just right to my ears. Not the most comfortable, but just compared to the on ears I tried they weren't as bad, only losing to xb950bt and Sennheisers slightly. I have not tried any Bose though.

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #1,688 of 3,643
  Have a look at the AKG Y50BT.
They seem quite new, at least I haven't seen anybody mentioning them beside me in this thread, but they sounded just right to my ears. Not the most comfortable, but just compared to the on ears I tried they weren't as bad, only losing to xb950bt and Sennheisers slightly. I have not tried any Bose though.

Oh yeah, I looked at those too.
I'll give the Philips M2BT a go first (already ordered), otherwise I'll definitely have a look at them too.

Thanks!
/Fred

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,689 of 3,643
Yesterday I did some tests with itunes-aac files to check which is better aptx or AAC. I used MDR-1ABT for testing. Source for Aptx was Macbook and source for AAC was iPhone 6

Initially aptx sounded much better than iPhone 6. in Iphone 6, highs were little bit sibilant, tizzy (i don't know how to describe this)

But later I tried switching off WiFi and 4G in iPhone 6. Then I reconnected iPhone 6 with 1ABT and wow, the sound quality improved dramatically. Iphone 6 in this case was better than macbook (aptx)

iPhone 6's AAC is unreliable, but if we are lucky that has best sound quality for itunes files.

After this test, I believe that iphone and headset negotiates for a certain bitrate and max is 264kbps in AAC. If they were able to negotiate max bit rate then I guess AAC is not getting transcoded and its sent directly to headset. or even if its transcoded, the payload (music) is not altered much as they just need to add some headers for bluetooth operation

What do you guys think about this?

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,690 of 3,643

Sony MDR ZX770BN

Thanks!

I had the UE9000's for 6 months until they started falling-apart. Indeed they were bulky and heavy, but sounded fantastic.

I'm with B&O H8's now and they just blow me away sound-wise. They have a similar profile to the UE9000's, but are far more revealing and of course you can switch the ANC off and on, as you wish. They're incredibly comfortable too, doubly-so for on-ears, the padding and leather is really plush. Try them, you may well be amazed. I cannot believe how much more I'm hearing in music I've known for the last 40 years!

Unfortunately the Sennheiser Momentum don't support AAC and being an Apple guy, they're not even an option. Totally beyond me why they didn't include AAC...

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,691 of 3,643
What do you guys think about this?

It doesn't surprise me that for AAC files the AAC codec can sound better if it is being transmitted to the headphones directly without having to be compressed. Aptx is a better compression technology but it doesn't say it performs as if the file is uncompressed. Though I don't know if a Mac is the best way to test for aptx. An android phone would probably be the most similar comparison to the iPhone performance wise (you can turn off WiFi and 4G as well like you did for your iPhone). You should try your test with FLAC or ALAC and see how that goes for another comparison.

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #1,692 of 3,643
It doesn't surprise me that for AAC files the AAC codec can sound better if it is being transmitted to the headphones directly without having to be compressed. Aptx is a better compression technology but it doesn't say it performs as if the file is uncompressed. Though I don't know if a Mac is the best way to test for aptx. An android phone would probably be the most similar comparison to the iPhone performance wise (you can turn off WiFi and 4G as well like you did for your iPhone). You should try your test with FLAC or ALAC and see how that goes for another comparison.

On Mac, it you ALT-click on the headphone on the BT icon then you see the protocol being used and in my experience it appears to set to the highest level possible for the headphones being used as opposed to the encoding of the source file.

On some headphones, I've noticed a distinct improvement with Apt-X over AAC, I have to say with the B&O H8's I hear no difference, this may just be because they have a better DAC, but I need to do some more controlled listening.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #1,694 of 3,643
Got my M2BT's and so far everything is good!
When listening on the phone you talked about something disabling "make sure the eq and volume limiter is disabled", where do I do that?

/Fred

Hey Fred,

Glad your happy with them, you'll struggle to find much better! Have you experienced the high pitch buzz I mentioned?

The settings your after are within the main settings under 'Music' but if you haven't been in there before the EQ is probably off already, not sure about the volume limiter?

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #1,695 of 3,643
Hey Fred,

Glad your happy with them, you'll struggle to find much better! Have you experienced the high pitch buzz I mentioned?

The settings your after are within the main settings under 'Music' but if you haven't been in there before the EQ is probably off already, not sure about the volume limiter?

I found the settings for that, thanks.
Yeah, there is a small hiss if I have the volume low, which is a bit annoying, but if I listen to music I don't notice it. I guess most BT headphones have a small hiss?

However, there is one thing that I don't fancy at all, and that is that there is a big delay while watching YouTube/any content on my iPhone 6 since it has a 1-2 second delay?
I guess a fix is to use the cable with them, but I kind of want to avoid that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back